This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saline solution in the US ?

We are coming to California for 5 weeks from the end of January. My wife uses saline solution to wash out her eyes at the beginning and end of each day. The solution is 0.9% sodium chloride in sterile water. We can get it here in Australia in 30 ml (approx 1 fluid ounce) vials which lasts a day or two. Is it possible to get something similar in the US ? When we were in Canada earlier this year we could not find anything like this so I am wondering if we will just have to take 5 week's supply with us instead.

Visit this link: http://www.mountainside-medical.com/...nit-Dose-.html

I've ordered from them before. One word of caution: if you order it to Canada, there's about a $40 charge for shipping medical supplies across the boarder, so if you're planning on using this stuff long term, I'd recommend ordering 10 boxes (1000 x 3mL) to make it cost effective.

Alternatively, you can go to a pharmacy and ask for it from behind the counter (they don't store this stuff on the shelves in my experience). A lot of pharmacies don't carry it, but some do, and it will just be a matter of time before you find one that does.

Comment

We use the Minims http://www.catalog.md/drugs/minims-saline.html available over-the-counter in UK pharmacies, especially standard in hospital pharmacies. Are these not available in US and Canada? We also use tear substitute eyedrops for frequent use but have to take our favourites with us when we travel, plus doctor's letters to say what they are and why we need them.
      Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Neil,

The standard unpreserved saline for ocular use in the US is Unisol 4 by Alcon. You can usually find it on the bottom shelf of the contact lens section of drugstores - not EVERY drugstore though so you might have to shop around. In my area it's available in Walmart and Rite Aid. It's sold in a box of three 4 ounce bottles with the puncture type tops and has to be thrown away within 30 days.

There are smaller unit dose saline vials available (in fact I've got some in my shop) but they are not sold specifically for ocular use so are not pH balanced for the eye. Unisol's better.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

This is kind of a bit off topic, but ... in connection with throwing away the Unisol after 30 days, I do follow that rule. I'm going through a fitting for scleral lenses (not PROSE) and my new doctor gave me a box of Unisol to take home. When I got home, I noticed the seal wasn't intact, and surprise -- all three bottles had been opened and were only partially filled. Evidently these were left overs from prior appointments (prior days? months?) So I threw them out.....

Is this a sound practice for a doctor (optometrist, to "dispose" of his "end of day" Unisol by giving it away for use in the sclerals on a patient with corneal disease? It just astonished me! Add insult to injury, I wasn't dispensed with a plunger or a case suitable for disinfection for the large scleral lenses and I so appreciate being able to order the PROSE case and plungers from Dry Eye Shop. Thank you!

Comment

I've gotten saline (like this http://www.amazon.com/Medline-Steril...eywords=saline) from Pharmaca http://www.pharmaca.com/stores.aspx
            I'm not sure where in CA you are headed but there are Pharmaca stores in CA.
            One thing to note, some states / stores (??) require a prescription for them even though it's innocuous stuff. I don't know what California's rule is.

Comment

Originally posted by Blinks View Post
              ...my new doctor gave me a box of Unisol to take home. When I got home, I noticed the seal wasn't intact, and surprise -- all three bottles had been opened and were only partially filled. E

Is this a sound practice for a doctor (optometrist, to "dispose" of his "end of day" Unisol by giving it away for use in the sclerals on a patient with corneal disease?
              Not in my book! I wouldn't use anybody else's bottle of saline, who knows whether it might be contaminated. But, I wonder if it might have been an accident. If it was a closed box the dr. might not even have been aware (maybe technicians had used it with patients). Yeeks. Sounds like they need some more streamlining to their scleral dispensing routine - I'd tell them so if you get a chance
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

CVS Pharmacy has 89ml bottles of sterile saline solution, four to a box. Sometimes this brand goes on sale! I do live in CA, and have had trouble finding the 89ml bottles at other pharmacies. There are huge bottles, and tiny bottles, and nothing in between. Welcome to California neilw!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help.
                  I think we can rely on getting something on our trip. Either Unisol or the bottles you mentioned at CVS Pharmacies, LaDiva. Are there CVS Pharmacies througout California? We are going to LA, Tahoe and Yosemite. Our trip is a combination IPL treatment and cross country ski trip. Kathy will have IPL at the beginning and end of the trip in LA and we will have 4 weeks of skiing in between.
                  So, I think we will take some saline solution in our luggage and then buy some more along the way.

Comment

Yes, Neilw. There are stores at Tahoe City, Tahoe South Shore, and stores in LA, but not sure about Yosemite as it is a National Park. Have a great trip!

Comment

Originally posted by LaDiva View Post
                      Yes, Neilw. There are stores at Tahoe City, Tahoe South Shore, and stores in LA, but not sure about Yosemite as it is a National Park. Have a great trip!
                      Thanks LaDiva. I am sure we will have a lovely trip. We're looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X