This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Unisol

I'm having problems with lid scrubs irritating my lids. Bought a box of preservative-free Unisol 4 to try as a lid scrub but it says not to use as wetting solution for contacts, so I am wondering if it is safe if some gets in your eye? Would appreciate advice, thanks.

I use Unisol in my eyes every time I wear my PROSE scleral lenses; I think what they are referring to is not to use it as a cleaning system.

Comment

Its the same pH as natural tears for a reason...its not a problem at all to get some in your eyes. I think quite a few people on this site use it to clean out their eyes as well

Comment

Unisol is used for rinsing and insertion of contacts, so by definition it needs to be safe in the eye

I had a look at the warning language:
        Because Unisol 4 Saline Solution contains no preservatives, it will not remain sterile indefinitely after opening and, therefore, should not be used as an eyedrop.
        ...which I don't understand at all... quite apart from its 'suitability' as an eyedrop (it's not a lubricant like artificial tears) - how can they warn against using it as an eyedrop while considering it OK to fill contacts with for insertion? Both ways it's being used directly in the eye. Hm.

Re: wetting solution... just for context, the FDA has very strict labeling regulations for all these solutions and there's no crossover. There's salines, there's wetting drops, there's artificial tears, and each one has its own labeling. In practice there are some things that a lot of us use for more than one purpose. Always best to check with one's doctor about whether what we're using it for is OK. - Me, I use Unisol in my sclerals, occasionally squirt some over them (not often), and occasionally use it as an eye wash since most things sold as eye wash (with, sigh, the FDA's blessing) have BAK anyway.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

The lack of preservatives must be key. I've forgotten how long the bottle claims it can be used but my PROSE doctor told me not to throw it out on Day 3, regardless of what the packaging says. Most preservative-free drops come in "single" use containers and since Unisol is in a giant container, they probably add the disclaimer to cover their you know what in case someone contaminates the applicator or keeps the drops longer than they should be kept.

I do wish it came in smaller containers. I don't wear my PROSE regularly so rarely finish a bottle. I use the smaller, preservative-free saline tubes frequently just because I don't have to feel bad about throwing out a bunch. Thankfully, I can use those; I know a lot of people find them irritating.

Comment

Working...
          X