You can see how full your MGs are?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can see how full your MGs are?

At this time, I don't have the medical experts to go to to properly help me with my DES issues (hey - does anybody?). For this reason, like others, I'm trying to figure out what problems I have so I can at least start to try to fix them, or point the "experts" in the right place when I'm lucky enough to be granted an audience.

I took a few photos of my everted lower lids, and can notice yellow on them. remove /remove

left: Prattstar - links to pictures removed at user's request
    right: Prattstar - links to pictures removed at user's request

My left eye has worse DES, but the right is a better picture and easier to see the yellow lines I mean. Does this show my MGs/meibum? If so, normal or not? I'd be interested to see what people think as I don't know without a comparison if this is an issue If you're brave/willing upload a photo.

I like the idea of being able to see the internal MGs though to see if they need expressing etc.

An article which also has a good picture:

By trans-illuminating the everted gland, the size, number, and length can easily be determined. The normal acini are seen as fine striations of the yellow glands and gray fibroelastic intercellular tissue. Congestion of the glands will cause enlargement and be visible as a yellowish globular line.

Observation of meibomian gland obstruction or congestion, or even loss or atrophy of the glands can suggest various forms of meibomian gland disease. Absence or dropout can be determined by the absence of the intermittent striations or small isolated acini with no connection to the ductules.

The meibomian glands should also be evaluated to determine the volume of lipid in reserve, the pressure needed to express fluid, and the quality of meibum expressed. Examination of normal patients and the lipid volume of those patients can provide a good reference level. By comparing the volume expressed with the gland appearance, the etiology behind the condition is usually evident. The pressure needed to express the gland can also aid in determining the presence of stenosis or normal flow pattern for the patient. The turbidity or clarity of the meibum also gives evidence of the condition.
    Last edited by prattstar; 23-Sep-2008, 13:27. Reason: URL's to pictures removed at user's request

Can you repost the links as I can't open them. Or maybe send them privately to me. Thanks

Comment

You need to remove "/remove" from them. Sorry to be a hassle - it's just otherwise pics of my inner eyelids end up on google images when I search for meibomian or similar.

Comment

I believe you can see your glands the best in that second picture you linked. Umm they are on the right side of where your lids are inverted, sorta by the lashes. Those little things and around those little things should be white if they are clogged. The ones I saw did not look clogged to me but that certainly doesn't mean that they aren't or that others aren't (which is probably the case).

I am no doctor so of course this isn't medical advice.

GL though mate, it took me a long damn time to find good doctors and figure out where my glands were clogged at.

When you're being examined and you feel them mess with your lids they are probably checking your glands. You could probably have them show you where they're at too.

Actually I might see some cloggage there. It is tough to tell over the internet. Hopefully some are clogged and others are not. that way you can compare. It should be easier to tell that way.
        Last edited by clairvoyant; 12-Aug-2008, 07:47.
        Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

Just to be clear - I'm not talking about the gland openings (i.e. where the meibum is excreted) , but rather the contents of the glands (i.e. the yellow lines you can see in the photos on the inner sides of the lids).

Comment

My mistake. That is really neat lol I had no idea but now that I think back at some diagrams I have looked at it makes sense. I can defenitely see those yellow lines in your picture too.

I can't find any on mine but I think I need a better mirror. Very cool, gonna go find one of them mirrors and check mine out.
            Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

I can't find any on mine but I think I need a better mirror. Very cool, gonna go find one of them mirrors and check mine out.
              Digital cameras are your friend here. I've got a bit better at using mine, and yesterday I figured out that I pretty much need flash, but that I can reduce the exposure to get better pictures.

I might make a separate post about it - it's helpful to see that status of your eyes much better than you can with a mirror, and also track their progress over time.

It's helped me see possible problems with my inner upper lids - should be posting some pics in a different post (lid wiper) later today.

Comment

can defenitely see those yellow lines in your picture too.
                And of course without a reference pictures of normal eye lids, I can't be certain mine are normal or not! Funny thing about the Internet - doesn't show you pics of normal eyes/lids really.

Comment

Working...
                X