Demodex and Cliradex Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demodex and Cliradex Question

I have a few questions regarding demodex and Cliradex.

Can you have demodex even if you do not have obvious flakes on the lashes all the time?

If you experience relief using cliradex, does that mean you have demodex?

Has anyone gotten relief using cliradex?

When you wipe your lids with Cliradex, do the mites kinda jump?! I feel like when I use it white flakes appear almost like they jumped out of no where. It's gross

I live in Canada, and cannot afford to fly deep into the U.S. to get tested. No doctors here really know much about it. I see the best optho that is here.

Thanks to anyone who replies

Can you have demodex even if you do not have obvious flakes on the lashes all the time?
    I did not have any obvious flakes on my lashline at all but am pretty sure I had demodex per doc looking under slit lamp.

If you experience relief using cliradex, does that mean you have demodex?
    Per my doc, probably. Since my doc never actually removed a mite from my eye (not sure if they even do this) and I had no tests to determine if they were present - doc thought he could see one burrowing down back in to my lid after he turned up the lights, I can't be 100% sure I had them. Since I have seen positive changes though from using Cliradex I assume I must have had them though.

Has anyone gotten relief using cliradex?
    I have had some relief. They were very red (eyeball itself - my lids are never red) and are not as red now. My eyes also do not burn constantly anymore.

When you wipe your lids with Cliradex, do the mites kinda jump?! I feel like when I use it white flakes appear almost like they jumped out of no where. It's gross
    I did not experience that but if you do internet searches, I remember reading that others could feel them crawling away.

Comment

Alison thanks for the reply. How long have you used them for? It's my lids that are more red, my eyes are semi red sometimes. Much more than they used to be before all of this. How many times a day do you use cliradex? I just started the other day. I never suspected demodex but do now. It's kind of scaring me.

Do you still use prescription drops and artificial tears?

Comment

No problem. I started using them in July I think. I honestly don't remember how often I used them when I started. I *think* once a night before bed. (Here's my original thread about it all: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...light=cliradex)

After 8 weeks my doc had me go down to using them only twice a week at night which is what I still do now.

Oh, yes. I still use artificial tears and ointment daily/nightly. ( Genteal PF/lanolin free ointment at night + a sleep mask, Thera Tears in the a.m. first thing after waking up, then Retaine MGD drops throughout the day.) I haven't used prescription drops for years. For me anyway, I have chronic dry eye (along with other eye conditions mentioned in link above) which means it can only be managed. I don't believe it will every go away.

Others though, who only had a problem with Demodex, have reported they are "cured" now (based on internet searches again) so I think if they are someone's only problem, it's a real possibility.
        Last edited by alisonW; 11-Feb-2014, 09:35.

Comment

I use retaine too! I LOVE them! I am under the same impression: condition is chronic and can only be controlled. Sometimes I read success stories though and pray I will be back to "normalish" lol I do live with a dog who sheds like crazy and I have heard demodex can be caught by animal contact? Maybe I'm wrong but I swore I read that somewhere. Do you have a full time job? I am still not at the point to working full time. I work like 20-25 hours per week. A part of me is hoping demodex is my problem so at least I know what's wrong...

Do you have mgd?

Comment

I keep hoping for a miracle too. Maybe someday. Yes, I remember reading that about demodex and animals too - I know dogs can have demodex as well. No full-time job right now. I'm a stay-at-home mom to a 13 & 15 year old. I'd love to work part-time somewhere but I haven't found anything that has hours that will work for me with our/they're schedules right now. Yes, I have MGD too & probably ocular rosacea. I hope Cliradex works for you - GL!

Comment

Yes, you might still have Demodex, even if you don't present with collarettes/cylindrical dandruff/flakes. You might still experience relief with Cliradex, even if you don't have demodex, because the active component found in Cliradex, 4-Terpineol, is anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory, which will help with a lot of lid margin diseases other than demodicosis. I didn't feel the mites jumping...maybe you are talking about the tingling sensation when you use Cliradex? Kind of like a Icy-Hot feeling? Like tea tree oil, Cliradex has that minty-like sensation, so maybe that's what you are referring to? Not sure about the white flakes, though, since that didn't happen for me. As for Canadian doctors, I actually know about one optometrist called Kerry Salsberg, located in Toronto, who is well-versed on demodex.

Comment

Thank you for the infomation. I read on one of your previous posts that all of your symptoms went away after two months of use. Is this still the case? It seemed that the relief was immediate, but I am not getting my hopes up as I have been let down before, as I thought something was working, only to have all my symptoms return again. My lids do have the visible red veins, and I do have a mild crusting in the morning, although I am unsure it is Demodex. My main issue is MGD and blepharitis. I have also read that some people may not have an overgrowth but may be allergic to the mites. It said in the article that these people feel relief with Pataday, but it is temporary. This is the case for me. I have been allergy tested and came back negative to environmental things. I am not saying "I figured it out" but am considering all options.

Are you still using Cliradex? and Have your symptoms returned or are they controlled now?

Thank you for the reply

Comment

Anyone know of any members/posts where people were cured of after eliminating demodex? I searched demodex but there was to many posts lol

Comment

Faith ~ try PubMed for the medical research, search 'demodex eye' and in my case, 'demodex eye child', and even a few more in 'demodex ivermectin' when docs go for a total kill. There are cases there that might help you think about this.

And Medscape for the overview http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1211763-overview

Faith, didn't you get your blepharitis from makeup? have they tried different antibacterials?
                    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

I don't really know for sure how I got it. It came suddenly. I have tried antibacterial s, but have gotten most relief from tea tree. I wasn't expecting the tea tree to work but seems to be giving me relief. It has only been a few days though , so I'm not saying "this is my cure" because I may just be having a good week. My lids seem much less red.

Comment

Also, been adding tea tree oil when washing my face, and the skin has improved.

Comment

Little mermaid, in your opinion, if I am feeling relief and reduction of inflammation, do u think I have demodex? I can't see my doc till may lol

Comment

We get eye and skin improvement using TTO products for a while. Plus we do a dilute TTO shampoo eyelid scrub. It is antibacterial too. Everyone has demodex anyway but maybe it's whether it's in overgrowth because the eyes are compromised or whether the skin is sensitive to them. It can get toxic. Be very careful
                            Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

What do u mean by it can be toxic?!

Comment

Working...
                              X