X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranquileyes liners/covers

Hi all,

We have so many Tranquileyes users here that I thought I'd better post this info here for those who have not yet registered for my Monday dry eye bulletins.

This is an except from last night's bulletin and may be relevant to a number of people who are struggling to get just the right tools for protecting their eyes at night. I seem to be spending an increasing amount of time on the phone lately helping people troubleshoot Tranquileyes for special needs so whenever we have a new breakthrough I want to get the word out in case there's somebody else these tips could be helpful for.

-----

Drumroll... Two new Tranquileyes accessories that may be helpful for some of the severe night dry eye crowd.

These little goodies arrived on my doorstep this afternoon. They are both ways to cover the Tranquileyes moisture goggle, or parts thereof. Now look out, because I'm about to get into an obscene amount of detail that will be interesting only to some of us diehard Tranquileyes goggle users. And of course, having just received them I have yet to give them some good rigorous testing, so I will have to report back more next week. But based on what I already knew about them, and am now seeing/feeling up close, I'm almost certainly going to stock both of these products. Here's why:

1) DISPOSABLE LINERS.
    These liners are basically a pair of thin disposable foam pads (latex-free, hypoallergenic, etc. but not the super-soft viscoelastic type of foam that the moisture pads/cushions are made of) with a light adhesive on one side. Each liner goes completely over the whole 'eyecup' (cushion/moisture pad & all) for a single use, then you pull it off and throw it away. They were developed for the 20-minute Tranquileyes+Thermoeyes spa-type treatment - not for the overnight users like most of the DES customers - and so they convey only the HEAT not the water, i.e. none of the moisture in the moisture pads is going to get through the adhesive. However, you can still get the foam liner itself wet.

I see these liners as potentially useful for certain special dry eye groups:
    a) Those with special sensitivities, hygiene concerns, or unusual infection risk;
    b) Those who use products (esp. oil or ointment type products) in or around their eyes that they don't want to get on the foam of the goggle (too messy to wash);
    c) Those who want to sometimes use Tranquileyes without the wash-it-in-the-morning hassle... hm, come to think of it, you could use these with sleep masks too; and
    d) Those with major lid closure issues. In fact, when I put a liner on the left eyecup and put the goggle on that way, my very first reaction was "Wow, my left lid is not moving..." while my right lid still had some distinct wiggle room.

2) CLOTH DIAPERS.
    Oops, I really meant to say Tini Bikinis!
    These are thin, comfy, stretchy covers for the goggle available in brilliant hues and Hawaiian prints for frequent fliers... (check out eyeeco.com if you want to see all the patterns available).
    That, of course, is not MY interest in them. Two distinct possibilities I see here for this sexy, 3-snap, moderately annoying, cute in spite of itself, possibly very practical despite all the hassle, contraption:
    One, if you use them as intended, they'll cover the front of the goggle (I mean the rubber part away from the eyes), wrap around and get tucked in over the cushions on the eye side. Then you add the moisture pads. This should... (a) extend the life of the foam, because you can just toss the bikini in the laundry; and (b) raise the foam up slightly so that it puts more pressure on the eye. This may be quite useful for some of the lagophthalmos users, depending on how deeply set their orbits are. Tranquileyes fits everyone differently so it will depend on the individual whether the added bulk is a good thing or not.

Two... well, my first instinct was to use it exactly reverse of its intended use - against the eye, instead of against the rubber part of the goggle. I laid the bikini down over the foam side of the goggle and snapped it over the rubber side. Like the disposable liner only more so, this adds both bulk and tension to increase its role in keeping lids securely closed. Unlike the liners, this should permit at least some of the moisture to come through. I'll have to see how that works out in practice.

So, ATTENTION lagophthalmos patients (and their doctors): If you're one of those that does not use the moisture pads - out of fear that your lids will open and the pad will stick to your eye -, one or both of these products MAY prove helpful. I'll be selling individual pairs of the liners for people to try out. And as I said I'll report back more next week. Re: pricing, expect about $0.60 per pair or ~$18/month if you were to use & discard a pair every night.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Postive review for Tini Bikinis

I bought a couple of the Tini Bikinis to give me an easier cleaning option for the outer foam rings on my Tranquileyes goggles. They do a very nice job. I snap one on and leave it for a week. At the end of the week, I toss it in the wash and snap on my backup. I like the way they look, they're very comfortable (kind of a satin feel against the skin), and it's a lot easier than trying to clean the foam rings when they get dirty.

One note: The first time I snapped on the Bikini, I thought the outside snaps were supposed to go under the foam eyepads. It works much better when the outside snaps are placed outside the foam rings entirely. The fabric then folds nicely and evenly around the rings and under the foam eyepads.

Comment

Working...
    X