No announcement yet.

The reason why some practitioners have virtually abandoned shampoo lid scrubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The reason why some practitioners have virtually abandoned shampoo lid scrubs

http://www.revoptom.com/publish/content/2_1551.htm

Why the Soap Lid Scrub Snub?

Here's why some practitioners choose hot compresses over shampoo lid scrubs for treating blepharitis and meibomianitis.

Edited by Joseph P. Shovlin, O.D.

Q: Some of my colleagues have virtually abandoned shampoo lid scrubs and prescribe only hot compresses for treating blepharitis and meibomian gland dysfunction. What is the rationale for either strategy, and are there less tedious ways for patients to provide consistent and adequate heat to their lids?

A: The purpose of shampoo lid scrubs is to rid patients who have blepharitis/meibomianitis of dandruff-like scaling that can encrust the eyelashes. This scaling sometimes enters the tear film, causing tear film dysfunction.

Some practitioners, however, choose not to prescribe shampoo lid scrubs to these patients. The reason: "The shampoo can mix with the meibomian gland oils, saponify the meibum and create a low-level toxic reaction in patients who do not rinse their lids well," says Milton M. Hom, O.D., of Azusa, Calif.

Optometrist J. James Thimons of Fairfield, Conn., has seen week-long shampoo lid scrub regimens result in dry, irritated lid surfaces. "This is one of the reasons why I've moved away from prescribing shampoo lid scrubs," he says.

Dr. Thimons says that lid scrubs with a warm washcloth are as effective as shampoo lid scrubs in eradicating the flaky deposits that result from blepharitis. "In fact, because I have rosacea, I lid scrub with a washcloth every morning," he says. "Exfoliating my lashes works very well. Also, this therapy is simple and inexpensive."

Warm compresses and microwaved-food items are replacing soap lid scrubs for treating meibomianitis.

Dr. Hom stopped prescribing shampoo lid scrubs because patients often were noncompliant. "In optometry school, we were taught to tell patients to buy cotton swabs and baby shampoo, to place the baby shampoo on the swab and to scrub the lid with the cotton swab, once in the morning and once at night," he says. "Well, patients fear poking their eyes out, they find the entire process too complicated to comply with, and they do not want the hassle of replenishing supplies."

For this reason, Dr. Hom prescribes lid scrubs using a washcloth with warm water once in the morning and once at night. "This method of treatment is not only as effective as shampoo lid scrubs in ridding the eye of scaling, but patients comply with it because the items are readily available, and they like the feeling of a warm washcloth," he says.

Instruct patients to massage their lids in a circular fashion and express their meibomian glands with their knuckles for 20 seconds. Then, have them repeat the massage. "Be sure to caution the patient about the hot washcloth, as the eyelid skin is very thin and therefore sensitive," Dr. Hom says. "In other words, you don't want patients burning their eyelids, so encourage them to find the right temperature before they apply the washcloth to their lid."

But are there less tedious ways for patients to provide consistent heat to their lid anatomy for an adequate amount of time? Yes, says Dr. Thimons. "Some patients are going to find walking to the sink and reheating their washcloths annoying, which will cause them to stop complying," he says.

Dr. Thimons' advice to his patients: Hard boil an egg, place it in a thin wet cloth, and place that on the eye. "This provides the patient with an easy mechanism of heat, and the egg fits almost perfectly within the eye socket," he says.

Because eggs can be costly, tell the patient to put that same egg back in the refrigerator to reuse it. By slightly cracking the shell to allow the air to escape from the inside, the patient can place the egg in the microwave for two to three minutes before the next treatment. "I have had patients who have used the same egg all week by doing this," Dr. Thimons says.

No matter what treatment you recommend for your meibomianitis patients, always aim to achieve better compliance.

Vol. No: 142:10Issue: 10/15/2005

Originally posted by HOSADOS View Post
    http://www.revoptom.com/publish/content/2_1551.htm

Why the Soap Lid Scrub Snub?

Here's why some practitioners choose hot compresses over shampoo lid scrubs for treating blepharitis and meibomianitis.

Edited by Joseph P. Shovlin, O.D.

Q: Some of my colleagues have virtually abandoned shampoo lid scrubs and prescribe only hot compresses for treating blepharitis and meibomian gland dysfunction. What is the rationale for either strategy, and are there less tedious ways for patients to provide consistent and adequate heat to their lids?

A: The purpose of shampoo lid scrubs is to rid patients who have blepharitis/meibomianitis of dandruff-like scaling that can encrust the eyelashes. This scaling sometimes enters the tear film, causing tear film dysfunction.

Some practitioners, however, choose not to prescribe shampoo lid scrubs to these patients. The reason: "The shampoo can mix with the meibomian gland oils, saponify the meibum and create a low-level toxic reaction in patients who do not rinse their lids well," says Milton M. Hom, O.D., of Azusa, Calif.

Optometrist J. James Thimons of Fairfield, Conn., has seen week-long shampoo lid scrub regimens result in dry, irritated lid surfaces. "This is one of the reasons why I've moved away from prescribing shampoo lid scrubs," he says.

Dr. Thimons says that lid scrubs with a warm washcloth are as effective as shampoo lid scrubs in eradicating the flaky deposits that result from blepharitis. "In fact, because I have rosacea, I lid scrub with a washcloth every morning," he says. "Exfoliating my lashes works very well. Also, this therapy is simple and inexpensive."

Warm compresses and microwaved-food items are replacing soap lid scrubs for treating meibomianitis.

Dr. Hom stopped prescribing shampoo lid scrubs because patients often were noncompliant. "In optometry school, we were taught to tell patients to buy cotton swabs and baby shampoo, to place the baby shampoo on the swab and to scrub the lid with the cotton swab, once in the morning and once at night," he says. "Well, patients fear poking their eyes out, they find the entire process too complicated to comply with, and they do not want the hassle of replenishing supplies."

For this reason, Dr. Hom prescribes lid scrubs using a washcloth with warm water once in the morning and once at night. "This method of treatment is not only as effective as shampoo lid scrubs in ridding the eye of scaling, but patients comply with it because the items are readily available, and they like the feeling of a warm washcloth," he says.

Instruct patients to massage their lids in a circular fashion and express their meibomian glands with their knuckles for 20 seconds. Then, have them repeat the massage. "Be sure to caution the patient about the hot washcloth, as the eyelid skin is very thin and therefore sensitive," Dr. Hom says. "In other words, you don't want patients burning their eyelids, so encourage them to find the right temperature before they apply the washcloth to their lid."

But are there less tedious ways for patients to provide consistent heat to their lid anatomy for an adequate amount of time? Yes, says Dr. Thimons. "Some patients are going to find walking to the sink and reheating their washcloths annoying, which will cause them to stop complying," he says.

Dr. Thimons' advice to his patients: Hard boil an egg, place it in a thin wet cloth, and place that on the eye. "This provides the patient with an easy mechanism of heat, and the egg fits almost perfectly within the eye socket," he says.

Because eggs can be costly, tell the patient to put that same egg back in the refrigerator to reuse it. By slightly cracking the shell to allow the air to escape from the inside, the patient can place the egg in the microwave for two to three minutes before the next treatment. "I have had patients who have used the same egg all week by doing this," Dr. Thimons says.

No matter what treatment you recommend for your meibomianitis patients, always aim to achieve better compliance.

Vol. No: 142:10Issue: 10/15/2005

I dont think i have ever heard anything more ridiculous in my life...and believe me opthalmologists do come up with alot of nonsense.

He wants to improve patient compliance...and came up with juggling hard boiled egss?

Comment

Well posted Horsados - Very interesting ,and just shows the variety of ingenious ways that can be used to help us with a difficult procedure
      I cant think of a more difficult procedure than heating and massaging the eyelids
      Reasons in my opinion why it is sooo difficult to do(and even more difficult to explain to anybody how to carry out such a procedure)is --firstly its the lids you are wanting to heat and massage NOT the eyes and the anatomy of both makes it awkward to say the least 'cos the eyes are super-sensitive and the lids are v delicate and loose -which means you have to stretch the lids sideways to massage
      Then the eyes are sunk into the orbit and are an awkward shape and the whole anatomy is so small - like the glands can only be seen microscopically - So it is'nt easy
      We are therefore not all non-compliant dummies and it is helpful of anyophthalmologist ,or patients for that matter who can help us with ideas that will work for us - Thanks for that post !!

Comment

I'd almost forgotten but I remember from the Orange County support group that some people use eggs or potatoes as compresses. Whatever works, I say go for it. Rice has a rather longer shelf life though
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Recently I started using Bicarbonate Sodium instead of soap

So many techniques and method of compresses and massages, and most us feel very insecure and doubtful about what is the 'correct' way. Add to that lack of knowledge, lack of understanding and confusion among Ophthalmologists.

Not long ago I started to clean/scrub the internal side of the eye lashes and the meibomian glands. The conventional wisdom is to scrub with eyes close, but this way we only scrub the external side of our eyelashes and not cleaning the meibomian glands. After reading a lot and studying the DES/Blepharitis issue more deeply than ever before (to be honest- although I have this diseases all my life and suffering very much to the point that I can't function normally- work, friends, going out, etc) I always trusted doctors and thought there is nothing to do about it. Anyway, back to the point, I thought to myself - why not cleaning the internal side of the eye lashes while my eyes kept open and also the Meibomian glands.

The results were very impressive- my redness and others symptoms improved significantly, and this makes a lot of sense logically. However, this way the baby shampoo or at least some of it get into the eyes, which is very uncomfortable, however on the positive side that stimulated my eyes to produce tears for a few hours in the begging which was good ! but because I have pucntal plugs that wasn't so great as my eyes became watery and also I guess those tears are the reflex tears and not the baseline tears which we are all aspire to. The reason I say that is because sometime those tears blurred my vision. Anyway after a few days my eyes got used to the baby shampoo and the reflex tears effect was reduce. Later on, I developed a better technique with minimal soap intrusion to the eyes (which I would be happy to further elaborate if anyone would be interested in learning this technique). That push me to search for reading material about soap in the eyes and its affect on tear film, and that former article was the only one I found.

As a result, and also because I thought it would be good to try other techniques and other kind of solution except of baby shampoo, I decided to try BiCarbonate Sodium. I wasn't sure if that could be harmful in case in penetrate into the eyes and still waiting to hear a professional opinion on this matter. However, I did find that Bicarbonate is one of the ingredients in eye drops, as researchers have found that bicarbonate appears to be an important part of the composition of artificial tear solutions. "For individuals with severe dry eye, the additional bicarbonate may be helpful in forming the mucin layer," Dr. Nelson says. So that gave me the confidence to 'take this risk'.

I found the Bicarbonate much more comfortable than baby shampoo, since it's burning and irritating as the shampoo, on the contrary -at least this is my personal experience. I think it made by eyes feeling better though I 'm not sure (I'm only a few days with this trial), on the other hand my brother told me that Bicarbonate is known to have dryness affect, and I think that it dry eyes, though have some doubts whether is really the case or whether my brother's warning got into my head and affected my judgment. To be honest, with so many different "liquids" instilled into my eyes and so many treatments and pain, it's really hard to tell what affect what and what cause what.

I'm curious to learn more about the Bicarbonate effect in a more scientific manner. One things I'm sure about- cleaning the internal side of the eyelashes and the Meibomian gland has a very positive effect and to me it seems like very logical step, that I can only wonder how come no website or Physician ever recommended or mentioned this. The only reason that I could think of why nobody mention this, is to avoid shampoo penetrate into the eyes. So I think that with good technique, or by using Bicarbonate this could be bypassed, and therefore open the door to clean and scrub those glands which the fact that it's blocked is the one of the cause of our suffering.

Comment

very interesting, thanks for posting this
            just keep swimming...

Comment

Working...
            X