Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a small amount of Johnsons 'No tears' baby shampoo in my eye and...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a small amount of Johnsons 'No tears' baby shampoo in my eye and...

Within seconds my eye turned into this:

Any idea why/how this could happen. Yes i double checked it is the no tears formula, what on earth could i be so allergic to?
    Also what is the best course of action to kill the pain, it hurts to blink...

i bet that will only last an little while....maybe a few hours? How long has it been like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Katewest View Post
      i bet that will only last an little while....maybe a few hours? How long has it been like that?
      Its gone down with ice against it for about half an hour with regular saline rinsing, i had loads of mucus discharge...
      What on Earth could have caused such a reaction. No tears my foot.

Comment

lol! crazy! Whats your diagnosis?

Comment

Same thing happens to me. I know some docs say to clean your eyelids with that stuff, but in my experience it is just not a good idea. I stick with water or saline. Look on the ingredients list and keep a mental note of what you might be allergic to on that list.

Comment

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...icals-by-2015/

The chemicals in question are 1,4 dioxane and the preservative formaldehyde, which is slowly released by a chemical called quaternium-15 to kill bacteria. Both 1,4 dioxane and formaldehyde are probable human carcinogens; formaldehyde also is a skin, eye and respiratory irritant.

By 2015, J&J will phase out those two chemicals and others of concern, including triclosan, phthalates and parabens, as well as fragrance ingredients, which aren't disclosed on product labels. However, it will allow chemicals that release formaldehyde when no safe alternative will work and is reducing levels of 1,4 dioxane to below 10 parts per million.

A recent study tied Triclosan, which is found in many antibacterial products, to muscle and heart damage in mice. Parabens are the most commonly used preservative in cosmetics, according to the FDA, and have been tied breast cancer risk. Phthalates have been tied to hormone disruption upping diabetes and obesity risk.

Yikes! Formaldehyde?! For babies?!

Comment

My eye was discharging mucus like there was no tomorrow. It did eventually die down though, and my eye is fine now.
              Thrown the rest out

Comment

Hi Impreza,

Try this link, and click on the "Ingredient Concerns" on the left side of the page. Here are a few listed. I use a couple of green websites before buying things now, and could not believe how much junk is in everything including our food. I've had good luck with Aveeno Baby Organic Harvest Shampoo. There are different Aveeno products that are not so good, so if you try this one, make sure you buy the right one. Glad your eyes are better!

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/...ormulation%29/

Johnson's No More Tears Baby Shampoo:

FRAGRANCE Ecotoxicology, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Miscellaneous, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)

QUATERNIUM-15 Allergies/immunotoxicity, Contamination concerns (FORMALDEHYDE), Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Use restrictions
                Last edited by LaDiva; 10-May-2013, 10:00. Reason: typo

Comment

'Some shampoos add anesthetizing agents, which essentially numb the baby’s eyes so that the sting is not felt. These ingredients are usually labeled as PEG, followed by a number, like PEG-50 or PEG-100. So when there is an irritant in the formulation, the eyes, being temporarily numbed, do not react to any negative effects of these ingredients.

The structure and function of an infant’s eyes continue to develop over the first year of life. Babies blink less often, and tearing of their eyes is less robust. In addition, babies tend to rub their eyes more, and they continue to fine-tune their defensive eye closure in the first 5–7 months of life. Because of these reasons, substances can be more easily rubbed into their eyes, and there is a greater potential for eyes to be exposed to shampoo or products used during bath-time.'
                  http://news.essilorusa.com/stories/d...-free-shampoos
                  Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Working...
                  X