demodex?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• demodex?????

Hey again everyone. I am trying to lean on you guys to help me try to better understand why I am not getting better. Ths blepharitis is getting me down and I am now looking at these eye dust mites demorex I think that is how its spelled. Can anyone give me any insite on this and how its treated my dry eye dr does not do anything with testing for them but said I might have them. I only have heard of one dr in miami doing anything with them but cant give up on the great dr I have to fly all the way across the country to see if I have them. I am having a hard time with the mgd/bleparitis sorry to lean on you all im just trying to find if this might have anything to do with it. thanks for anyone that responds.

demodex

Hi Mike, the mites are called 'demodex'. You might want to do a search of the bulletin board. There are a few threads about demodex and demodex blepharitis. It's my understanding that your doc can pluck out an eyelash and look at it under a microscope to see if you have any of the critters hanging on to the eyelash shaft. They are active at night and burrow during the day hence the need to pluck the lash (and why your doc can't see them during an exam w/o pulling a lash).
    Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Demodex is the genus of a common skin parasite of dogs. Probably not the same species as what you might have but the same medications should work to clear it up. In animals Ivermectin works well with nearly no side effects. I thought someone mentioned ivermectin eyedrops a while ago.

Comment

Thank you for the replies I did a search on it and I asked my sr about it after reading on here and asking questions bofore about this. My dr said I might have them but doesent check that that is all he said he said my blepharitis is sorrebic and that I have mgd and that is what alies me. But its been a year with out reliefe I just started seeing this new dry eye dr and he is great the only thing is when I asked him that is what I got was we really dont see it on the slit lamp an dI am familur with it. So I would love to know if I have it in search for answers I hate that I am always searching and this condition condition has brough me to this low. I just would think that after a year of having nothing more then mgd I would be feeling better. The dr said my eyes look great but the glands are very plugged and that is a good thing that nothing more is wrong but I feel so horrable. I guess it could be worse more could be wrong but I have been brought down by this condition. Is there anything over the counter that can help or can treat this I cant fly to miami to see if I have this or is there somewhere in new england anyone knows about to see if I have this. I wont give up on my dr he is a great man that seems truelly in search of making everyone with this better. thanks again guys for the info.

Comment

In this thread there are some treatment options: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...hlight=demodex

Treatments:
          http://www.emedicine.com/oph/topic517.htm

"In/Out Patient Meds:

* 50-50 mixture of baby shampoo and water

* Erythromycin ointment

* Mercury oxide 1% ointment

* Pilocarpine 4% gel

Prognosis:

* The prognosis of symptomatic relief from D folliculorum is very good.

* Clinical experience shows that total eradication is unlikely, but the mite population can be brought down to an acceptable level with little effort and easily maintained with proper hygiene.

* Recurrence of the symptoms is possible if proper hygienic measures are not used.

Patient Education:

* The suggested home treatment, including the eyelash scrub technique, should be demonstrated to the patient.

o Soak the washcloth in warm water, and wring it.

o Apply enough baby shampoo to form lather on the washcloth.

o With the eye closed, massage the lashes on the lid margin, moving from left to right, 15 times. (Do not touch the eye itself.) Repeat on the other eye.

o Rewet the cloth, and rinse off the shampoo.

o Squeeze 1 inch of the ointment onto the index finger and gently rub into the lashes with the eye closed. Repeat on the other eye.

* To the eye care professional, the presence of Demodex species together with symptoms or signs of lid inflammation is of greater concern than the prevalence of Demodex species in a general population."
          -------------------------------------------------------------
          I followed this treatment regimen for awhile w/o benefit of a demodex diagnosis. I figured it couldn't hurt. The ointment applied at night on the lashes supposedly immobilizes (traps) the creatures when they venture out.
          Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Thank you very much cindy

Comment

Hi just wanted to put this out there in terms of demorex mites. I had mild blepheritis a while ago, i had alot of eye lashes falling out, but i got it under control, using baby shampoo, but not completely. i dont think blepheritis is causing my eye symptoms, but im testing the thoery that i might have these mites anyway.

This could be a treatment (below) for people who know they have actually got these mites. Ive statred using it on my eye lashes recently. My family has a friend who discovered this head lice treatment, it has only just come on the market in the UK called (hedrin). It is not a chemical unlike other headlice products, so they do not develop an immunity, it is silicone based product:

Hedrin 4% Lotion is the UK’s first and only licensed medicine specifically developed to eradicate head lice without neurotoxins and the resistance issues commonly associated with them. Available over the counter, Hedrin offers an effective head lice treatment using ingredients with good safety profiles.
              Hedrin’s active ingredient, 4% dimeticone, is delivered in a silicone-based lotion that effectively kills lice by encapsulating the insects, and thus disrupting their ability to manage water.
              It is safe for the eyes as it has been tested in rabit eyes in the early stages of development. it does not irritate my eyes, at all.

So i have a hunch, and so does my mums friend, that it could work in the same way-killing these demorex mites.. due to this discovery the active ingredeant is patented for other things like to kill MRSA in hospitals. And being looked in to to use on carpets etc to kill dust mites etc. Years ago when i was younger and i got headlice from younger brothers and sisters she gave us an unlimmited supply, and when all the other things on the market failed, like tee tree oil, electric comb, chemicals etc. This stuff really worked after two applications-which resulted in cure of nits and eggs. I remeber before this i used to have the damm things for months on end. It is a real mirricle for my little sister who seems to get headlice all the time.

Don't know if u can get this in the states, or something simular but it is something to think about anyways. It may not help me coz i might not have these mites but it mite help for someone who does.

http://www.thorntonross.com/hedrin/

http://merck.micromedex.com/index.as...44&news=health
              Last edited by sazy123; 09-Mar-2006, 10:44.
              I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Has anyone been treated with any sucess for the demodex? I have not spoken to anyone that has been diagnosed properly and treated. Do it help. The most I can get out my dr is that I might have it I cant find anyone to test me?

Comment

Working...
                X