Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it safe to use Sodium Bicarbonate paste mix to dissolve thick waxy crusts?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it safe to use Sodium Bicarbonate paste mix to dissolve thick waxy crusts?

I am seeing a dermatologist on thursday as these waxy crusts are not going away despite regular lid hygiene and they are getting bigger and spreading, the lower lids have been looking very oily lately like there is too much oil around the lashes

So in the meantime is it safe to use a Sodium Bicarbonate paste applied to the crusts for say 20 minutes then wash off or is it dangerous to use a concentrated mix of bicarb or should i rather dilute half a teaspoon in a glass of water and then apply??

I dont understand why these crusts dont shift, also can to much scrubbing with cotton swabs make the crusts worse?
    "Only the body can heal itself, and all healing must come from within your body."

Anyone please ?
    "Only the body can heal itself, and all healing must come from within your body."

Comment

Let's see what the derm says on Thursday about what's happening to your skin. Have you got a history of being sebaceous, eg in the teenage years?

I've always preferred taking eye make-up esp mascara off with oils rather than detergents - do any of the oils you've experimented with remove the crusts more easily?

Increasingly hypersensitive to absol.u.tely every detergent and perfume and antibacterial wash, we are experimenting with honey products, minimum other ingredients (search top right 'honey' and Regina's posts). Currently: Dr Organic Manuka Honey Rescue Cream (hypoallergenic emollient) + Medihoney Derma Cream ('maintains skin's pH protecting against pH rises that can lead to flareups'). No probs round the eyes for me although LM has only tried it on the rosacea. Sterile honey is used in the NHS now for wound dressing in unresponsive infections with antibac resistance, even sugar.

I'm thinking all this poking about, plus a few detergents like the Dove you were using, maybe the shampoos, may be making the sebaceous glands go into overdrive and making your eyes sore. All the derms are telling us, use: pH neutral, Simple range, or something good quality and carefully formulated like Neutrogena, Aveeno, Clinique. If anything doesn't suit, you, STOP, because everyone's different.

We know you're a very sensitive skin-type. It's a question of a very gentle fix. One problem seems to be that anything in frequent use sets up sensitivity, so we use as little as possible to get and keep control.

Let us all know what happens with this derm. We want some good advice from these people.
      Last edited by littlemermaid; 16-May-2012, 04:03.
      Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Working...
      X