X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medtronic "NitEye" bubble products

Just an FYI:

I was corresponding today with someone who has dry eye after damage from an acoustic neuroma surgery. He was interested in the Tranquileyes as an alternative to some costly disposable night guards he has been using. I was curious about what he was using so I looked them up - had never heard of them - and thought perhaps they might be useful for somebody here with severe night dryness if they happen to want a disposable protective product. I may just order some to see what they are like. It's so specialized that their customer service people and even local reps knew very little about it. The supplier, MedTronics (Solan/Xomed division) deals almost exclusively in products sold to medical practices not consumers but apparently it is possible for consumers to purchase these.

The cheap, non-sterile ones are called NITEYE Bubble Eye Bandage. They are described as "Clear, self-adhesive eye bandage used for "dry eye" medical conditions. Single use, non-sterile." They are $19 for 14.

The sterile ones are called NITEYE The Dry Eye Comforter and come in two styles, bubble ("Bubble comforter forms a moisture chamber over the eye area during rest. Easy to apply, hypo-allergenic and self-adhesive." 10 for $46) and flat ("Flat comforter. Easy to apply, hypo-allergenic and self-adhesive. Designed for glasses wearers." 10 for $41). No pictures are available for either of these.

Further info (well not really, but at to purchase them):
    https://store.medtronicent.com/home.php?cat=272
    or phone 800-535-4646
    Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 31-Aug-2006, 16:28.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

The Dry Eye Comforter

]The Dry Eye Comforter Bandage keeps my eyes moist all night. I have found nothing else in the 2 years since I have been suffering that works nearly as well. Contact Solan Opthalmics at 1-800-535-4646 These bandages are a hard plastic bubble surrounded by adhesive to be worn and create a sort of terrarium for the eyes while sleeping. This is especially good for those that have lagopthalmus.(impartial closing of the eyelid) resulting in severe dry eye. This product is far superior to the Tranquil Eyes product. Or goggles that I often wake up and discover I have removed while asleep.
    The flat bandage is way more expensive . I believe it is sterile. It is designed for glasses wearers and also to close to my eye to be very comfortable to allow decent vision. For those of you that want to try, the Boston Foundation for Sight will make scleral lenses that bathe your cornea in tears . It is a truly humane and civilized clinic and well worth the trip.
    Last edited by gaglianobabe; 01-Dec-2006, 08:18. Reason: spelling

Comment

picture of NITEYE

To see a couple of pictures of NITEYE The Dry eye Comforter, scroll down past the canaliculus intubation sets .

http://www.carletonltd.com/medtronic/med9.html
      Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Welcome gaglianobabe, and thanks for the feedback - good to hear from someone who has experience with this.

Do you currently wear Boston sclerals yourself? (I do.) It would be great to hear whether they have helped you as a number of people here have shown interest in this kind of treatment.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

p.s. Thanks for the pix, Cindy
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Gaglianobabe

I wanted to make sure which of the NITEYE products you were recommending.

Is it the NITEYE bubble eye bandage #90301XOM... price $19 for 14.

Or the NITEYE the dry eye comforter bubble #8590300... price $46 for 10.

Thanks,
            Taryn

Comment

Hmmm... This looks interesting, but I'm wary of the adhesive. I have used all kinds of different tapes, trying to tape my eye shut during the night. Whether they work to close the eye or not, they all have one thing in common: it is no fun AT ALL pulling adhesive off the skin around your eyes in the morning!

Also, looks like this could get pretty expensive pretty quick if you have to use it every night.

Comment

Working...
              X