This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranquileyes

I had Lasik 4 weeks ago and have a lot of dry eye problems, especially at night. I would like to try Tranquileyes, but am worried about any pressure (even slight) on my eyelids so soon after surgery. I can't find any recommendations about how long after Lasik it would be safe to use Tranquileyes. How soon have others used the goggles after Lasik?

You should definitely NOT use Tranquileyes before clearing this with your doctor. You could very well dislodge the flap. It was years after Lasik that I used TE. I don't think they were even invented yet. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

TranquilEyes comes with removable pads. If you don't use the pads, there would not be anything touching your eyelids at all.

(I can't answer your Lasik-related questions.)
      Last edited by painless; 03-Jul-2009, 19:31. Reason: typo

Comment

I had Lasik 4 weeks ago and have a lot of dry eye problems, especially at night.
        Since you're having "a lot of dry eye problems, especially at night..." you should ask your Lasik doc before using anything he has not approved.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I had lasik 7 months ago and have had "dry eye" problems ever since. I have some TE but find that they actually make my eyes worse, I think its something about the foam that agitates my eyes.... not really sure though and I only tried them out a few times.

Comment

Thank you for your response. I seem to be between a rock and a hard place. Genteal gel at night makes me blurry for hours afterward, so I have been trying to find solutions other than gel. Blink has been working well for me during the day, but last night I used it and now I'm very blurry this morning. I guess I am having an adverse reaction to one of the ingredients.

I do know I have a slight lagophthalmous while sleeping and my surgeon told me to use Genteal Gel. I hate using it if my eyes are blurry for hours afterward. It doesn't seem like they are blurry from any residual oil, but it seems different than that. In my undeducated opinion, it seems like it "roughs up" the corneal surface. When I put in other drops afterward, like Thera Tears, vision is pretty clear until I start blinking, then it goes back to blurry. This is very frustrating and maybe I'm over analyzing. Unfortunately, the surgeon has no patience for questions and I can't seem to get him to take me seriously. Just "be patient". Any words of encouragement?

Comment

Originally posted by Katerific View Post
              Unfortunately, the surgeon has no patience for questions and I can't seem to get him to take me seriously. Just "be patient".
              I know how you feel. All the docs I've been to just try and rush me through any post-op consults telling me everything looks fine and that these things have a way of working themselves out. I figure what the doc is really thinking is: "your screwed, nothing I can do to help you now, thanks for your money, now get the @&#% out of my office!"

That being said, my eye pain has improved a good bit in the last 3-4 months or so. I'm still not close to be happy. Hopefully the new opth. I see on Monday morning has some compassion and is willing to work with me to improve my condition.

Comment

Unfortunately, the surgeon has no patience for questions and I can't seem to get him to take me seriously. Just "be patient". Any words of encouragement?
                Katerific, I'll bet the surgeon had patience to wait while you paid out the several thousand dollars to pay for your Lasik surgery, before the fact. They never do it before they get paid. Since you paid him substantially, you need to get him on the phone, or in an appointment and press him for answers to your questions. No one on here is qualified to answer your question(s). We're like you, a bunch of folks who didn't do too well from the same surgery.

I know that I wouldn't use a mask to sleep in 4 weeks after Lasik or any refractive surgery. Ever hear of a dislodged flap? Big trouble compared to what you have now. Same logic they don't want you to play contact sports etc for some time after lasik. Your doctor is obligated to tell you this. If he doesn't, go nag him, call him several times a day, or even go to his office unannounced. See what he says then. Yes, I've done it myself.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I switched Dr's after my lasik. After three months of being given the run around I decided to shell out money to see a new Dr. It was hard for me to do this having spent $3,000 on one eye but it was the best thing I did.

I scheduled an apt with my Lasik Dr. a day after my new Dr and would you believe me if I was to tell you that my lasik Dr. was unable to see anything wrong with my eye, no inflammation, no dry spots....after doing this about 5 times I left my Lasik Dr. altogether as it was just too depressing to realize that I had allowed this man to mess with my eyes. Just typing it I can feel the anger rising within me. I would love to get hold of him and tell him what a sham he is.....this is a man who told me when he puts puts plugs in my eyes that his wife wears them full time as her contacts bother her, but once she delieveres her baby she will have Lasik so she doesn't have to be bothered with contacts again. Moral choice for me. Tell him the dangers of dry eye and lasik or allow his to hold his loved one as she cries in pain and fear...

So you have a choice. You can try to get your surgeon to take you seriously, and shed a lot of tears and experience a lot of frustation, or you can find someone who is fanatastic, who cares, and will help you, we have a "plug a doc" section her for that very reason.

Your Lasik Dr. wants you gone, you are a bad smell and a reminder of the dangers of money making industry. You are a guilty conscience...and that can get in the way of business.

There are many people on this site with Lasik inuced dry eyes, and despite the pain you are in it will improve. I can't tell you how much it will improve or how long it will take but it will gt better, But it takes time, trial and error, much fear and frustration, but remember you are not alone with this, there are many Lasik dry eye people here.

Good luck and keep well,

Bernadette

Comment

Thanks for your help everybody. I will press for answers from my doctor. At 2 weeks post-op I did go for a second opinion from another ophthalmologist in town. He said I was healing OK, but that I have dry eyes, and am undercorrected in one eye. He gave me a glasses prescription which really helps. I asked if punctal plugs would help and he (the second opinion doctor) said he doesn't think I need them. I did have Schirmer test done and it confirmed dry eyes, but I don't know the number.

I have been trying to make the dry eyes better on my own by taking vitamins and flax oil, eliminating all air movement in the bedroom, trying different eyedrops and gels and wearing sunglasses in the car. I could reduce my time on the computer, but I don't really want to.

Many of you on this board talk about eye pain. I don't any kind of pain. It's just that the dryness is uncomfortable and makes my vision blurry. Part of my problem is that I tend to be a perfectionist and this isn't perfect. Before the surgery, my intellect understood that I may not go from -5.00 to plano, but my obsessiveness is trying to improve the -.75 in the right eye that greatly improves when it is well lubricated. The psychological impact of this surgery is difficult for me. I think I need to get a different "hobby."

Again, thanks everybody for your kindness and compassion. You have helped me.
                    Kate

Comment

I'm 7 weeks post-op now and have talked to my Dr about Tranquileyes. He said I could use them so I ordered them from The Dry Eye Shop and they arrived yesterday. I wore them last night and I was able to sleep on my side, which was great. I was afraid they would come off, but they stayed on all night! After about 20 minutes I took out the moisture pads because the sensation of something touching my eyelids was bothering me. Do they make smaller moisture pads? I want the moisture, but not the pressure on my eyelids. I also ordered the Thermoeyes and will try using the little white pads (without the heat inserts at night) instead of the moisture pads.

Comment

Working...
                      X