This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TranquilEyes Update

I'm into my third week of using TranquilEyes every night.

I've found that it's impossible to keep the little foam pads that go in the center of the goggles warm between squeezing the water out of them and inserting them, so they're not a suitable substitute for a warm compress (I imagine that's why they have ThermoEyes available then).

This week I discontinued the use of the center foam pads because I they kept bending my eyelashes over to a side every night. The base of my eyelashes also seemed to pop up tiny little bumps. I tried them both wet and dry. All in all I decided that for now they were hurting, not helping. So now I'm using them as a moisture chamber and will see how that turns out.

I'm still struggling to figure out a good fit. I wear them upside down because they fit better and the foam stays on better that way. The strap seems to either be too lose (or loosens up during the night) or too tight and pulls the foam off of the goggles.

I'm still pretty frustrated overall. It sounded like these goggles helped so many people so well and I seem to be getting a neutral to negative affect from them. I guess I'll keep trying for a bit longer.

EDIT: I also emailed EyeEco directly and got a response from the CEO (talk about good customer service!). She suggested cutting the moisture pads in half lengthwise to make them thinner, loosen the strap so that the goggles are just tight enough to block out light and not wring them out so much when soaking in the warm water. I plan to try these suggestions before giving up on them completely.
    Last edited by portrgirl; 16-Dec-2008, 12:59.

Portgirl- When "washing" my Tranquileyes, I just let them sit in a little warm water with a dab of Palmolive (or other liquid soap). I let them sit for maybe 5 minutes and then let the water out of the sink and fill it with plain water. I dunk them up and down a couple of times and then lay a towel and sit the goggles and other stuff to dry. I don't twist or wring the TE and mine have lasted just a really long time. For the record, though, I do not wet my pads or even use the foam pads. I wear my TE dry and they seem to work well and do last a long time. I've had no infections either. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Portrgirl,

I can understand your frustration with TranquilEyes, but maybe it'll get better.

I don't think of them as a warm compress at all. I use the warm rice baggy first, then put in gel and the TranquilEyes.

I don't use the inner pads any more--more hassle than they're worth--either too dry, or too dripping, or pressing too much on the eyelids.

The strap and it's "adjuster hardware." This functioned "like new" for me only about a week. The strap stretches out and the hardware slips and turns sideways---so it gets loose. I finally just tied the ends onto the slots, and after 2 or 3 nights of untying and adjusting it, I got it the right tightness. I've never adjusted it since, and now works perfectly.

The foam pads (not the inserts). A topic all to itself, when it comes to replacing them for the first few times---that's frustrating, too.

In the end, though, I worked through the problems in about 2 or 3 months: for me it was fit (strap looseness) and the foam not sticking ('cause I didn't put it on quite right). They work really well for me now---very dark, keep out drafts, and help my eye gel last longer.

I even bought and used regular eye masks when I was frustrated with TE's, but kept coming back to it, because it actually worked better.

Good luck, and I hope you keep trying,

C
      Last edited by calli66; 17-Dec-2008, 22:04.

Comment

Adjustments to the goggles

I am one of those weird people with a very very narrow bridge on my nose. At first I couldn't see much good from the tranquileyes. Then about a couple of weeks into the first pair, my husband turned on the bathroom light and I discovered I could see the light with my goggles on. It came in around the bridge of my nose.

After a conference with the CEO of the company they downsized the nosepiece a little and that helped but not enough. So I then took the nosepiece out and inserted a ribbon and pulled it until I couldn't see light anymore and then tied it off. I know I will have to make this adjustment in every pair but I've used them now for a very long time (years).

I keep thinking I'll buy one of the bikini's and see if it will do the same thing but just been too lazy. My headstrap stretches but I just tighten it until it wears out and then order a new pair. They now have straps available when you need replacement ones.

It probably helps that I don't move much when I sleep.

Billye

Comment

Thanks, you're all so helpful!

Since I posted this I've continued to wear the TranquilEyes without the inner moisture pad. I split a vial of TheraTears Liquid Gel between my eyes (works much better for me than Genteal Gel as it turns out) and put the goggles on. I can feel the moist environment and it stays this way for a while. I put in Refresh Plus PF drops immediately upon waking or any other time that I wake up during the night. This combo has helped significantly! Yay!

I think that protection/isolation vs pressure was key for me, but I still may try the moisture pads once again in a couple of weeks.

It really helps to hear that the bridge might need adjusting and that I'm not the only one the strap has stretched out on or that the side slides have gotten wonky. I'm just going to keep playing with it to get the correct fit for me.

Comment

Working...
          X