Idea for MGD treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

I also a suffer from MGD, which makes working behind a computer screen especially difficult for me due to the reduced blink rate (evaporative dry eye).

The heat treatment that I've been using so far (e.g. infrared for 10 mins + warm compress for 20 mins) doesn't quite produce the results I would like to see, because it doesn't liquify the oils in my glands to a point which enbles me to express them; sometimes, if I'm lucky, I'm able to express a milky white substance from one or two glands, but usually nothing happens...

Like Richard, I've been thinking about a way to produce heat at a constant temperature for an extended period of time. After reading this thread I've been looking on the net for possible heating elements that may be used to create such a heating device. I came up with a electrically heated glove with wires in them, which I can buy at a local store near me. I could extract the wires from the glove, lay them in the shape of my eye, and cover them with some kind of hypo-allergic material to create an eye-patch. This patch could then be put on top of the eyelids and fixated using tape, and thereafter heated to between 45 and 50 degrees centrigrade.

The only problem is that I'm not sure what material I should use for the eye patch. Should it be disposable, because of the risk of infection if you use the same material over and over again? And I would prefer it to be hypo-allergenic, because I'm a dust mite sufferer so I don't want to take any risk with cloth or ordinary plastics, for example. Does anyone have any advice on what material can best be used? Or has anyone tried something like this before?

Regards,
    Bart

Comment

Hey, has anyone built this contraption yet? the eye heater?

Comment

Working...
      X