This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taping lids

Well, there's been enough talk about taping lids shut (and even a glamorous pic of Ian ) that I decided I wanted to try it and and at least get a sense of what it's like so I can talk more intelligently about it when asked. So, I ordered several different products (including hairstyling tape... thank you Cindy).

Last night I tried out the first two, one on each eye, & thought I'd share my experience for anyone curious:

3M Medipore Soft Cloth Surgical Tape
    3M Micropore Paper Tape

Both tapes felt the same when applied, and I think were equally effective, and felt about the same (ugh!!!) while I was carefully removing them.

HOWEVER, the lid of the eye with the Medipore soft cloth tape felt raw and exposed and still sticky after removal. I used an Ocusoft foam lidscrub in the shower on both eyes. But 5 hours later, all my eyelid and surrounding skin still feel raw and slightly sore on the Medipore eye. I will never try that one again. I knew paper tapes are supposed to be more appropriate, but I had wanted to get a feel for the differences.

Left eye, with the Micropore tape, felt fine after taking it off and feels perfectly normal now.

In terms of putting them on, since I'd never done it before I had to play around with several different ways to do it. I was surprised at how many times I failed - I first tried to apply fairly narrow strips sideways or up and down but they never actually held my lid shut. Finally I gave up and took a wide piece that covered my whole eye, because nothing less seemed to work.

I hated the sensation of tape on. It was not uncomfortable, but I just did not like feeling that I couldn't immediately see if I needed to. (Normally I'd just shove Tranquileyes or a mask up on my forehead.) I'm sure it's something I could get used to if I had to though.

Removal was a nervous operation. It peeled fairly easily but when I got to my lashes I was terrified of what would stay on the tape. When I looked at it afterwards though, it didn't pull anything out.

In terms of EFFICACY, wow. It sure works. I had none of that awful deep grit sensation in my nasty right eye when I took them off in the morning. It was very good.

My conclusion after this short experiement - if for some reason I could not wear Tranquileyes or a mask, and was in bad enough shape that I had to have good lid closure, I think I would be OK with using the 3M micropore tape, using the liscrub foam as usual in the shower and applying a moisturizer after that. I'm not really motivated to try it out for a longer period of time just to see how my skin reacts
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Thanks for this Rebecca......!!!!

Comment

Rejuveness hypo-allergenic cloth tape

You may also want to try Rejuveness hypo-allergenic cloth tape. Click http://www.rejuveness.com/1-Rejuvene...u6rcbjcscujqc7

Comment

Working...
      X