Lid Scrub Irritation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lid Scrub Irritation

I've been doing the lid scrubs for almost three weeks now, and have noticed an improvement in my dry eyes. But yesterday I had a relapse. Eyelid margins got really red and a little painful.

I've been using baby shampoo at about a 4:1 water to shampoo ration. However, before yesterday's scrub I ran out of "mixture" and made a new one with about twice the shampoo. Bang, irritated margins! When I started this process three weeks ago I did one scrub at about 2:1 water to shampoo, and had gotten the same irritation as I did yesterday. That was when I diluted the mixture to the level I had used for a few weeks. Until yesterday.

The thought occured to me that the relapse could've been from one of two things:

1. the obvious answer is that there's just too much soap in the mixture, and that is irritating my margins. Mind you, I haven't gotten it in my eyes, but its definitely hurting the margins.

2. another possibility, I was thinking, is that I really DO want this much soap in the mixture, and the irritation I'm experiencing is due to the soap working on the blepharitis at the margins. Perhaps the previous mixture was just too weak. If so, with continued use I assume the irritation will go away.

So if anyone has had the same symptoms as I have, or can share some tips, info, on this, I would love to hear it. Thanks!

I think that's an awful lot of shampoo. The ratio I've most often heard recommended is 7:1 water:shampoo.

However, just as an experiment you might try doing it without shampoo altogether. Plain saline is one way to go that does not carry the risk of irritation that baby shampoo or other soapy things do. I've been doing that for quite some time and am pretty happy with it.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Eye Irritation - Hot Compress, Scrub

I have been experiencing some similar problems due to hot compresses, eye scrubs, and eyelid margin cleaning. Well, at least I think it is attributed to that. I started hot compresses, etc about 2 weeks ago to try and improve my daily struggle with dry eye. I have been fighting this for 4 yrs come this June (lasik). I tried this regiment before but had a hard time keeping up with it. I only do this at night before bed, not in morning as it makes my eyes quite red and that doesnt work so well for my job. Not that I am judged on appearance, but knowing the appearance often makes me self-conscious and not a active as I can be.

Ever since I started this my eyes have been more painful throughout the days. Much more so than ever before, so I am thinking it may be related. The only other thing I started 3 weeks ago was the NAC, and a regiment of Doxy. I stopped doing the eyelid margin wash w/ diluted baby shampoo a week ago, but still have the issue. Unfortunately, I think they are necessary because when I do the massage at night I see thick white goo (sorry for description) if I squeeze lid margin enough. What do you think?

Thanks

Comment

Oh yeah

Unfortunately, I think they are necessary because when I do the massage at night I see thick white goo (sorry for description) if I squeeze lid margin enough. What do you think?
        I'd definitely say that "you need it (scrubs)" if you're getting stuff. Keep working on those lids. Even if you do it once each night it should help. This stuff is long and very irritating (in more than one way) to have to do. Read up on lid massage. It's in one of the forums here.
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

thick white goo

I am interested by Mr.Cabot's description of seeing thick white goo when squeezing the lid margin. Mr.Cabot - exactly how are you doing this? I have been doing lid massages for a year, and I never see anything like that. I don't see anything at all or notice anything during a lid massage. Perhaps I am not doing it correctly?

Comment

Getting the Goo

Well, I am pretty sure I am not supposed to do lid massage quite this way, but I am able to secrete the white "goo" when I grab the inside and outside of the top lid and pinch my eyelid between my thumb and pointer finger. This has only happened a few times. More frequently I can force a bubble which I assume has oils in it. I try not to do this often for fear of tracking the lid margin.

Comment

See Dr

Mr. Cabot, you should see your doctor and have he/she look at this. They can do expression of this stuff in a more safe environment. You could possibly cause damage, but you should have this looked at and see what the dr advises.
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Goo and Doctor

Thanks for the advice Lucy. Unfortunately, I have multiple doctors over the years in an effort to deal with dry eye (as most of us have). I have been given the proper procedure for lib massage from them as well as from all the great resources such as this site. As possible problems are blepharitis, dry eye, decreased sensation due to lasik, and even ocular rosacea. Unfortunately no oen seems to now what is causing what. Its the whole chicken and the egg debate.

My lid margins are red and the part of the top eyelid closest to lashes are red. As part of my recommended routine I do the lid massage which includes applying pressure as you get to the margins. At times I probably am applying more pressure than I should, but I have not read anywhere that that is not-recommended. I kinda take the approach I did when I was a teen and had a pimple....Most times I just carefully tend to it, etc...but every now again you had to just grab hold and give it a good squeeze (again, sorry for anyone getting visuals) The next time I have a checkup I will ask...

Comment

Working...
                X