Bleph, MGD, dry eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleph, MGD, dry eye?

Just wondering if anyone is in the same situation?

Had bleph in 2005, given ointment to apply to lids at night, finally problem subsided, this summer I wore (old script) contacts for 7 days straight (usually wore them on weekends) but took them out at night. 2 months later in August started having problems wearing them, stringy mucous, inflamed eyes, was treated for infection. Finally eye doc dx me with dry eyes, gave me restasis, my chart already indicated I had bleph. I told him my eyelids still itched (not all the time but there are times in the evenings when they drive me nuts) doc just ignored it, told me to stick with restasis and do warm compresses and call in 2 months.... so.. do I have mgd? doc told me to rub my eyes with warm washcloth, do I just have mgd, would that still make my eyelids itchy? I don't appear to have any scales on my eyelashes, i already had alot of antibiotics for the supposed eye infection. Many thanks.

Yoganut

I have been struggling to wear my contacts for a year or so---and finally gave up. But I would get bleph, mucous, and itchy eyes, like you---especially in the evenings after I took my lenses out. I'm starting to think that wearing contacts causes the eyes to be more inflamed---maybe the lenses get coated or saturated with our own products of inflammation and they trap it in the eye. Also, lenses interfere with the tears which cleanse the eye, so more irritants stay in there. Just my thoughts on this---not scientific-based or anything.

The itchiness and stringy mucous went away totally after I quit wearing lenses, but it's been 2 months. It takes awhile to stabilize.
    Calli

Comment

Yoganut,

In 2003 my right eye became infected with conjunctavitis. Soon thereafter I developed scales on my eyelashes (right eye) and a chalazion in my upper lid (right eye). The doctor told me I had bleph and that I should do hot compresses and lid cleansing. The hot compresses worked to keep the bleph in check for 3 years. However, in late 2006 I my right eye became infected again and then both eyes developed MGD and dry eye. Sounds like you're experiencing the same progression I did.

p.s. I have never worn contacts.

Comment

Originally posted by yoganut View Post
        Just wondering if anyone is in the same situation?

Had bleph in 2005, given ointment to apply to lids at night, finally problem subsided, this summer I wore (old script) contacts for 7 days straight (usually wore them on weekends) but took them out at night. 2 months later in August started having problems wearing them, stringy mucous, inflamed eyes, was treated for infection. Finally eye doc dx me with dry eyes, gave me restasis, my chart already indicated I had bleph. I told him my eyelids still itched (not all the time but there are times in the evenings when they drive me nuts) doc just ignored it, told me to stick with restasis and do warm compresses and call in 2 months.... so.. do I have mgd? doc told me to rub my eyes with warm washcloth, do I just have mgd, would that still make my eyelids itchy? I don't appear to have any scales on my eyelashes, i already had alot of antibiotics for the supposed eye infection. Many thanks.
        I had a very similar thing happen to me..
        Never had problems with my eyes (I've been wearing contacts almost everyday for 10 years) until 4 weeks ago I had viral pink eye. This cleared in about 3 weeks but soon after, I was diagnosed with bleph. I dind't believe the doc because I didn't have any of the symptoms but strangely, the same day as the visit to the docs, my eyes began to itch and they were dry and the lids were red. It's been a few days and now I can tell that I do indeed have bleph because I can see the enlarged glands and my eyes are stuck shut in the mornings. I also don't have scales on my eyelashes. I don't know if this is possible, but perhaps the eye infection you had triggered the bleph...?? Do you have enlarged meibomian glands and crusty eyelids in the mornings? This probably means that you have MGD. In any case, I would still do the warm compress.

Comment

Working...
        X