what do you all use for warming up mebomian glands before massage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you all use for warming up mebomian glands before massage

I have tried the warm cloth on my eyes for 3 minutes but it doesn't stay warm for longer than 30 seconds or so. What other methods have you all come up with?

Hi,

I fill the sink with hot water, and use it to top-up my cloth every 30 seconds. I do the whole thing for 5 minutes.

Ian.

Comment

Rice Baggy

I use the rice baggy zapped in the microwave for about 1 minute. I like something wet between the baggy and my eyelids and use halves of a paper towel as it's more hygenic than facecloths. I leave the rice baggy on until it cools, then do my lid massage and then the eyelash/eyelid scrub. It feels so awesome. I can feel the oil flow from my glands.

Natalie

Comment

washcloth or shower

At home, same as Ian...washcloth warmed again each time it cools for 5 - 10 minutes. It actually works and feels great. Have also found, when traveling for work, that a good hot shower on pulse setting which I let run across my eyes every couple of minutes works just as well.

Best,

Comment

What is a rice baggy & where are they purchased?

Comment

A rice baggy is a little cloth sack filled with rice which you warm in the microwave and apply over your lids. Personally this is my preferred method of heat treatment for MGD because it retains heat well and the weight of the rice, and flexibility of the baggy, make it conform to the eyes in such a way that it delivers heat into the eyelids effectively and for long enough to really loosen things up. You must be very careful not to overheat it though.

You can get instructions for making a simple one at this link, or you can buy a 'souped up' version in The Dry Eye Shop at this link.

I like a rice baggy followed by gentle lid massage/expression as my way of keeping my MGs in good shape.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

I used a wheat bag, it takes 1-2mins in the microwave and stays warm for long enough.

Comment

I steam my whole face for 5 minutes using a basin of boiling water and a towel
                Stella

Comment

I used a boil in the bag rice sachet tied inside a clean white cotton sock. Zap it on full for 40 seconds and you get at least 20 minutes of good warmth

Comment

Working...
                  X