This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new tranquileyes user, help!

Just got my tranquileyes. The thermoeyes are not warm enough. They seem to be working properly but they don't make my eyelids warm at all. I've tried
    heating the distilled water in the microwave in order to help things along but I still don't feel that they are doing as much as my messy washcloth routine did.
    Needless to say, I'm very disappointed.
    I removed the thick grey pad, put in the thermoeyes after activating them and then added the white pads soaked in warm distilled water. Put some drops in my eyes and put on the mask.
    Don't see how they could possibly be effective when I don't feel any warmth at all.
    I'm also annoyed that I spent so much money when I could have gotten an eye spa pad recommended in "the dry eye remedy" which I'm reading for so much less. Unfortunately I ordered before reading the book.
    Any ideas?
    Sari, a disappointed newcomer who was so exciting about the possibilities...

Hi there, sorry to hear this.

Which kind do you have (microwaveable or self-activating)?

Originally posted by wsaber
    The thermoeyes are not warm enough. They seem to be working properly but they don't make my eyelids warm at all.
    Well, to be honest if you bought them specifically to warm your lids I'm not surprised at your response. I do not personally consider Thermoeyes used inside a Tranquileyes goggle as a warm compress specifically for treating meibomian gland dysfunction equivalent to warm washcloths or other warming products. Mind, for some people it may do enough in that regard but with chronic MGD you need plenty of heat and you need it right on the lids IMHO.

What Thermoeyes excels at most (again, just my personal opinion) is raising the humidity in the goggle very high while you are using the goggle, which enhances the effectiveness of the goggle. That is the way we describe it in the dry eye shop (but I'll go doublecheck that to make sure it's not confusing) and when I talk to customers on the phone. If what you want is something to liquefy clogged mg secretions, there are several options. There is Dr. Latkany's eye spa pad, there is our rice baggy, there is EyeFeel available through Dr. Tseng's office, and there's always various homemade options ranging from a microwaved potato to a heat pad. Also, some people take the Thermoeyes and hold them directly on their lids. I've done that with the blue ones (the ones you flick the disk in).

Hope this helps...
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

thermoeyes problem

Hi Rebecca
      I bought the self-activating. I think the description on the website was misleading or I misunderstood the purpose of the thermoeyes.
      I was definitely left with the impression that the point of the heat was to help with the liquifying the gland secretions. As you say, the heat is not sufficient.
      I'm left with the whole kit and the need to buy something else. I wonder
      if there is anything that you can do to help me out here.
      It was a difficult decision to purchase the more expensive set but I decided based on the descriptions that it really seemed to be what I need to deal with my chronic condition.
      Anything you can do to help with an exchange would be much appreciated.
      Sari

Comment

Just looking at this and realizing I hadn't answered - I think that I replied to the same question in another thread somewhere and in any case the member & I have connected about this off the board.

As regards what Thermoeyes are for... this is kind of delicate because different companies market thermoeyes different ways. I don't want to be contradicting any other vendor but all I can do is say my opinion. I like thermoeyes, but I do not and never have considered it a "warm compress" for MGD equivalent to a heat pack applied directly to the lids (like rice baggies or even warm washcloths) and I don't describe it that way in the dry eye shop. To me, the benefit of thermoeyes is as a humidity enhancer (turboboost?) to Tranquileyes. I think of Tranqulieyes as having three levels:

1) Dry: keeps drafts off, helps seal in moisture.
        2) Wet: keeps humid environment around the eyes.
        3) Wet + thermoeyes: maximizes humidity and soothing effect.

In my personal opinion, the people most likely to benefit from thermoeyes are those who use Tranquileyes for a short treatment during the day or who are willing to use Thermoeyes at bedtime and take the heat inserts out before sleeping. (Since they stiffen they are not really suitable to have inside the goggle while you're sleeping.) Or, keep it around for a "bad eye day".
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
        X