Use good technique with compresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use good technique with compresses

Hi all - it was only about 1-2 months ago that I chaged my warm compress technique and I think the new technique has helped.

In my old system (prior to 1-2 months ago), I always would soak the wash cloth to make it warm/hot (not too hot) and then place it over my eyes. However, every time I placed it over my eyes, the cloth would mostly rest on my top lids.

In my new system, I alternate the wash cloth between my top lids and my bottom lids (about 1-2 minutes per lid with a little massaging during the process). Of course, the top lids get some indirect warmth when I focus on my bottom lids and visa versa.

After each round or two of doing both the top and bottom lids (about every 3-4 minutes), I stretch my eyelids sideways by pulling on the skin near my temples and then run my index finger from my nose to my ear along the eyelid margins (being very careful not to polk myself in the eye).

I mention the above process not so much so that everyone can follow what I am doing. The main reason I mention it is because it is easy to forget that the meibomian glands on our bottom lids are also very important and we should not just rest the warm wash cloth or rice baggy on our top lids for 5, 10, or 15 minutes and think that we are doing the full job of loosening the oils in the glands (i.e. in all 4 lids).

In my case, when I changed my technique, I noticed some good improvement in my meibomian function. Also, if you are going to use the index finger technique near the eye, I have two tips ... 1) have a steady hand so that you don't polk your eye (I'm doing well over the course of 1-2 months knock on wood) and 2) wash your hands well prior to the compresses.

My glands have improved to the point where I am now only doing compresses one time a day for 15 minutes. For my case, 15 minutes works well since I get some of the white stringy oil out between the 10-15 minute mark. Therefore, I wouldn't want to stop at 5-10 minutes since the non-liquified "stuff" would not come out.

BTW, I am not dry eye symptom free. Sometimes my eyes feel dry, other times they ache, and once in a while, I have pretty good periods of time. In the last month or so, it has been interesting to observe that when my eyes ache, they do not feel dry and when they are dry they don't ache. I wonder if the aching means that things are working better, but not in an optimal way

Anyway, this is a long post with a simple message ... don't forget to rest the warm washcloth or rice baggy on the bottom lids/meibomian glands once in a while. I think a little massaging action on the lids help the process as well. Best. YGB.

YGB--a variation of this that I've found helpful is in addition to what you're telling us. It's the stretching the eyelid sideways. ?! After doing your compresses etc. while the eyelid is pulled to the side....take the clean wet washcloth and gently rub those glands. A back and forth motion, VERY gently and you'll be massaging those meibs and it will help. Use your index finger with the washcloth wrapped over the end and you're ready to get those glands cleaned out.
    Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Here's another observation based on some warm compress experimentation I have been doing in the last few weeks ...

Based on where my MGD is at this point (a lot better than a few months ago, but certainly not normal), I have found that 1 compress a day for 15 minutes is better than 2 compresses a day for 5 minutes.

Also, the one compress per day is much better for me if done at night. The reason is that my eyes get drier after the compress (likely because of the oils draining out). Therefore, I wouldn't want to start my day with the compress. I have done the short compress in the day a couple of times in the last few weeks and consistently have dry eye issues soon after.

For my one compress per day at night, I am sticking with a 15 minutes duration alternating top and bottom lids. While I don't want to drain out all of the oil, I feel my glands need the extra time to melt the non-liquid oil. I now consistently see the white stringy stuff between the 10-15 minute mark.

I view this as a good news/bad news issue. The good news is that it is coming out. The bad news is that it seems to clog up again the next day .

Comment

Working...
      X