This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taping Lids Shut

I tried taping my lids shut the other night using 1 inch paper tape and when I woke up and tried to remove the tape it really hurt my eyelids and surrounding skin. OUCH! I am thinking I might have used too much tape, but I am not sure. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for taping their eyes shut or if I should try something else considering there are a lot of options out there for keeping the lids closed at night.

I had a mess with taping my lids shut, Dave. I just went to Tranquileyes, and things have much improved since.

--Liz

Comment

Paper tape irritates my skin also

I have the same problem with skin irritation from paper tape. Try 3M's Nexcare Flexible Clear Tape (it's called Transpore in hospitals). It stretches and breathes and doesn't cause any skin irritation for me. You can also, as Liz suggests, buy a pair of Tranquileyes.

Comment

Thank you for the replies Liz and Terri. I actually do have a pair of tranquileyes, but I can't wet them because I have blepharitis and the extra moist environment might increase the bacterial infection in my lids. I have heard of a lot of people not using the moisture pads in tranquileyes so maybe I will try that or try some different tape. Thanks again.

Comment

Hi, Dave.

Have you tried your Tranquileyes dry? I cannot use them wet; it is not the right kind of moisture for me. I tried it dry after someone here said that it worked, and I have had success with it. If you use them dry and clean them regularly, it might be something that will work.

--Liz

Comment

Sleep Mask?

I'm sensitive to latex and many adhesives, and sometimes Tranquileyes leave red marks on the outsides of my eyelids (though I think I saw somewhere that the foam is latex-free). I've been using a plain, inexpensive sleep mask some nights and I find that it's not too much pressure and though I am not sure it keeps my lids closed, it does seem to help with reducing the drying effects of the air. If I've had a difficult eye day, I will use a sleep mask under my Tranquileyes (dry) because that definitely keeps my eyes closed and the texture/fabric of the sleep mask is less irritating to my skin.

Since getting all "plugged up" I don't use these as often, and it's usually not an issue anymore.
            Good luck
            Shoey

Comment

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=5411

Hi there, there's some tips on the link above if it helps. I find I struggle to maintain a similar routine each night, sometimes tranquileyes just annoy me, another time the mask just isn't game to staying put, and sometimes tape is the answer...
              just keep swimming...

Comment

Thanks for the advice everybody. I will give some of these options a try and hopefully some of them will work for me.

Comment

Glad Press and Seal

This thread made me wonder if my eyes were closing totally at night, since they were at my worst in the mornings.
                  So I tried the tape thing, uncomfortable , but seemed to help the dryness.
                  I tried the paper tape and pink hair tape, both were difficult to remove.
                  A sleep mask alone did not seem to totally solve my problem. I remembered somewhere , someone mentioning cling film,
                  and I thought about the new Glad Press and Seal Wrap. it has a light adhesive, so I gave it a quick test and it does adhere to skin.
                  And its lots less difficult to remove. I am not sure it will stay on the entire night, so maybe I will try it in combination with my airline sleep mask.
                  I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Sounds like a very creative idea. Let me know how it goes.

Comment

Crazy, the things we will do to beat this.

But, hey what ever works right?

I slept with my Glad Press and Seal Wrap on my eyes last night, no eye mask ,
                      Just the wrap, and it stayed in place all night.

MUCH EAISER to remove than tape. So I give this product a

Comment

i'm currently sleeping with these....

http://www.tshs.eu/en/eye-products/e...ing-materials/

they are great ...no more dryness in the morning...but they are very expensive so i use one more then once (adding some normal tape to keep them on the eyes!)

Comment

Taping Tips

I have eye lid closure problems when I sleep. I've been taping my eyes shut for a little over 2 years. I just use regular paper tape. For issues with removing tape the problem is typically the tape is able to stick to your skin too well, not the amount of tape you used. I make sure I use a good lotion around my eyes. I've found that Oil of Olay Eye Regenerist or Night Regenerist works well as long as you make sure it's completely dry before you put on the tape. If it isn't allowed to dry the tape won't stick. If you're a guy, you may not want to use lotion. Try using a teeny, tiny, almost nonexistant bit of petroleum jelly on your finger and then wipe most of it off. Then apply it around your eyes. If you accidently apply too much, wet a tissue and then wipe it off.

Comment

I thought this was an interesting topic, since nighttime eye protection is one of the big pillars in my DES management routine. I started a blog entry to serve as a catalog of nighttime protection methods. If I missed anything, please let me know.

Francesco: I added an entry for Ortolux eye shields, based on your post below. If you mind being cited as recommending them, please let me know.

Comment

I thought I should mention, I do not use the glad press and seal as tape, rather a eye patch. I put in my drops and or any lid ointments.
                              Then apply a patch to cover it all. I have had much less discomfort upon waking. It was weird at first, but I think it has helped enough for me to keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X