Nizoral shampoo for blepharitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nizoral shampoo for blepharitis

Dear All: One of my internet friends goes by the name of "Moose." (In his Moose persona, he particularly loves eating cheeze pizza and looking for "Moosettes" in the woods of Maine. )

He posted a slightly longer version of this on the SurgicalEyes/VSRN bulletin board earlier today, and gave me permission to reproduce it here. This information may be of special interest if you have been diagnosed with blepharitis and/or if your dry eye diagnosis is potentially connected to a condition of facial rosacea.

/ mary
    ================================================== =======

Some Help for Blepharitis

Moose thought he would pass along something that he has found helpful in the ongoing battle to control blepharitis. Moose’s blepharitis is chronic and annoying, but probably fairly mild compared to most.

Anyway, several months ago Moose went to a dermatologist for facial rosacea, which can cause blepharitis. This dermatologist prescribed the usual doxycycline (100 Mg/day) for control of the rosacea (which does reduce the symptoms as well as providing some relief for blepharitis). This dermatologist also handed Moose a prescription for Nizoral Dandruff shampoo 2% with the instructions to cover the eyelids and the upper part of the face with the shampoo and leave it there for about 1-2 minutes before rinsing. Upon starting this Doxy/Nizoral regimen the symptoms of rosacea and blepharitis both diminished.

HOWEVER, when Moose was away for a week and didn’t take the Nizoral shampoo the blepharitis symptoms were noticeably more pronounced (as well as annoying). Once Moose resumed use of the Nizoral shampoo the symptoms then again diminished. Moose has also started using the OTC version of Nizoral shampoo (1%) on most other days and has found it helpful.

The use of Nizoral may or may not help reduce your blepharitis symptoms. The OTC version of Nizoral is less than $10 and it’s probably worth a try (plus the Nizoral shampoo does leave your fur looking very silky). It will sting if it gets in your eyes so make sure to keep them closed.

. . . .

Moose

PS: facial rosacea is a contraindication for refractive surgery, although most surgeons don’t seem to know.

For holly and others -- about rosacea

holly,

I am replying to my own post, originally made in mid-July, so that it will PTT (pop-to-the-top) of threads in this forum. You started a thread on August 29 asking if there were any "breakthrough treatments" for rosacea/ ocular rosacea.

I personally don't have this condition, but a good friend has struggled to control his rosacea and its presumed connection to "blepharitis" in the aftermath of Lasik eye surgery. He benefited from a dermatologist's suggestion to try "Nizoral dandruff shampoo."

Hope this helps!
    mary
    Last edited by mary kenny badami; 10-Sep-2005, 10:20. Reason: "strugged" is not an English word -- what the "L"

Comment

Has anyone here tried this?

I'd be interested to hear any reports/experiences. I noticed that a Type I diabetes patient over on D'Eyealogues posted success with this for blepharitis.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I was prescribed nizerol shamoo by my dermatoligist but have never used it on the eye lids. I will give it a go for a week and see if it gives any improvement. I think it stings when it ran into my eyes one time and I dident have my eye open I thought boy that is serious stuff but ill see tommorrow if it burns ill try it again. So one question I have is how often did he use it I know my dr said the most to use it is every other day. Can you find out how often he uses this on his eyes? Thank for the info though I would like to see this stuff work and the condition diminsh. My blepharitis has gone down alot with conditional treatment but still I have many bad days.

Comment

Originally posted by mike838
          So one question I have is how often did he use it I know my dr said the most to use it is every other day. Can you find out how often he uses this on his eyes?
          I posted a follow-up question on the D'Eyealogues thread, hopefully s/he will reply.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks. ill give it a go if it might make a difference

Comment

I notice a number of newer posters over here dealing with diagnoses involving blepharitis/facial rosacea/ocular rosacea. So I'm PTT (popping-to-the-top) this suggestion from an internet friend for whom Nizoral shampoo (chemical name: Ketoconazole) made a difference. As always, if you consider using this product, please read the label carefully and consider possible side-effects in terms of your personal situation.

Comment

Nizoral is an anti-fungal. Rosacea has nothing to do with fungus. I can see where it's possible that Bleph could be due to a fungal infection, although I've never read or heard of it (it's generally bacterial). I can't imagine why it would help rosacea, though, and also you have to be REALLY CAREFUL about not getting it IN your eyes and that would be rather difficult, if not impossible, if you're letting it sit on your lids and lashes for a minute or more.

Without instructions to do this from your eye doctor, I think this is a really bad idea.

Comment

You know, I once had skin irritation and saw 10 doctors over 1 year and everyone kept giving me hydrocortisone steriod cream. After one year, a Doctor told me to get Canesten(anti-fungul) over the counter cream and it went away in 3-4 days. So may it be that blepharitis and rosacea has an element of fungus? The only meds we are told to take are cortisteriods and anti-bacterials and they don't do anything. Maybe fungus? Who knows.

Comment

sebzorz

This actually sounds like a really good idea but I imagine one would have to take extreme care not aggervate the tear film.

I am also interested in how often he uses this.

The regimine makes perfect sense. Doxy for the rosacea and glands and the shampoo for seborrheic involvement. Which I think Doxy can aggervate or even cause.

I need to ask Dr. Tseng more about the Seborrhea component and what he thinks about this. He has tea tree oil, oitments and something else on his check out slip thing. So maybe he suggests using those instead of stuff like nizoral. Sterilid also has tea tree oil in it.

The major problem is preventive actions against the yeast, maybe both tea tree oil and nizoral do that? I wonder how much for each and so on. They really need to come up with a topical anti-fungal cream safe for the eye area imo.
                    Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

Working...
                    X