Keeping the compress hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping the compress hot?

Hi guys: I do moist heat compresses with a rice baggy for 30 min. at a time. The baggie cools after 10 min or so, so I have to get up and re-nuke it - interrupting my routine.

Any tricks for this one? A friend thinks I should get a second baggie and keep it inside a folded electric heat pad at my bedside, so I could immediately "swap" it with the other one after it cools. May try this, though not sure if it's better in theory than practice! i.e. would an electric heat pad keep a baggie warm enough??

Love your input/other tips here.

Thanks. Rob in Queens, NY

I use the HotSnapZ products but the sizes I use, 4" round or so don't last 10 minutes.

For the "Home eye spa" only 3 minutes is required.

I also like the portability and keep one in the glove box of my car along with a clean dry washcloth in case I need this relief while out and about.

www.HotSnapZ.com
    "In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer"
    -Albert Camus

Comment

Rob, are you sure that using the hot compress more than 10 minutes is even useful? I would wonder on that. Too much heat/hot can make inflammation worse.

For pain, I've always found icepacks ease the pain better than anything. I know you still need the hot packs for your MGD, but are you using the longer heating time to ease your discomfort? Just wondering. Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Has anyone asked their Dr. about the hot compresses possibly speeding up the progression of cataracts?I have been doing hot compresses for 6 months now,first with a washcloth and recently switched to the rice baggy.Different Dr's have told me different times,from 3-5 minutes and up to 10 minutes and 1 Dr. said 20 minutes.My Dr. said to do it 3x a day.It was recently brought to my attention that this may speed progression of cataracts,which I was told I have early stages of.Also,my vision is severely blurred so I am unsure if this may be the poor tear film or cataracts getting more progressed.Just wondered if anyone has any info.Good Luck to you all.

Comment

Hi Sandra-
          I've had Lasik surgery on both eyes and cataract surgery on one eye. I still have a cataract remaining as I'm afraid of the operation because my vision isn't good on the first cat surgery. But, I must say that I've not heard anything about hot compresses making cataracts worse. I've been to many eye drs over the past 10 years and no one has mentioned this to me. Also, this is the first time I've heard of it.

It could be the case, but I doubt it. Maybe if you find something concrete you could post a link on here? We certainly should change our habits if this is the case. Lucy
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by sandra lee View Post
            It was recently brought to my attention that this may speed progression of cataracts,which I was told I have early stages of.
            Brought to your attention by whom? If a doctor can you ask them for medical references or whatever else their source may have been?

I would be truly astonished if there were any connection between common warm compresses & cataracts. Warm compresses for stys and such are as old as the hills.

Regarding the wide variety of advice about how to do compresses... yes there's a wide range of recommendations though I'm not sure how much science is behind most of the common ones. The biggest concern with heat in my opinion is the risk of too much heat (burning lids or even cornea) and too frequent application which an increase inflammation. Also, heavy compresses like a rice baggy can briefly 'reshape' the cornea - that's a nuisance, not a risk because it doesn't last but it can be disconcerting to have blurry vision afterwards if you don't know why.

Also,my vision is severely blurred so I am unsure if this may be the poor tear film or cataracts getting more progressed.Just wondered if anyone has any info.
            Doctor should be able to pin it down I would think? Just offhand, usually (though not always) blurring from dry eye would fluctuate since the tear film fluctuates, while cataract impact on vision should be more consistent.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

I have tried the rice baggie and thought it just doesnet stay warm enough or long enough. I personally use a heat pack from the store I got mine at wal mart its a clay one and I wrap it with 1 wet wash cloth fold it in half then put a dry cloth over that the heat of the wet cloth goes through the dry one and gets the area very moist and also stays hot 20 minutes. I am not saying the rice baggie is not good just this has been more helpful to me. I have tried everything to make heat moist and keep hot the longest. this works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mike838 View Post
                I have tried the rice baggie and thought it just doesnet stay warm enough or long enough. I personally use a heat pack from the store I got mine at wal mart its a clay one and I wrap it with 1 wet wash cloth fold it in half then put a dry cloth over that the heat of the wet cloth goes through the dry one and gets the area very moist and also stays hot 20 minutes. I am not saying the rice baggie is not good just this has been more helpful to me. I have tried everything to make heat moist and keep hot the longest. this works for me.
                I think I use the same clay heat pack. I like it because it can be "molded" to fit the eye region and has enough "weight" to stay put.

Comment

Hey Mike, Beagle ... I'd really love to see a picture of this mysterious clay lump or, better - a link to where to buy one. PM me for info? Thanks, Rob

Comment

http://www.hardtofindproducts.com/cf...lpha&setback=1

I just googled it and this is what I got I cannot find there website. I got mine at walgreens. I think it was in the 10-12 range also.

Comment

Working...
                    X