Has anyone else experienced this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone else experienced this?

I was officially diagnosed with blepharitis and ocular rosea a little over a week ago. I was given Zylet eye drops to be used four times a day, 40mg of doxycycline to be taken once a day, and erythromycin ointment to be used over the eyelids at night. I quit taking the Zylet on Thursday as instructed by my doctor, he only wanted me to use it for a week. I have kept using the doxy and erythromycin. Today is Saturday, two days later, and my upper eyelids are very puffy and red. I've previously never had a problem with puffy eyelids. Also, when I did my eye compress last night, my vision was blurrier than it's ever been.

I am seeing my doctor on Monday, but since the treatment he put me on is so common, I was hoping other people who have undergone the same treatment could give me some imput. I'm kinda freaking out because it seems my symptoms are getting worse, not better.

Originally posted by mflores22 View Post
    Today is Saturday, two days later, and my upper eyelids are very puffy and red. I've previously never had a problem with puffy eyelids. Also, when I did my eye compress last night, my vision was blurrier than it's ever been. .
    Blurry vision I wouldn't worry about too much unless it lasts. It's common for compresses to cause some blur whether because of increased oil or simply the pressure from the compress. Red puffy eyelids would concern me a little more, makes me wonder if you're reacting the ointment in some way.

Couple of options...

- Continue (if you feel comfortable to) and wait till Monday for your appt.
    - Take some pictures if you can, stop the ointment and show the pics to the doc on Monday when you're discussing it. Come to think of it, take pics anyway.
    - Call the doc's line (there should always be someone on call) and ask for advice on what to do. I personally feel we should not be shy about doing this - your eyeball does not have to be falling out to warrant it.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

My eyelids got really irritated from putting in Azasite drops, which is an antibiotic. So it would sound like a pretty good guess that your erythromycin ointment could be doing the same thing, since it's also an antibiotic. Definitely call your doctor. Sounds like you need to stop the ointment.
      My doctor (Latkany) told me to hold cold compresses (wet washcloth) on my closed eyes as much as I needed to help the sore eyelids get better.

And do what Rebecca said, above. Very good plan.

Comment

Thanks, I'll cut out the ointment. It doesn't seem to be working anyways. If my eye is still puffy in the morning, I'll call my doc.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X