This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranquileyes Fit Problems

I just started using Tranquileyes, and I'm having a hard time with the fit. They weren't really fitting snuggly around my eyes (light and air were getting in), so I tightened the "scarf" that goes around the head. I woke up in the middle of the night and my left eye (the bad one) was aching - it kind of scared me. So I loosened the fit a bit, and it was okay (although my eye still aches a bit). But then it's not snug enough, and the air and light get in again.

I read that someone said you can replace the nose piece with ribbon (I have a narrow nose bridge and a small face), but if I make them more snug, I'm afraid it'll make my eyes ache again. I also read that you can remove the insert so it doesn't press on your eyes, but I really need the humidity from wetting the insert (although the insert is dry by the morning, no doubt because air is getting in).

I also wake up with marks and wrinkles around my eyes, and my eyes are slightly swollen (probably from the humidity). With constant use (and at age 48), this will probably cause premature wrinkling around the eyes, which is kind of a shame. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

There are a couple of ways to keep the pads from putting too much pressure on your eyes but still keeping the goggle held on firmly. First you might just try pushing the pads as far back in the goggle as possible and see if that helps. You may want to try the Thermopads - they are much thinner but it's at least a way to get the moisture in there without a thick pad and I know several people who use those. Or, you can take the existing pads (just the center part I mean) and trim them down slightly on the side away from your eyes.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

something else

I'm the one who replaces the nosepiece with ribbon. I also leave out the center and when I'm really really dry, I wet the cotton pads you use in removing makeup and put them in after I squeeze the moisture out of them. I just push them really far into the goggles. As Rebecca says, the thinner pads work well too.

Billye

Comment

I feel bad when I read about someone having trouble with Tranquileyes, either the fit or something else.

I've had one pair (with foam replacements) for well over a year. The headband is still attached and works. The goggles have molded to my face shape. I just ordered the "thrifty" TE and replacement foam because I'm afraid my current TE will break or fall apart as they are so old. I think Silverlady gave a wonderful suggestion for those whose nosepiece doesn't fit right. I love my TE and hope everyone can find a way to make theirs work. Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions

Thank you all for your suggestions, I really appreciate it. I cut the insert pads in half last night and pushed each half deeply into the goggle after wetting it, and that worked very well. I'll try the ribbon across the nose instead of the plastic piece and see how that goes.

Anyone else get wrinkles around the eyes or swelling when they wake up in the morning? It goes away in an hour or two, but looks pretty awful at first.

My eyes definitely feel better in the week I've been using TE, it's just a matter of playing with it until I find the right fit for me.

Comment

Possible cause of wrinkles & swelling

Salt, plain and simple salt. Too much salt in your evening meal or if you eat popcorn or have an extra glass of wine, it could cause fluid retention.

billye

Comment

I had trouble going to sleep last night and.......(you ask where is she going with this?).......and was noticing my Tranquileyes and remembering this thread. I have a rather small face with a narrow bridge to my nose and wondered why I didn't have trouble. While wearing the TE, I can put my index finger down through the plastic "loop" that holds the two eyepieces together. So, this middle part is not pulled out, but keeps it's curved structure. This may not be of any help, but i wondered how you other gals are having trouble and I'm not. Maybe your "middle piece" stretched out? I hope someone can understand what I'm saying here. Lucy
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                i wondered how you other gals are having trouble and I'm not. Maybe your "middle piece" stretched out? I hope someone can understand what I'm saying here. Lucy
                Hi Lucy and everybody,

my name is Rosanna and I live in Italy.

I ordered TE for my extremely dry eyes (I have corneal erosions and am under evaluation for Sjogren). After just one night I could tell the difference

However, I have been having huge problems with the fit. For one, my face is not very wide although the circumference of my head actually is (my skull is elongated, that is ). In fact, I wear glasses that are 49 to 51, 51 being the widest that my face can bear. I also need 135 mm temples because of the elongation of my skull. For two, my nose bridge is relatively wide, so I need a 17 mm bridge.

On top of it, I have big round eyes (Bambi style ).

All of this to say: my TE do not fit, unless I tighten them up very very well.

But if I do tighten them up, I get a bright red rash, which I don't know whether it's due to pressure, allergy (in fact it itches a lot, all the day long) or both. Furthermore, when they are very tight the plastic tightening clip gets near my ear, hurts me and... wakes me up!

I also can't sleep on my back for the life of mine (meaning I can fall asleep in that position and put my head on a travel pillow and... find myself in my usual left side the morning after), so I need to be very creative with pillow when I wear goggles.

Last night I did an experiment. I took the foam pads out and I taped them to my skin. The rash is almost gone, the eyes only required few drops of Hylo-Comod (and yes, I did check the ingredients: no phosphates, only citrates so it's all fine and can be used without danger) to open up and I could sleep with only a minor hassle.

Too bad TE come in a one size fits all model cause they definitely do not fit my face! I wonder what a kid with dry eyes has to do?

Rosanna

Comment

Hi Rosanna,

Sounds like you've got quite an unusual fit need and I'm sorry that the goggle is not working out for you. For a small company it is not possible to make multiple sizes of a product like that... you wouldn't believe the costs involved. But in all honesty, I'm often surprised that the goggle fits as many people as it does so well. I've worked with people of all sizes and ages of both genders, including many children (we have a child size strap which works well for many kids and some adults).

Because this is a unique product and many of us have no real alternatives, people fiddle with it in various ways to get it to suit their specific needs. Sometimes they rig something special for the strap, or (as Billye noted) for the nose bridge if necessary, and of course as you've probably seen on the board, there are lots of ways of working with the moisture pads. One of the purposes of this forum on night eyewear is for people to share their tips and tricks to get Tranquileyes or other products to work for their unique needs.

I have known some users who had some kind of reaction to the foam. If it's not the tightness and is actually the foam itself, some of them use plastic wrap over the cushions and find that helps.

Maybe using just the pads will work out for a good longer term solution for you? Another thought is this: Since you've got some unique sizing & comfort issues perhaps you might be able to find a sleep mask that is more comfortable for you. You could line the sleep mask with some plastic wrap and put the pads in that. (Just thinking of that as a possible alternative to taping.)

Anyway, please let us know if there's any specific troubleshooting we can help with. And on a 'business' note, the Tranquileyes kits can be returned for a refund if you're not happy with it.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                  X