Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meibomitis - Question

Hi everyone,

I've been doing some online research about Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. None of my doctors seem to want to come right out and say that this is what I have, but they tell me that I have Blepharitis or that my oil glands are clogged up with toothpaste like oil. After reading about MGD online I have to say that I am feeling very discouraged. I'm very confused about how bad my MGD might be and if I can ever get it under control. Am I doomed to a life of miserable dry eyes? It just seems like this stuff never goes away and the treatments for it don't seem that great. I know that I most likely had this stuff before lasik but it wasn't bothering me. I just can't stand to think that I have ruined my life by bringing this to the surface.

This is a website that I found... do any of you have oil glands that are clogged like the pictures on this website? Do the warm compresses even help if the oil glands are very clogged. I've read that the oil glands can close off completely and it really has me panicked. I'd appreciate any feedback.

http://dro.hs.columbia.edu/meibomitis2.htm

Right now I'm a little more than four months post-lasik and my dry eyes have improved somewhat but they are nowhere near feeling normal. I use tears, restasis, bottom punctal plugs, and flaxseed oil. I also do warm compresses and lid scrubs. I've read about lid massages but I'm afraid that I might damage my recently operated on eyes. I don't want to mess with the flap.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Missy

PS... I also posted this on the D'Eyealouges website, so please ignore it if you read it here.

Missy,
    My eye doctor has told me that I have MGD with secondary episcleritis. He told me that I have had this for a while and that LASIK surgery has made it worse. I live with blood shot eyes that look like I have been drinking all night. I have tried every eye drop that has been made, warm compresses, flax seed oil, etc. you name it I have tried it. My doctor advised me not to do the lid massage, he said it could lead to infection, but who knows. I was on Doxycycline for months and months. I still am on Restases and Alrex drops. I have found that GenTeal gel at night and the NutraTears during the day works best for me.

My eyes look worse than they feel. I am lucky there. I just wish there was something they could do about the blood shot eyes. Also, I told my doctor they need to really explain more about dry eyes and the MGD before you have LASIK surgery. If I knew I had this stuff I sure wouldn't have gone through with the surgery. But, I've quit beating myself up over this decision and am trying to learn to live with it. I pray to God everyday that the find a cure for this.

Hang in there and hopefully you will find some comfort.

Comment

Clogged glands

Hi Missy,

I have clogged glands also, and I really notice it when I don't keep up my regimen of a hot compress once a day and a thorough cleaning of my eyes in the morning and before I go to bed to get all the "gunk" out. When my eyes start to burn badly, I use the compress twice a day for a week or two, and then they start to feel better, so it MUST be helping. I, too, heard at one point that the glands could become permanently clogged, but I'm not so sure that that is true. I also do gentle lid massage, mainly on the bottom lid, being careful not to touch the eyeball or get near the punctal plugs (I have four).

Melinda

Comment

Thanks guys, your suggestions are so helpful. I've only been doing the compresses and stuff for a few (3) months so hopefully I'll be able to get mine under control soon. If I can ever get my eyes back to feeling "normal" I will be SOOOO happy.

Comment

Working...
        X