MGD Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGD Question.

1. Do you guys think eye massage is good to do or not good to do.

2. Do you do lid scrubs then hot compresses or hot compresses then lid scrubs.

3. When you take restasis and put it in your eyes. Do you keep your eyes completely closed for 2 minutes and then open them or do you not have to do that.

Just a few questions to get off my back.

Questions & Answers

1. Eye massage is good to do if you have a problem that requires massage. Has your doctor told you to do massage?

2. I use hot compresses when I get up in the morning and I also do lid scrubs at that time. Lid scrubs first then hot compresses. I'm not sure if everyone does it this way, but I've found this works better for me.

3. Keep your eyes completely closed after you put the Restasis drops in them.

I'm sure others will jump in here.

Billye

Comment

Thanks silverlady, Yea it seems if you use a hot compress before you do lid scrubs you eyelids get irritated from the oil being wash of with the hot rag. But if you do lid scrubs first you have more oil on top of your eyelid making it less irritating when scrubbing your eyelids.

Do you get what I mean?

Comment

Own Path

I think you have to find your own way of doing things. The description I posted works the best for me. It was a trial and error of just learning what does the best and is the most comfortable. If I scrub with crusty eyes, some of it gets in my eyes and hurts. So I use the warm compresses to soften things first.

Billye

Comment

Oh wait you say you do hot compresses if you have sandy gritty stuff on your eyes or always use hot compresses first? Because I thought you said you like to lid scrub first.

Comment

the same thing

My lid scrubs and eye compresses are the same. I didn't realize how confusing it would sound. I use a really warm wash cloth to do my scrubs with. So I'm getting the hot compress thing with the warm scrubs. It does sound confusing when I say it. But to me it's like scrubbing then moisening, and also moisening and scrubbing at the same time. My sandy gritty stuff is usually the gel I use at night drying. And just hitting it with the warm wash cloth starts the softening. I'm not a user of any of the eyelid scrubs. I was hoping someone else would address this. I'm sorry if I've confused you. It would confuse me too.

Billye

Comment

I use a warm compress first, then massage, and lastly Occusoft lid scrub to clean everything up. Dr. Latkany says that it isn't neccesary to use a lid cleansing product, but I like the squeaky clean feeling I get. I also think it gets rid of more excess oil and junk than just warm water.

Comment

I do a warm compress at bedtime. In the morning, while showering I cleanse my lids with my fingertips and Ocusoft lidscrub foam so any massaging I do is while using the foam. I agree with Dr. Latkany, and I used to be skeptical of lidscrub products, but I found I really like using the foam. The original formula one is really soft and silky feeling and just plain feels good.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
                  I do a warm compress at bedtime. In the morning, while showering I cleanse my lids with my fingertips and Ocusoft lidscrub foam so any massaging I do is while using the foam. I agree with Dr. Latkany, and I used to be skeptical of lidscrub products, but I found I really like using the foam. The original formula one is really soft and silky feeling and just plain feels good.
                  What do you do when you massage? Like how do you massage your eyelids?

I been having trouble figuring out the right way to massage my eyelids.

Comment

Originally posted by TRiBaL
                    What do you do when you massage? Like how do you massage your eyelids?

I been having trouble figuring out the right way to massage my eyelids.
                    I supose "lid massage" can refer to any pressure put on the edges of the lids aimed at trying to loosen up oil secretions, but there are lots of methods that have been described.

Personally, when I use the Ocusoft foam it makes my eyelids a little slippery, which helps. I just kind of rub with a very gentle pressure all across the edges of my upper eyelids (i.e. right above the lashes) from side to side, then try to do the same below the lashes of my lower lids. Then I just stand there with the shower running onto my eyes which rinses off the foam.

I never used to be able to do that - the water used to irritate my eyes - but if I then hold my lids shut with my fingers for a bit before opening them I seem to be OK.
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

TRiBaL,

I use the Ocusoft Foam Lid scrub every morning in the shower also. I think it is truly helping! This is my morning shower routine (for my pain in the neck eyes). I use very dilluted baby shampoo on a washcloth to wash face and eyes. Then I use the lid scrub similar to how Rebecca describes except I keep wiping water gently over my eyes to rinse versus running the shower down over my eyes. My last step when I'm about to exit the shower is I rinse my eyes with Unisol 4 Preservative free saline solution. Then prior to putting makeup on, I take a q-tip and dowse it with the same saline solution and gently rub the q-tip around my eye once. My eyelids feel very clean at this point (unless it is all in my mind ) Anyway, the shower part takes two minutes for the three steps I described above....

Comment

Oops and don't forget to check out Rebecca's wonderful write-up regarding lidscrubs at the link below:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/lidscrubs.html

Comment

Working...
                        X