Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on cleaning Tranquilleyes.....

Hi...

I am new to this website and just love it. It has help me already.

I suffer from a very,very dry right eye. I don't produce any tears in the right eye due to my illness/trauma.

I just purchased the basic Tranquilleyes kit/goggles. I was wondering how do I clean the foam around the goggles and the inside pads? with the basic kit the cleaning spray was not offered and I did not purchase it.

I was wondering if anyone knew what can I use to clean them and keep sterile? such as a solution? would Walgreens or Walmart have anything to clean them?

Thank you,
    Summer

What I do:

Take out the pads after use and rinse them with plain water and a drop of some mild liquid soap, like Burt's Bees Baby Shampoo, press out excess moisture with a towel and air dry. Pat the inside dry, and then let the goggle air dry foam side up. Don't wash the goggle every day, or the foam will become unstuck--but when you do, just use the mild soap, rinse well, and press the excess water out with a towel, then air dry.

They're not going to be sterile no matter what you clean them with, but don't worry about that. The main thing to remember is that the bacteria grows in the presence of moisture, so as long as you dry the foam parts, they shouldn't need disinfectant or anything.

If you have any reaction from wearing them, like you wake up and your eyes are red, goopy, or irritated, then throw away the old pads and start on new ones.

Once a month when I change the goggle foam, I do a really thorough washing with detergent, and then set the goggle out in the sun for half a day---the UV sunlight is a great disinfectant.

C

Comment

Some people moisten the foam inserts prior to retiring for the night. I do not wet my goggles except to wash them. Like Calli said, sitting them in the sun to dry is great. I use a drop or two of Palmolive dish soap to wash mine. I can't believe how long mine have lasted with this gentle care. I luv 'em.
      Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Cleaning Tranquilleyes goggles

Thank you for your help Ladies.

Comment

Cleaning Tranquileyes Foam

I just got my Tranquileyes goggles a few days ago and am reading here how to clean them. I'm confused! Do you take the foam around the edges off to clean it or do you clean it while it is still attached to the goggles? I know that you take the removable center pads out to wash but am not sure about the other foam. Seems to me if you remove it to wash it, you would have to use some type of glue to reattach it to the goggles.

I bought the "bikini" to help with this issue but would like to use the goggles without it to see if they fit better so I was curious as to how to wash the foam that is around the edge of the goggles.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi, Summer.

I just use a basic anti-bacterial hand soap.

--Liz

Comment

Originally posted by infoseeker View Post
              I just got my Tranquileyes goggles a few days ago and am reading here how to clean them. I'm confused! Do you take the foam around the edges off to clean it or do you clean it while it is still attached to the goggles?
              No, it stays on. You wash it less frequently than the foam inserts (moisture breaks down the adhesive). You can immerse the whole thing in soapy water but you want it to be fairly brief & gentle. The foam is meant to last 1-2 months, then you remove it and replace it with a spare set (which has its own adhesive).
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks, Rebecca! I get it now.

Comment

Working...
                X