Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi any alternative ideas to keep eyes moist at night as cant afford tranquileyes

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi any alternative ideas to keep eyes moist at night as cant afford tranquileyes

Hi all im living in the uk and am seeking an alternative to panoptx goggles for nighttime as cant afford them...What would keep eyes moist at night ither than the usual eyedrops,im using celluvisc and viscotears, any ideas would be gratefully received ...Im not using ointment as it makes them worse...Thank you for reading this and i send my love and best wishes to all fellow des sufferers on here....

Perhaps a gel

Gen Teal makes a gel for dry eyes. It is actually a gel substance like a gel toothpaste is. You squeeze it out of a tube. It is long lasting. I've been using it for a year and find it is the only thing that works for me. It isn't an ointment. It's more like a reallllllllly thick eye drop.

Billye

Comment

Check with Rebecca and see if she is willing to ship the Tranquileyes goggles to you. They are made to sleep in and much less expensive than Panoptyx. Here is the link for more info:
      Tranquileyes
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

CB, a cloth sleep mask works well too. You can buy one for $3-4 in your drugstore. I have several of those that I used before tranquileyes. Walgreens probably has them.
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I love my sleep mask...very inexpensive.
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Maybe looking at the wrong ones?

CB,
            In your post you said "panoptx goggles". Did you mean to say tranquileyes goggles? Panoptx are like sunglasses and not for sleeping. Tranquileyes are a soft moisture goggle that can be used for sleeping.

Billye

Comment

Panoptx would not be very comfortable to sleep in....

I believe Tranquileyes is available in the UK. If not, I think that the Dry Eye Shop is probably the most economical alternative. (We ship Tranquileyes anywhere, it's only the eyedrops we have restrictions on because they are technically drugs.) A Basic kit would be $39+13.50 shipping = $52.50 which is about 28 stg.

Agree with the others about sleep masks - cheap and very useful. As with pretty much any eye cover, put a good lubricant on first. A little cling film under it may also help keep moisture in.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Tranquileyes arent available in the UK. I ordered from the shop here.

Comment

Tranquileyes is VERY nice, and I love mine. But many of us have been using the cloth sleep mask you can buy in most drug stores. If you find one, buy a couple and you have one to wash and a spare. While not as eficcient as Tranquileyes, they would be less apt to cause you to go bump against your nose or pillow in the night. You would be able to sleep in any position since its just cloth.
                  Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

What exactly is a sleep mask? Is it anything like the cloth things you get on the plane to keep light out? And what is the lubricant or cling film we are to use? Thanks.

Rebecca said:

Agree with the others about sleep masks - cheap and very useful. As with pretty much any eye cover, put a good lubricant on first. A little cling film under it may also help keep moisture in.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Vicki, have a look at this link. It has a wide variety. The cheapest is "snooz" - airline style, for $1.95. Re lubricant and cling film, I was speaking generally, not about specific products. Lubricant would be whatever eye lubricant you use, cling film is common kitchen stuff (saran wrap or whatever).

SusieD, sorry for the bad info - thought someone somewhere had said they found the goggle though not the accessories, I must have just remembered wrong.
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

thanks rebecca, so you put the plastic wrap on your eyes before the mask? in the link they look like the ones i got on jet blue. I saw some really nice soft thick cushiony ones at the drugstore that were $10 but maybe worth it. They cool the eyes and if you want them more cool you can put in friodge or freezer. I would have bought them if i could put in microwve to heat. but not sure if it will work because thye natrually made to have a cold effect. Not sure if I need heat or cold for my eyes since I dont know if my meiboian glands plugged. But cant imagine my mbg works since my tears evaporate quick adn was told that is the oil layer insufficiency.

Comment

CB.

Like yourself i am experimenting with Viscotears 'preservative free' gel overnight, some success but not total, i too found ointment made things worse. I am on the look out for an el cheapo night mask in the Uk, just to see if it has an effect, i thought this would be easy to find.

So far i have not found one.

That is to say i have not found a plain black one.

I will do anything to make my eyes feel better but I draw the line at pink silk with frills and gorgeous scrawled accross the front (available in Asda as part of a gift set)

Even in sleep i have male pride.

If you find 'normal' ones please shout.

cheers
                          ben

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
                            SusieD, sorry for the bad info - thought someone somewhere had said they found the goggle though not the accessories, I must have just remembered wrong.
                            Actually Magellans.co.uk sell it as a "Jet Lag Prevention" mask. The travel kit is £35.

Comment

Masks in the UK

Prior to getting my Tranquil eyes from the US, I used to use the standard sleep mask that you get on long haul flights. Fortunately, I had a supply of them from many years jetting between the UK and Australia.

The next thing I tried was putting a cotton swab (moistened) over my closed eyes, then putting the airline mask on, this seemed to work quite well, but was never in place in the morning.

Then I got a gel filled eye mask from the body shop (Boots had them also), beware here that there are no doubt countless types of masks, but the one with the holes in it for your eyes is next to useless, go for the small gel one about £5.00 from what I remember. Mask similar to this one I have only included this link as an example, I have no interest in the auction.

Then came tranquil eyes, and I wouldn't go back to any of the previously mentioned versions. The Tranquil eyes specifically designed, sure they are a little expensive but I got fed up with spending good money after bad.

Sometimes, I just put the mask on during the day without the centre pads just for a bit of relief on bad days.

I hope this helps.

Ben, I understand about the pink mask, I cracked up laughing in boots when I asked the assistant for one and she returned with this hot pink number that contained sparkles and stars. She said would your wife like this one - I said yes, but she isn't my wife, she is my girlfriend and the mask isn't for her. Poor lady went the same colour as the mask and was really apologetic when I explained my condition.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Working...
                              X