MGD, Sebhorrea, Rosacea Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGD, Sebhorrea, Rosacea Question

Can you have MGD w/o Rosacea and just Sebhorrea? And/or can you have MGD w/o any skin disorder?

-Tim
    Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Yes and yes.
    Sebhoreic (sp?) Dermatitis is a common cause of MGD. So is Rosacea. Unfortunately, it isn't uncommon for both disorders to occur simultaneously which kind of confuses things. I myself have this problem.
    The treatments (for the skin manifestations) are quite different. Also, yes it is possible to suffer from MGD without any skin disorder. For example, David Sullivan et al at the Schepens Eye Institute have found that meibomian glands are sensitive to androgen, which is perhaps one reason why women seem to suffer from dry eye more than men. Dr. Latkany has said that most of his patients are female and over 40, so this seems to fit.

Comment

MGD without any particular skin problems is common. According to medical studies, meibomian gland function starts out at fully functioning during childhood and declines over the years in both genders. There are all kinds of other factors like drug side effects, rapid hormonal changes and poor diet that can interfere with MG function.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Yep - I don't "seem" to have skin problems but have MGD. I sometimes think MGD is simply a term to encompass any lipid problem with the tear film.
        Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

It is worth pointing out that one does not need to have any significant facial manifestations of rosacea in order to be suffering from the ocular type. This does not mean that you have it of course, but its worth pointing out that it is apparently is under-diagnosed.

Comment

Ah ok, thanks for clearing it up for me.
            Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

hey Eli...

I tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full.

Julie

Comment

Sorry, clear now.

-Tim

Comment

Working...
                X