X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rash/Burn from tranquileyes

Hi guys,

I have been wearing tranquileyes while I sleep for a couple of months now and have had this problem from the beginning, but only recently got sick and tired of it and decided that it can't be normal.

I keep getting marks, more like burns than rashes (they are not itchy, but stingy when I apply moisturiser) the morning after I wear the goggles. I have included a picture so you can try and see what I mean. Maybe it is friction burn or something? The goggles rarely stay on correctly during the night, I think I pull on them and stuff while I sleep.

Surely this isn't normal? I'm getting very self-aware when I'm out in public with big red marks all around my eyes.

The marks are usually below my eyes on the upper cheek bone (see picture), and just below my eyebrow. Here is an example:

I am using the special dry eye tranquileyes kit, so it is the unlined foam I believe. It is just plain grey foam with no cotton lining or anything.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Definitely not normal, but hopefully solveable.

Anybody have relevant experience?
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

An allergy to the foam? I only mention it because my doc has asked me about the dry eye products I use a couple of times. I showed him Tranquileyes and also my Panoptx, both with are foam lined. He had a patient who needed something like that, but was allergic to the foam or something in it.

I've had no problems at all. Could it also be something like a heat rash if the foam gets moist (from perspiration)? Just some points to consider.

Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

This is most definitely not normal. I would agree it looks to be an allergy to the foam. I would suggest a typical sleep mask that you can get just about anywhere. I use one and feel it helps a great deal. Also, run a humidifier in your bedroom if you can stand to.

Diana
        Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

This happened to me as well. I have no idea why, I assumed it that maybe the goggles were on too tight or that I slept on my face. I wore them for months and months without a problem. . . but all of a sudden, red, raccoon eyes.

Maybe we are allergic to the cleaning agent. Or maybe the sponges aren't clean enough? - that may have been my problem, I think I should have changed them out by the time I began to get red marks.

Sorry I don't have an answer, but you are not alone in the problem. I stopped wearing them because I was too worried about the red marks.

Comment

Not normal possibly

Could it possibly be the eye drops/gel you are using at night? I've worn these goggles for over 4 years and not had a problem like this. But I do know that sometimes people have things like latex allergies. Not sure if this product has latex in it. Perhaps try a different foam (maybe the fabric covered one ) and see if it still does this.

Billye

Comment

Maybe we are allergic to the cleaning agent. Or maybe the sponges aren't clean enough? - that may have been my problem, I think I should have changed them out by the time I began to get red marks.
              Cleaning and cleanser related issues are definitely a possibility to explore if there is skin irritation going on. Like Silverlady I've been using this daily for an awfully long time and have not run into issues with this personally.

But details of daily care cannot be overemphasized, including:

- what cleanser is used? Personaly I've not had to be too careful about it but many people do, which is why Eye Eco has their own cleanser for it (to make sure it's got enough but not too much detergent)

- is it thoroughly RINSED after cleansing?

- is it cleaned thoroughly after each and every use?

- is the foam replaced regularly? (for example after 30-60 uses)
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Confessions of an irresponsible adult

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris

- what cleanser is used? Personaly I've not had to be too careful about it but many people do, which is why Eye Eco has their own cleanser for it (to make sure it's got enough but not too much detergent)

- is it thoroughly RINSED after cleansing?

- is it cleaned thoroughly after each and every use?

- is the foam replaced regularly? (for example after 30-60 uses)
                In the beginning, I was such a good rule follower. . .

1. I used exactly what I should not, antibacterial hand soap.
                2. Probably not
                3. No, I always rinsed, but did not always completely cleanse.
                4. Sometimes. I think this last time I was past the expiration date.

So, clearly, there was some operator error in my use of the product. It is a good product, but I think the maintenance was too much for me. I over-boiled a couple and ruined a few pots because I would get distracted, so perhaps, I am not the best example of a good Thermoeyes/Tranquileyes customer. I did find them to work better for me than regular hot compresses that would turn my eyes red, red.

Comment

<ahem>

Speaking of confessions...

1) Ditto. And I am afraid I have also readily admitted this to people who order over the phone. I probably need to be more aggressive about pushing the Eye Eco cleanser in order to be on the safe side.

4) There have been times when I have gone for months at a time with the same foam.

Washing and rinsing I've been very careful about though. And I had a recent 6-week+ long battle with on-again off-again conjunctivitis that helped "encourage" me to get back into better habits.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Rebecca, is the EcoEyes soap antibacterial? Just wondered, because I know that for me, all the anti-bacterial soaps cause dermatitis.

I only rinse and dry the pads--I don't use soap. I was thinking that maybe hanging them outside in the sun, in the mesh bag, would be a good idea, because sunlight kills bacteria.

Calli

Comment

Originally posted by calli66
                      Rebecca, is the EcoEyes soap antibacterial?
                      Yes.

On their site, their recommendation is antibacterial soap or baby shampoo.

I only rinse and dry the pads--I don't use soap. I was thinking that maybe hanging them outside in the sun, in the mesh bag, would be a good idea, because sunlight kills bacteria.
                      Personally I'd be comfortable with that. On the other hand, I no longer live someplace where the sun shines regularly enough
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I admit that my cleaning routine for the goggles has been very slack. I clean the foam inserts after every use, but I have been very laid back about cleaning the foam rings stuck onto the goggle itself, mainly because I was afraid of getting water on the glue and having the foam come loose.

Taking all your advice I put on a whole new set of foam today and will monitor how I react to it over the next night or two. I'm going to make sure I clean it with their specific cleaner too, as I had been using Johnsons Baby Shampoo up to now and who knows if it might make a difference.

Do you think I should clean ALL the foam (the inserts + the rings stuck onto the goggle) after every use? Would a sink full of water with a splash of cleaner and a gentle rinse be enough for a good clean?

I'm hoping that I can sort this out because I really like the effect that the tranquileyes have on my eyeballs (as in, my eyes are less dry in the morning), but these skin irritations are annoying

Comment

Originally posted by SamSamson
                          Do you think I should clean ALL the foam (the inserts + the rings stuck onto the goggle) after every use?
                          The rule of thumb is... clean the inserts after every use, and clean the ones stuck on the goggle as often as you wash your pillowcase. If you clean the 'surround' foams frequently they will have to be changed out much sooner.
                          Rebecca Petris
                          The Dry Eye Foundation
                          dryeyefoundation.org
                          800-484-0244

Comment

Good news!

Using the brand new foam, the red marks weren't any more irritated this morning than yesterday.

So it must be something to do with my care of the foam, or my use of baby shampoo on the foam. Something that I did to the foam anyway! I'm only gonna use their specific cleaner now and we'll see what the next few mornings hold in store..

Comment

Working...
                            X