this really works for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this really works for me

Hi folks -- just wanted to post something i have found to really unblock the meibomian glands
    After warming the eyes (with me it is steaming last thing at night)
    I decided i would try to gently squeeze the eyelids from both sides between my finger and thumb - yes the inside of the lid as well as the outside
    I do this after washing my hands -especially finger tips well and rinsing them Since i steam, my eyes and lids are wet and slippery so I gently pull the top lid away from the eyeball and take it between my finger and thumb (you need short nails for this ) and squeeze all along the lid -I then do the same with the bottom one, and then the other eye . I then steam some more to offset any irritation
    I continue with my usual procedure after that and end up using a smear of antibiotic ointment on lid margins and lids
    Since doing this i have hardly any need to use lubricating drops and am soooo much better
    If you try it, be very gentle and cautious at first, till you get the hang of it
    I find it must unblock the glands since i am so much better

Hi, I have tried your technique for unblocking the glands for 2 days now but I keep getting some irritation and redness everytime I do it. How hard do you squeeze your lids? And do your glands produce oil all day long after this or do you have to repeat it a few times during the day?
    Cheers
    Wayne

Comment

I use gentle pressure and not deep into the lids - just at the lid margin where the lashes are - I would also steam my eyes for a minute after doing this to keep them moist and offset any irritation only do it once at night I think i must be producing oil now since i have no symptoms Also my optician said my tear film is intact now and seemed to take the attitude that if it worked for me it was OK
      It is a rather unusual method and if it is hurting or irritating your eyes please be careful and dont go on with it
      I have been using this method for several months every night before bed now and along with the chloramphenical ointment i seem to be free of symptoms and go most days without any drops now
      It just seemed more logical to me to use pressure on both sides of the lid rather than only on one side and i did'nt much like pressing my lids up against my eyeball with q tips
      Cheers
      Stella

Comment

Hi Stella

This sounds very interested - unfortunately I am not entirely clear how you are squeezing - can you explain in minute detail the way / location you squeeze please?

Apologies if this is clear to everyone but me!

Thanks

EllMitcho
        The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

O dear its soo frustrating - trying to explain a procedure like this
          I wish i could show it to you - If i was good enough with the computer i could get it videod and put it in as an attatchment
          Its really quite simple
          With your first finger and thumb take hold of your top eyelid -like you were going to pull an eyelash out - but go a bit deeper than the eyelash to the edge of the lid (you will feel a ridge all along the lid which i would call the lid margin which is where i think the little glands open-not quite under the lid - you just pinch along that, starting at your nose and sliding your figer and thumb along pressing at intervals till you reach the outer corner of your eye It takes about 6 seconds each lid.Repeat this with the other 3 lids
          Hope that explains it - It took me a bit of courage at the start and also a bit of skill but i do it now very easily
          Best done if your eye lids are really wet - even if you used some of your usual goop on the lids or on the ball of your finger and thumb
          at first till you get the hang of it. I always do it whilst steaming
          Do wash your hands well and have your nails cut short-at least on your first finger and thumb
          I was a nurse so i probably have a tendency be more experimental than most people - but it has helped me doing this

Comment

ahhh thanks that explains it better - I am going to give it a try!

btw I'm sure I've seen a web site for 'experimental nurses' lol

Thanks again!

EllMitcho
            The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

Hi Stella, Does anything come out of the upper glands or lower that is visible or do you just simply pinch. Thanks

Comment

Hi Plat
                I cant say i have ever noticed any oil after doing eyelid hygiene - but thats not surprising since i steam my eyes and they are pretty wet so it would be hard to notice then Also i wipe the margins with a q tip before applying chloramphenical ointment to the margins only, and outer lids (none in the eyes) though i think some of it it migrates into the eyes overnight probably
                In the morning i am very blurry for a while and i put THAT down to thick oil I massage the lids for a few seconds and usually yawn to produce tears and that clears it.Its easy to yawn first thing in the am and most peaple do - so i just encourage what comes naturally
                I dont mind having blurred vision in the am - it a heck of a lot better than before when my eyelids were glued to my eyeballs ,hurting like crazy till i managed to prise the lids off - and always scared of getting RCEs which a lot of people on this site get

Comment

Working...
                X