This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain using tranquileyes?

I have just used my new tranquileyes and have had a bad experience with them. I experienced stinging in one eye when I was wearing them and all the next day that eye was painful. I also have a pterygium in that eye and it was swollen and red. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Can anyone suggest a possible reason/solution? Thanks

Originally posted by namoomoo
    I have just used my new tranquileyes and have had a bad experience with them. I experienced stinging in one eye when I was wearing them and all the next day that eye was painful. I also have a pterygium in that eye and it was swollen and red. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Can anyone suggest a possible reason/solution? Thanks
    Namoomoo, which type of foam was on the goggle at the time? The one lined with fabric or the unlined ("sensitive eyes") type?

The first thing that comes to mind is something about the foam OR the fabric that you're having a reaction too. Very unusual, but certainly possible. I would definitely discontinue until you can pin this down and get it sorted out. - Note that some people who use Tranquileyes do not use the center moisture pads at all in order not to have anything touching their lids - I suppose it might be a possibility to try that?

If you bought it in our shop, send me an email and I can send you some different types of pads to try. Some people use the Thermopads (thin dense white foam) instead of the standard foam.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for responding Rebecca
      I used the plain grey foam (thick) pads first, then tried ones that have fabric on either side. Both gave the same result. Which on is supposed to be for sensitive eyes? (Got my goggles from a supplier here in U.K.)
      I did try the goggles last night without any pads at all and it was better than the experience I had with the pads - but not that much different to no goggles at all.
      Not sure how I can find out what the problem is. I would really like to be able to use the goggles to relieve the symptoms so am keen for any ideas. Could it be something bacterial? Read on one thread about how someone uses saline spray to prevent bacteria??? Could you soak the pads in a mix of water and bicarbonate of soda? (I am using this to clean eyelids for blepharitis and wonder if the bicarb does something useful...but unsure about putting it in the pads to leave on my eyes.
      Thanks for your thoughts Rebecca!

Comment

I'm guessing

I'm guessing, but it sounds like to me that you have too much pressure on the eyes. I'd leave the center out on that eye for awhile. And maybe you need to adjust the strap. If mine are too tight, they will irritate the eyes because the eye rubs back and forth during certain stages of sleep and too much pressure might irritate that eye.

Billye

Comment

Thanks Silverlady.
          I did try them without the inserts the next night. They were a little better - but still irritated. But I'm thinking it may take several days for the irritation to go away.

Comment

Good

I hope it continues to improve.

Billye

Comment

Originally posted by namoomoo
              I did try the goggles last night without any pads at all and it was better than the experience I had with the pads - but not that much different to no goggles at all.
              I would not expect to see overnight results with this product... personally I found it was several days at least before I noticed the difference. I'll never go back to sleeping 'unprotected' now though.

Could it be something bacterial? Read on one thread about how someone uses saline spray to prevent bacteria??? Could you soak the pads in a mix of water and bicarbonate of soda? (I am using this to clean eyelids for blepharitis and wonder if the bicarb does something useful...but unsure about putting it in the pads to leave on my eyes.
              I wish I knew what to say about this... I just don't know enough to answer it. I would check with your doctor and see if he has a recommendation. You might also call or email the manufacturer and see if they have any ideas - they are very nice and very helpful. Here's a link with contact details.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

same problem

I also just tried out tranquileyes and it worked fine for my left eye, but the whole right side of my face including my eye is still in pain the day after. i don't think there is too much pressure because it is on the loosest setting. It did releive sum redness however. How can I use it without causing so much pain?

Comment

Originally posted by SparkyMarc
                  I also just tried out tranquileyes and it worked fine for my left eye, but the whole right side of my face including my eye is still in pain the day after. i don't think there is too much pressure because it is on the loosest setting. It did releive sum redness however. How can I use it without causing so much pain?
                  SparkyMarc,

I am sorry, just saw this. My first thought is that perhaps you were sleeping on your right side part of the night and ended up with too much pressure from the eyecup? If you're still having trouble you may want to leave the moisture pad out for a night or two and see what difference that makes.

In my experience - and from frequently trading notes with the manufacturer - most people just adjust to it unconsciously within a couple of weeks. But some people don't. In those cases a really comfortable cotton sleep mask can be a good alternative.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

A thought came to me

No one mentions using their night time eye drops with this product. You do know that the goggles do not do the job all by themselves for most people. For example, I soak my goggle pads while I put GenTeal Gel in my eyes. I then squeeze the pads out and put them in the goggles and put them on. I usually feel my way to the bed. (not far). I then apply GenTeal Gel at any time during the night when I have to get up to go to the bathroom. It probably wouldn't be necessary to use the gel again, but I do just for safety's sake. Then put my goggles back on.

Billlye

Comment

Working...
                    X