Lid Scrubs and Styes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lid Scrubs and Styes...

I've been a lurker on this site for much of the 8 months since I had LASIK back in April 2007. I count myself fortunate that for the most part, my dry eye symptoms seem to be reletively mild and are typically limited to an occasional mild burning sensation, but I've followed much of the advice found here on a "just-in-case" basis. My question today isn't actually related to dry eye at all, but rather is related to styes and eye-hygene. Since eye-hygene is such an important part of dry-eye treatment, I'd hoped I might get some advice here.

I've periodically experienced styes on my eyelids for as long as I can remember (20+ years) . Sometimes I go longer periods with no issues, and other times I'll seem to get one every few weeks or so. They seem to be more frequent during periods of my life when I was wearing contact lenses, but certainly weren't limited to those periods.

My styes are generally very small and only mildly irritating (sometimes feels like an eyelash is getting in my eye). I've seen photos on the web of some fairly large styes and descriptions indicating they can be painfull. I've never had one larger than the normal edge of my eyelid, and I've never had one that I would describe as "painful", only irritating. My "treatment" for these has always been to puncture them with a sterile needle, express the contents of the stye with the edge of the needle, and use a cotton swab to gently dab the area where the stye used to be with rubbing achohol or hydrogen peroxide. This approach has always provided immedate relief, and I don't think I've ever had an immediate re-occurance of a stye. That said, I've recently learned a bit more about styes, including the fact that they are caused by bacteria infecting the eyelash folicle, and it's generally considered a bad idea to puncture them the way I have for the past 20 years. Go figure. The recommended treatment is to apply a warm compress for 10 minutes 4 times a day, which should clear the stye within a few days. I've also read that you shouldn't wear contact lenses when you have a stye (which I've also done for the past 20 years). Going without lenses for several days is now a big issue for me, as I rely on RGP lenses to correct Higher Order Aberrations that resulted from my LASIK. I see very poorly in moderate to dim lighting without my RGP lenses, and glasses will do nothing for these symptoms.

All this recent information started me thinking about why I seem to get styes much more frequently than my wife (she hasn't had one in years). This led me down the path of thinking more about prevention of styes rather than treatment of styes. My wife washes her face (and around her eyes) daily when she removes her makeup. I'm a bit embarrased to admit it, but I, on the other hand rarely wash around my eyes (other than the water that trickles by my eyes when I shower). In my research I've read that lid-scrubs can be an effective preventative measure agains styes, and that made me think of the time I've spent lurking on this site.

Problem is, I've never seen a really good explanation of exactly what a lid scrub is. Is it simply closing your eyes and washing your outer eyelids and around the eyelashes (pretty easy), or does it actually involve lifting the eyelid and washing the sensitive inner edge of the lid below the eyelashes (a bit more intimidating)?

In either case, I wonder if starting the practice of just washing my face and outer lids in the evenings with a mild facial soap (as my wife does) would be enough to reduce the occurences of styes on my lids.

Sorry if this post is too off topic for these forums, but I welcome any comments.

Thanks!

Sounds like you're on the right track---better hygiene might equal healthier eyes. The OcuSoft foaming eyelid cleanser is a great product to start with---it's really mild, not like soap. It's like the foaming body wash you can buy, but made just for eyes. The Dry Eye Shop sells it here--I guess it's available elsewhere, but I don't know specifically who carries it.

Wash your face like you normally do with soap but stay away from the eyes--- and rinse off. With your face still damp, put a dab of foam on your fingertips, close your eyes, and use it to gently rub along the lash line--back and forth for several seconds. Then rinse and pat dry. That's the way I use it, anyway.

Warm compresses help loosen up the debris and the "expression of the meibomian glands" keeps the oil from clogging up and causing problems. I read about the technique here for months and could never figure out how to do it until I bought Dr Latkany's book and followed the illustrations/directions. That does involve using a Q-tip to wipe along the lid next to the eye. But get the book and look at the pictures---you don't have to start that right away. I'm a lot better at doing it now than when I started about a month ago. The upper lid is harder for me, and more sensitive.

Calli

Comment

Not in your eye

Don't use the cleaning stuff in your eye or on that "inner" part of your lids. But you can use a wet (with water) q-tip to gently swipe those parts of your lids just under your upper lashes and just above your lower lashes.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll start by just cleaning the outer lids and outer lash line and see if that helps.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi byancey, You might want to try washing your eyes gently with 50% diluted Johnson's baby shampoo (dilute with water). This has been known to help many people. I trade off doing this along with the Ocusoft Foaming Eyelid Cleaner and my eyelids and eyelashes are doing much better. You're wife might even like the idea of the baby shampoo to remove eye makeup! Added benefit! Good luck, sounds like you are on the right track! Judy

Comment

Hi Byancey,

A mention of your RGP (or RGB?) glasses caught my eye. What kink of visual aberrations do they correct? Do they help with glare, haloes, etc? I have many of these problems since having my refractive surgery 2 years ago, but no one has ever mentioned special glasses. Thanks!

Kathel

Comment

Working...
            X