This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am dissappointed with the tranquileyes

First of all, I find the build quality rather poor. The foam that is supposed to be attached is falling off very easily, it is just not secure.

Secondly, the straps are not staying tight. Perhaps, it is not looped in correctly?

There must be ways to make it more secure. I notice that sometimes the goggles will shift a tiny bit the right, losing all effectiveness. Because the goggles have to be dead on center for them to stay on.

And lol, I don't know what to do, but they just keep on falling off my head/shifting around. I don't think I have gotten a good night there they have stayed on the whole night.

What else could I do?

Maybe putting a sleep mask over the googles like one of these.

or maybe I could I use the tape method to keep my eyes shut(I'm pretty sure I have that condition where your eyes don;t close all the way when you sleep...what is it called again?)

Hi, Strider.

Yeah, the strap seems to come loose nightly. I HAVE to keep it a little loose, though, because when it is snug, I have an erosion. Nothing can press on my eyelids, but when it is loose, it seems to work okay. I tend to put it on loosely and sleep on my back. That is the best way for me, and they stay in place. You may want to give it a try, maybe on a night when you are really tired. Also, it may be okay to keep it on for part of the night. I have dared a couple of times to take it off in the last two hours of sleep, and it has served its purpose, andI have gotten away without them for a bit of the night.

I have not had the problems with adhesion, since I was wetting them; I'm not doing that any longer. Do you used them wet or dry?

I hope that you have better luck with it!

-Liz

Comment

Well if I keep it loose, then it will move alot. It has to be snug. Sometimes it just falls off whenever I sleep lol.

I use them wet. Should I try them dry?

Comment

I tighten my straps more snugly than Liz does. In my case, I need them snug to hold my eyelid closed (I have lagophthalmos but no RCEs). If your straps are not staying snug during the night, you might have them looped incorrectly. It's normal to have to periodically tighten them, but if they aren't staying tight for even one night, something is wrong. It's hard to describe how the fabric should fit through the loops, but someone might be able to send you a photo or diagram.

If your eye foam rings are coming loose something is also wrong. Once you put them in place, you should leave them for up to two months. If you're taking them off every day to wash them, that will probably cause the adhesive to stop working. I cover my goggles with Tini Bikinis, which I throw in the laundry on a weekly basis. That way, I only have to wash the pads themselves every day, but the foam rings stay clean.

Comment

Yeah, if anyone a pic on how to loop it, that would be appreciated.

What is RCE?

Well its not that its coming loose that much, its that, it just slowly slides off. I just apply pressure again and they seem to stay.

Comment

RCE's are recurrent corneal erosions; they happen when the eyelid sticks to the corneal epithelium.

I wonder if your strap is twisted. It helps to just look at how it was looped, pull it out and straighten it, and then re-do it. That's what I did. It is silky material, and it is thinner on the ends than in the center. Those things together make it hard to work with unless it is woven smoothly around the plastic guides.

Terri has some good advice. If your problem is keeping the eyelid shut, then it might help to use them dry.

Terri, can you speak a little about the tiny bikini? How does it change the goggle for you?
            Last edited by liz56; 04-Apr-2008, 04:29. Reason: typo

Comment

I've been having trouble uploading pix lately but I'll try to take a photo of the threading and upload it tomorrow.

As regards foam coming off the goggle: I've troubleshot this issue with quite a lot of people over the phone and in almost all the cases that I know of, it came down to one of two factors:

1) Too much moisture on the cushions will loosen the adhesive prematurely.

This could be from...
              - applying water directly to the goggle (solution: remove the pads to get them wet)
              - putting too much water on the removeable moisture pads, with the result that it leaks over to the cushions on the goggle and loosens the adhesive (solution: make sure to squeeze the moisture pads out well)
              - immersing the whole goggle too frequently and/or washing too aggressively(solution: don't wash more than once a week and be very very gentle, or use a Bikini)

2) Poor adherence of the foam due to the way it was applied, e.g.

- There is residue from previous foam's adhesive on the eyecups (solution: 'roll it up' with your fingers, or use rubbing alcohol or Ajax to remove it)
              - The eyecups are still wet (solution: let them dry completely)
              - Adhesive is pulling away from the foam rather than the eyecups (solution: be very, very careful removing the white strip from the adhesive on the new foamset)

Hope this helps... I feel like I could write a book of all the tips I've learned through using this goggle or from users that call in with ideas. I really need to get them all compiled and posted here. The remarkable thing is that there is such a huge need for this kind of product that people will often do almost anything to get it to work.

Incidentally, since I'm on the subject... a random tip:
              If any of you experience facial edema with using the goggle (puffiness under your eyes when you wake up, even little indentations from the goggle without it being too tight) you might be putting too much water on it.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Well thank you very much for the response Rebbeca. It probably got lossened from too much water. It seems to be staying on if I press down and apply pressure, its pretty stable right now though.

That would be sweet if you could upload a picture, that would help a lot.

And I think I will try the pads dry, see if that helps any.

Thanks all! I will see if I can fool around with the straps in the meantime and see if i can get it to work.

Comment

By the way, regarding the foam coming off... I don't mean to suggest it's always a user issue. I get reports of it coming off early on the very first set sometimes. If it's coming off when it shouldn't, we'll always replace it - just call the office and let us know what type (lined or unlined).
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

I do not wet the pads and have found the foamy things are quite durable. I'll bet that it's the wetting that makes it "come off" too quickly. I know that doesn't solve anyone's problem, but thought I'd put in my 2 cents. Lucy
                    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Love my Tranquileyes

Someone on another thread suggested false eyelash adhesive for re-sticking the pads. I will be looking for some this weekend to try. I like the inner pads to be on the soggy side, so the water does work through the edges and weaken the adhesive.

I also have to tighten the strap once in a while. The fabric is stretching a bit over time, as the ends are getting longer, and I don't think my head is shrinking. (Well, I hope not anyway!)

I can't stand anything pressing on my eye either, and I'm frightened of anything that might cause another erosion, so I cut the pads in half thickness-wise.

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                        By the way, regarding the foam coming off... I don't mean to suggest it's always a user issue. I get reports of it coming off early on the very first set sometimes. If it's coming off when it shouldn't, we'll always replace it - just call the office and let us know what type (lined or unlined).
                        Thanks for stating this. Because I was planning on just passing it off as my fault even though I felt like it wasn't but I am glad you said this because I truly felt like it was properly put on in the first place. And I made sure that I squeezed all the water out as well lol.

I will give the office a call!

Thanks Rebecca for the info!

Comment

I don't think the strap tightening hardware has worked on my Tranquileyes for over a year. I just tied the ends on---and after a few adjustments, found the right snugness for me. The hardware it comes with always loosened up by itself and then the strap stretched out to where it wouldn't work anymore.

But I can't sleep without my TranquilEyes--I love them!

I used to have trouble with the pads, but I got more "exact" in applying them--it took maybe 4 pairs before I got the hang of it---now they stay on for months.

Calli

Comment

By the way... you can get spare straps for the goggles in the shop. (They're pretty easy to change out.) Also, Eye Eco will eventually be bringing out an alternative strap incorporating some velcro, which I think will be helpful for many of us.
                            Rebecca Petris
                            The Dry Eye Foundation
                            dryeyefoundation.org
                            800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                            X