This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep masks

I've worn my Silhouette sleep mask many nights now and am very, very happy with it. It looks very simple but it's very well designed. The nose bridge/cushion part at the bottom edge is designed in such a way that if I hike it up ever so slightly it actually holds my lids closed perfectly. I've been hesitant to pursue other sleep masks because they usually have a plush or fleece underside which I think should probably be avoided by people with dry eye, but I'm going to try out some more styles by the Silhouette manufacturer just in case. (p.s. if you look at the Silhouette in the Shop be forewarned I've already sold out of my initial stock but I'll have it back in tomorrow or Weds. at the outside - the company is located very near me.)

Haven't done much with the Escape because I really need the types that help my lids stay closed (Escape is the one with the eye cutouts on the underside, good for those who don't want anything touching their lids) so I'm looking forward to hearing what others think of that one.

I will always be a loyal Tranquileyes fan as I consider that the gold standard for its category, but I've been impressed with how much help I got from the Silhouette and I am grateful to those of you who mentioned your preference for sleep masks or I never would have thought to try it myself.

I get a lot of calls from people looking for night dry eye help for elderly parents. In many cases I've found that the hassle factor is a deal-killer for the very elderly (e.g. wetting pads, assembling goggle). So I think that well designed sleep masks may be a particularly good option for them.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Speaking of the elderly...Since I'm 25 and have DES and its already changed my lifestyle, does this mean im destined to have a horrible time when I'm older? I guess I'll hope for better drugs by then...

Comment

Comments about fit.

Rebecca,
      I just received my order with the Silhouette mask in it. For anyone who is considering ordering it, it is too big for my head. I have really short hair and a small face. So I'll be trying another one. I'm sticking it in my hospital bag right now tho in case of another unexpected stay, it'll do in a pinch. I am a tranquileye fan too, but wore my old American Airline mask in my recent hospital stay. And sometimes at night right now, I'm just too tired to prepare my tranquileye sleep goggles.

Billye

Comment

Bassfan --

I was thinking the same thing. I hope there's more drugs by the time we're old.

Comment

Same here bassfan, I'm 25 and suffering with extremely dry eyes since years! things are getting worse! I'm even considering of going to another country, where the air humdiation is higher! maybe to the amazonas??
          I hope they create better drugs later on! Restasis is unaffordable in the long run! Or else I'll have to put scelera lens, if I'd have the money!

Who knows! I'm praying

Sh.

Comment

Or else I'll have to put scelera lens, if I'd have the money!
            Shahara, scleral lens are no guarantee that they can or will fix dry eyes. I have invested $8,000 for a pair, plus another $5,000 for a refit of my left eye and am still not able to wear them. I've also invested $3,000 in 3 trips to Boston. So, please do not assume scleral lens will fix everyone and everything connected to dry eye. Nothing could be further from fact.

There is a place for scleral lens for a very few selective patients, but on a whole scleral lens for dry eye folks are waaaaay down the line of trial and error.
            Lucy
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Sorry the Silhouette was a poor fit, Billye but hopefully it will come in handy for something. More importantly I hope you don't have any more hospital trips that you need one for!

And sometimes at night right now, I'm just too tired to prepare my tranquileye sleep goggles.
              That's me to a T... I have found myself alternating between the Silhouette and the Tranquileyes lately. I'm going to toss the Silhouette in the washing machine with my laundry and see what happens.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
              X