This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why use ocusoft wipes??

i am currently not using them.. i have had 1 doc tell me to use them and numerous docs to say not too. i know its impt to use them if you hvae the white flaking on the lashes but do the wipes itself really help the clogging of glands? i never found them to...
    Jenny

They are supposed to help with the bacteria some people have a problem with; that bacteria can contribute to the white flakes. I've had doctors encourage me to use them and one doctor who said not to. The doctor that said not to, doesn't like them because they can also kill good bacteria (like antibiotics/yeast infections); he's also against any chemical anything (no baby shampoo either). One of my doctors said stick to sterile saline (not the contact kind) but once a week use an Ocusoft or similar product.

I haven't found any "cleaning" to really help me either way but I don't have any white flaking either so that may be why. Usually I use a warm washcloth (sometimes after a warm compress of at least 6 minutes) to wipe my eyes in the morning, which gets any excess from drops I've used in the night. On occasion I use saline, tea tree oil or Ocusoft but since realizing it really doesn't make a difference for me, I'm pretty haphazard about it.

Comment

How do you use the tea tree oil to cleanse your lids? I would imagine it is very dangerous to get the tea tree oil in the eyes?

Comment

thanks.. i didnt see a difference either when i used them but it seems so many people use the wipes... i usually just wash with a clean wash cloth and cerave
        Jenny

Comment

I've used tea tree oil in a couple of ways and once did get it in my eye (OMG, ouch is putting it mildly although the next morning my eyes really did feel pretty good). When I travel, I use Trader Joe's tea tree oil facial wipes. At home, I've used Qtips and my fingers. I tend to like using my fingers the best; I put the oil on my fingertip by tipping the bottle against it and then put water on the opposite hand's matching finger, rub together and then rub over my lids. I wipe with a dry finger and then let air dry as best as I can before opening my eyes again. One of my doctors said he's not fond of using Qtips because it's too easy to jab yourself and recommends using a towel.

According to one of my physicians, there was a study a while back where there were kids that had recurring pink eye and they actually put tea tree oil IN their eyes (they had to hold them down to do it) and it cured the infection once and for all. I haven't seen the study though so not sure what to think about it particularly since there are some dangers with tea tree oil: http://www.livestrong.com/article/11...-tea-tree-oil/

Here's a good thread on tea tree oil: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...light=tea+tree

Comment

I have recurring pink eye. I might discuss tree tea oil w/ my eye dr. Might be a last resort.

Comment

Working...
            X