This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranquil Eye foam pads not lasting more than a week

First off I would like to say that TE works just fine for me. I use them nightly and with the foam inserts out and thus dry. The problem is that the pads come unglued about every 7 days or so. So I have to replace the foam and am constantly reordering.

Is there any type of adhesive that can be applied to the foam that can alleviate this problem? Surely there must be a way around this.

That just shouldn't be happening - especially using it dry. Any pads that come off that fast should be replaced by the manufacturer for free. There have been issues with this off and on in the past - however I know they recently increased the amount of adhesive. So if you got them in the dry eye shop please contact me there (service@dryeyeshop.com) and I'll replace them asap. If from EyeEco contact them and I know they will be happy to replace them.

A good way to prolong foam life if you have this issue even with the improved foam is with a "tini bikini" wrap.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Here's a possible tip for the foam problem:

When I get ready to replace foam, I thoroughly wash (scrub with a brush) the eye cups with DETERGENT----powdered washing machine detergent put on directly--I scrub with that. I rinse it off and then dry the goggles in the sun for several hours.

My theory is that residual skin oils stay on the rubber, and that keeps the adhesive from attaching securely. Completely washing all that off with strong detergent helps. Try it.

C

Comment

I second Calli's response. Anytime you change the pads you need to make sure you get any and all residual glue from the prior set off the rubber eye cups. I usually first use my fingernail to scrape the glue off, then clean the rubber with liquid soap. Clean the cups thoroughly and let them dry before applying the new pads. Anytime you apply any kind of adhesive to any kind of surface that surface should be clean or the adhesive won't work properly.

Also, make sure you're lining up the glue strip of the new pads properly on the rubber so it isn't partially off the cup and drying out.

The pads should stay put.

Comment

thanks all for the suggestions. I was cleaning them thoroughly and drying them before attaching new pads. Maybe I just got a bad batch or I need to do a better job.
          Has anyone considered using velcro as a way around this problem or using an extra commercial adhesive?
          How long should the pads be expected to last?

Comment

Hello, I have had the same problem even if I wash and dry them thoroughly. I recently attached and a pair of pads to the goggles using a glue gun. It has worked like a charm! My pads have not budged in a couple of weeks.

Comment

I really want to caution against the use of any common adhesive on the goggles because it may not be safe for use near the eyes.

There seems to have been another 'problem' batch recently (had several reports of foam coming off almost immediately). The manufacturer has been doing several things to address this, including increasing the adhesive and increasing the width of the strip of adhesive so that it is easier to apply when you take off the white tab without damaging it. The latest step is to provide extra adhesive that you can use to spot-repair any foam that is coming away prematurely.

Here's the adhesive -

http://www.nexternal.com/tdec/Product341

It's backordered at the moment but I will have it by Friday so any orders placed should ship Friday. This adhesive is now included with all new Tranquileyes kits.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Will the adhesive strips for repairs be available with orders of replacement pads?

That was a good suggestion (the TranquilEyes instructions) about using Comet or Ajax on the rubber after 3 sets of pads. I've had difficulty recently with the adhesive. The foam usually stays down, but it's not exactly "attached"----rather, the adhesive is weak and sort of 'gooey'. You can press the foam back down, but it "moves around."

C

Comment

Originally posted by calli66 View Post
                  Will the adhesive strips for repairs be available with orders of replacement pads?
                  C
                  It's listed as a separate item in the shop at no charge, so just add one to the cart when you order foam. It's included with goggle kits.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Simply Defective

I used my device a total of six times before the foam separated. I was aware of the reported problem before I bought them, and I should not have purchased them. One gets in a lazy habit, though. Usually vendors don't sell demonstrably faulty products and it is easy to float on that wave.

One has to wonder if the benefits of tranquileyes can't be delivered another way, and the store stop carrying these products. I am not interested in returning them, purchasing more faulty adhesive, and so forth--too bad there isn't a smily for lazy. But, it's Christmas, lots to do.

Comment

Yeah, I still have this problem, too. Haven't ordered replacements yet, though, or the patch-adhesive. I was really careful when I put on a new set last time--cleaned the goggle thoroughly with clorox soft-scrub, alcohol, dried at least a day. This used to be good enough, but not anymore.

I'm OK as long as "most" of the foam adheres, and I won't give up on TranquilEyes, either. I'm totally dependent on them for getting me through the night. At some point I'll probably have to buy a new pair and start off fresh.

C

Comment

Chemia & Calli,

Have you purchased any foam since I got the new ones (about 2nd week of November) after they changed the process by which they do the adhesive? Suzanne explained some things about the foam problem in the recent chat session. If you remember in the past when the adhesive pulled away it was pulling away from the foam - but this recent flare it was totally coming off the rubber eyecup not the foam. They've fixed that with a new activator for the adhesive. I haven't had any complaints about any shipments after I started shipping the new foam (about 2nd week November I think - although at that point I still had some goggles with old foam and I shipped those with free extra foam) but if anybody has had this problem after ordering the brand new ones I really really want to know please...

Jan

I wish you (and anybody else who feels this way) would return it for a full refund as offered in the shop rather than just posting here in this way. (If you've written or called in the last several days and I didn't reply, apologies but I have been out of town.)

As for making it available despite the foam problem, I want to comment on this:

I run the dry eye shop as a service, because I want to meet real needs, and I wouldn't continue selling something I know to be defective just to make money. Tranquileyes is one of the most important products on the market for dry eye and I work with a large number of people around the country and world who are totally dependent on these goggles. The foam problem affected only some foam, not all. If I have to choose between (a) discontinuing a product of this importance till it's perfect, and (b) continuing to sell it while trying to keep people informed and helping motivated users with workarounds, providing replacements for any defective parts, etc, I'm always going to pick (b). If this bothers people all I can say is I'm sorry.
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

Rebecca,

Will the new foam work on the old goggles? I hope so. I just wonder sometimes if the rubber on the (my) eyecups is too far gone to accept the new adhesive.

I'm ready to order new foam as soon I as I hear from you.

Calli

Comment

Originally posted by calli66 View Post
                            Rebecca,

Will the new foam work on the old goggles? I hope so. I just wonder sometimes if the rubber on the (my) eyecups is too far gone to accept the new adhesive.

I'm ready to order new foam as soon I as I hear from you.

Calli
                            It's supposed to bond correctly to goggles people already have.

Just one caveat (something relatively new to me, I think I might have mentioned it in one of the bulletins but on the other hand may have forgotten to) - the manufacturer told me that there is a limited life to those eyecups in terms of how long the adhesive will take. (Bearing in mind the reason adhesive has been such an issue is that the foam and the eyecup materials basically repel each other.) They recommend replacing the goggle every year or so I think.

One of the reasons I mention that is... prior to this unusual spate of adhesive problems late summer/early fall 09 where the adhesive was falling off the goggle, I always had a handful of users who consistently had early pulling away of the adhesive from the FOAM despite using and washing it properly - I never really could understand at the time why that was so I just replaced the foam whenever I heard of it and the same thing would happen. I did not know back then that goggle age could affect it but I'm thinking now it's possible it might be the explanation at least for some cases.
                            Rebecca Petris
                            The Dry Eye Foundation
                            dryeyefoundation.org
                            800-484-0244

Comment

p.s.

Calli,

Another option if you DO have any trouble with new foam on old goggles (parables about wine and wineskins coming to mind here ) would be to send the goggle to Eye Eco so they can pre-treat it with an activator before applying foam. Or send it to me and I can deal with that.

Chemia,

Regarding the heat pads... just curious if you're using them under the thermopad as in the instructions. Personally I do not find this method provides enough heat either. If you're looking for a way to do the equivalent of a warm compress & really want some heat on the lids you might try the reverse, the heat packs on top (or even lay them directly on the lids). - Regarding the foam, sounds like you got some from a bad batch. I would encourage you from a hygiene standpoint not to leave the duct tape solution on there for too long. I am sure EyeEco will replace your foam if they know what happened. They are super nice people and their number is 888-730-7999 (west coast time).
                              Rebecca Petris
                              The Dry Eye Foundation
                              dryeyefoundation.org
                              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                              X