Ways to express glands at home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ways to express glands at home?

Hey, is there any good way to apply more force to express the meibomian glands without pressing against the eyeball? I feel like the massage of the lids does nothing except feeling uncomfortable and is even possibly cornea threatening. I know the doctors have instruments to push against the inner lid. Is there maybe a technique to squeeze both lids between your fingers or something?

Hi, i am not aware of any other method, you could try squeezing your eyelids but it might be too uncomfortable. The instruments docs use are effective but they are not usually available to the general public and im not sure it would safe to use them at home on a daily basis.

Comment

I am going to be ordering the Meibomian Gland Forceps instrument the doctors use and try expressing my glands on my own. I've reached that point of drastic measure and desperation to where I'm taking matters into my own hands. When I try it I will let you know how it goes.

Comment

Hi Wissen1 and DKott27

Dr Korb recommends to squeeze glands, in order not to damage the cornea.
        I think it is expecially important for the upper since it is more risky.
        See viedo 32:53. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYjB...g&spfreload=10

Maybe you would like to read a related article
        by Sandra M. Brown, MD - Cabarrus Eye Center, Concord NC -
        http://dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/mgcare.html

With 20-zoom mirror, often I can see oil drops from upper glands.
        ----------------------------
        Hi DKott27
        Before you do that, maybe it is good to consider issues such as
        exact glands/oil status, compress heat/duration as they are related.
        If your oil is thick, maybe you need longer time, say 15 -20 min. instead of 10.
        If your glands are clogged, maybe need to solve this first, otherwise oil wont come out??
        Best is to find a professional to do it for you.

Omeg 3? if you oil quality is not good or have inflammation issue, omeg 3 is vital.
        Last edited by MGD1701; 03-Jul-2017, 00:39.

Comment

MGD1701 I was told awhile back by one doctor to squeeze eyelids after warm compress but I found it only agitated it. Plus I never read anywhere online about squeezing eyelids so I quit doing it. I didn't see anything actually coming out when I squeezed. Also when I do warm compress (I actually use a face steamer) I feel like I can feel stuff loosening up but it doesn't come up. I tried massaging the eyelid and pushing down from top to bottom or bottom to top hoping some of the stuff that was loosened would come out but no effect. Is that how I should massage them, up-down, top-bottom? Rather than circular motions? I'm curious though about the squeezing of the eyelids. I never tried the bottom lid. I always squeezed the top lid because that is where my discomfort is. My discomfort is at the very bottom of the top eyelid and I can't really squeeze the very bottom of the top eyelid because my fingers just slip. I am going to get the 20-zoom mirror. I never thought about using something like that. I've been using fish oil for awhile now also. I hear about this Dr. Korb a lot as well. I'm so desperate for a solution I'm tempted to make the road trip to MA. I live in MI.

What can be frustrating actually is that you can't tell anything is wrong with it. My eye looks fine. Doctors examine closely through a microscope and say everything looks normal. I just want to scream like...I am in excruciating discomfort and your telling me my eye looks completely fine? Only one doctor was able to see something. He put these drops in that made things green or something and was able to see it better. He is also the only doctor who would express my glands.
          Last edited by DKott27; 02-Jul-2017, 15:17.

Comment

What do you mean by squeezing? Just squeezing with the muscles around the eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by DKott27 View Post
              I am going to be ordering the Meibomian Gland Forceps instrument the doctors use and try expressing my glands on my own. I've reached that point of drastic measure and desperation to where I'm taking matters into my own hands. When I try it I will let you know how it goes.
              Please be careful, read the link above. Have you exhausted every other avenue, ie Drops, ILP, Lipiflow, Eye bag, etc?

Comment

I can't afford Lipiflow. I'm barely getting by paying my bills. What is ILP?

Comment

Hi Dkott27

Facial steamer: is effective but be CAREFUL with the heat & close eyes is safer.
                  Some doctors suggest forceful blinking (about 10 times?) instead of massage after compress.
                  You can find some viedos from youTube about massage.

I think it would be effectiver if you know your glands/oil status. Different situation need different approach, temperature, duration etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DKott27 View Post
                    I can't afford Lipiflow. I'm barely getting by paying my bills. What is ILP?
                    https://www.healio.com/optometry/cor...d-studies-show
                    unfortunately they all cost money.

Comment

Working...
                    X