skin pores vs. meibomian glands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skin pores vs. meibomian glands

Hi all - I've been diagnosed by three doctors with meibomian gland disorder. As I've read and thought about this over the past few years I keep coming back to the similarity of MGD with the blackhead problem on my face. On my face I have large pores that are always clogged with gunk (i.e. blackheads). I can squeeze the gunk out of them. My skin produces a lot of oil (I have to "mop" my face every few hours or wash it & use face powder so I don't shine). I think I read somewhere that blackheads happen when oil gets trapped in the pore and there's some inflammation at the pore opening which doesn't let everything out.

Now doesn't that sound just like MGD? Meibomian glands are sebaceous glands too. Oil gets clogged in meibomian glands, you can squeeze the gunk out, openings are inflamed. I am wondering if the reason I have blackheads is the same reason I have MGD. I'm not sure how that helps me but it is interesting. Does anyone else have both clogged skin pores & MGD? Has anyone else made this connection?

Hi Jellybean,
    I don't have MGD or blackheads, but I understand that doxycycline is used to treat both conditions because it alters the properties of your lipid secretions.

Best,
    Sam

Comment

Re: Jellybean

Originally posted by jellybean
      Now doesn't that sound just like MGD? Meibomian glands are sebaceous glands too. Oil gets clogged in meibomian glands, you can squeeze the gunk out, openings are inflamed. I am wondering if the reason I have blackheads is the same reason I have MGD. I'm not sure how that helps me but it is interesting. Does anyone else have both clogged skin pores & MGD? Has anyone else made this connection?
      I too have blackheads really only on my nose. I agree with your assessment and relationship here, and I too have made this connection. For those with MGD, the quality of the meibum (oil secreted by the meibomian glands) is inferior, and the melting point is higher than the temperature of your own body heat (especially that of your eyelids), so it hardens and clogs the gland. This is why warm compresses are vital for MGD.

I also believe diet is very important when trying to address the level of inflammation in your system (specifically at the site of your sebaceous (facial) and meibomian glands (eyelids)) and aiding in the creation of better quality oils. Remove the inflammation and the production of inferior oils and the oils will function properly. The key is to eliminate or greatly reduce the level of inflammation. Our bodies are like cars; If you try to feed it diesel fuel when it runs on unleaded, it may run for a little while, but soon it will begin to break down.

Excellent observation, Jellybean.
      Jason

"We should not be looking for answers to the diseases we suffer from today, but why many peoples in the world don't get them at all."

Comment

Working...
      X