Chronic Blepharitis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronic Blepharitis?

For around nine years now, I've had symptoms of chronic blepharitis. My opthomologists have never really had any answers, so the problem has persisted. I've done antibiotics, hot compresses, etc. (all the usual treatments), but still, almost daily I get sty-like crusts all over my eyelids. It only happens if I look at computer screens, television screens, or try to read in poor lighting. So, it's a cause and effect thing. If I were to go a week without looking at a computer or tv, I'd be fine. Anyone have an experience like this, or have any reccomendations for something new to try? My life has pretty much been hell for the last nine years, and the doctors have no idea how to help me. Thanks.

This might sound a little ludicrous but I actually mean it seriously:

For one day, try to find some way to make yourself blink about 5x more frequently while you are using the computer, TV, etc. See if it reduces your problem at all.

Blink rate is dramatically reduced by computer use. This means the eye surfaces are not getting "wiped" with tears as frequently, and tear and lipid secretions are not being stimulated as frequently. So some transient tear deficiencies can be directly tied to blink rate. It would be interesting to see if more frequent blinking alone could help at all.

Another possibility to consider is to see what happens if you wear moisture sealing goggles while using the computer. One of the most popular is the Panoptx dry eye wear line (many of the people on this site have them).
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Blink rate

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make yourself blink more when on the computer? I try to remember....but then I get engrossed in something and totally forget about it. I put stickees on my screen, but after a while I don't even notice them anymore. I am a prog/analyst so I am on the computer all day. I am trying to remember to get up every hour and talk a short walk/break and this does help.
      One thing that has really helped me is increasing the hot compresses. I do them for 10 minutes first thing in the morning, along with massages and scrubs. I try to do it again during the day, but usually am just too busy, so I take a hot compress to bed with me at night and lay it on my eyes for about 10 minutes. It took a couple weeks of this, but I do see a noticeable difference.

Comment

I remember reading one guy who put sticky notes that said, "Blink!" to the side of his monitor. I know it sounds elementary, but maybe it'll help. Also, I understand that once you start the habit of blinking more, your brain kind of learns the activity and will start doing it subconsciously.

D
        Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

I'm trying to remember the suggestion I saw way back when... it was either on D'Eyealogues or SurgicalEyes. Something like setting a reminder to regularly pop up on screen. I wouldn't do it personally as it would drive me crazy and I'd end up doing the equivalent of throwing the alarm against the wall, but it might work for other people.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

I too have chronic blepharitis and have used every antibiotic out there. It just won't go away. Hot showers and hot compresses help me a lot, but so does taking a Q-tip and wetting it with saline solution and just scrubbing the bottom eyelid area. It helps get some of the crust off and the coolness and wetness of the solution feels good to my eyes.
            Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle
              I too have chronic blepharitis and have used every antibiotic out there. It just won't go away. Hot showers and hot compresses help me a lot, but so does taking a Q-tip and wetting it with saline solution and just scrubbing the bottom eyelid area. It helps get some of the crust off and the coolness and wetness of the solution feels good to my eyes.
              Hope that helps!
              Hi, I use Johnson's baby shampoo in warm water and scrub eyelids with cotton balls. I do that each morning and evening. Annie

Comment

Working...
              X