Sterilid..Ouch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterilid..Ouch!

Just tried this for the first time and it stings pretty severely is this normal..it's still stinging a little half an hour later! I'll carry on with it idf it's beneficial in the long run but i don't fancy this regular stinging after use!

This happened to me the first time I tried SteriLid, and I gave it up for something milder. I think my eyes were just too sensitive and dry, and this was too harsh for my eyelids at that time.

Liquid Cetaphil is much gentler and probably won't sting and is an acceptable choice for lid scrubs, too. (I don't know if you can get it in the UK or if it's called something different. Here, it's cheaper and easier to find than SteriLid.) Ocusoft pads are also good and less likely to sting.

I would not keep using a lid scrub that hurt that much or for that long.

I eventually went back to SteriLid, and it's what I use now, twice a day. It does not sting or bother me, but my eyes are not as inflamed as they were.

One more thing: make sure you are shaking the bottle well before using it! I think that not shaking it can lead to more stinging.

Good luck!
    Teri

Comment

Sam

I find I have more problems when I use anything that comes in a bottle. This is because I tend to use far more than I need and this makes my eyes very, very sore

I fare better with the pre-soaked pads. At the moment I'm trying Supranettes and find them gentler than Lid Care. Sometimes I just use a warm wet flannel to clean round the eyes - and that can be sufficient.

My opinion only - I found Ocusoft harsh but you can see that its suits Teri. I agree with Teri that perhaps you shouldn't keep using something that stings so much. I don't think I got on that well with Sterilid either.

Teri - we can get Cetaphil here in the UK but I thought it was just a cleanser for sensitive skin. Is it OK to use near the eyes?

Comment

My eye doc gave me three choices with lid scrubs: SteriLid, Ocusoft pads, or liquid Cetaphil. He said that the Cetaphil is very gentle and will not dry the skin (like baby shampoo, for example). I used Cetaphil for over a year with no problems at all, so, yes, I believe it is safe to use near the eye. (Obviously, you wouldn't want to get it *in* your eye!)

It is important to let the cleanser sit on the eyelashes/eyelids for at least 1 minute, to make sure it is killing the bacteria there.

And, while the other cleansers (like SteriLid) may be more effective at killing bacteria, if your eyes and eyelids are too tender, raw, and sore to tolerate them, then I think it's better to use something gentler rather than torturing yourself.

Teri

Comment

Great timing for this dialog you two. I'm going out to buy Ocusoft tomorrow. I hope I do well with it. I've bought pads in the past, but either found it to sting, or more likely couldn't see any marked changes in my comfort. As was typical way back, I never stuck with any treatment very long. I'm ready to try in earnest now.

D
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Tried the Sterilid again Saturday,still got the stinging though not as bad as the first time. Unsure whether to persevere or as per suggestions here try something else.Maybe with regular use i'tll get less harsh?

Comment

Here in the USA the product line from manufacturer Cetaphil includes skin cleansers as well as skin moisturizers.
              I can't comment from personal experience about its effectiveness in lid scrubs -- never tried it on my face.
              But several years ago I developed problems with dry skin on my feet and legs.
              Although she deemed it not even serious enough to be worthy of issuing a prescription, my dermatologist/doctor strongly recommended this brand for regular use. It helped me!

< disclaimer -- I don't own stock in the company; I cannot say whether your dermis will as happy as my dermis if/when you slather on the products; and in case your chin or your eyebrows should fall off after use, it won't be my fault! -- disclaimer inspired by our poster "jlg_uk," who unfailingly adds such cautions to posts whenever he/she offers a personal testimonial about a product >

Comment

Saltysam,

Well, if the stinging was a bit reduced from before, maybe that trend will continue. Maybe you could give it a week, if the stinging is not unbearable, and see if things improve. You can switch to something else at any time....

This is one of the great challenges of any chronic illness, I think. Knowing when to stick with something and when to quit, knowing how to listen to your body and when to listen to your doctor instead.

Teri

P.S. Mary -- I don't care about your disclaimer! I'm going to hold you personally responsible for any Cetaphil-related problems I experience at any time in the future!

Comment

That is so true. I also find that things might be OK to begin with and then problems come a bit later.

When (or if) you should quit Sam? What do your eyelids look like just now? Are they dry - do they feel sore? If so, then I would give things a rest for a couple of days and then have another go.

Mary and Teri - that is so interesting about Cetaphil. If I go out and buy some, I will not, under any circumstances, hold either of you liable for indirect, special or consequential damages

Comment

My eyelids feel a bit tender but they actually look ok.i think i will leave it a couple of days and give it another go.

Comment

Working...
                    X