My alternative to the rice baggy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My alternative to the rice baggy

OK.....Don't panic, I'm using a baggy full of water. If you think this is too dangerous for you, stop reading now! I am not recommending this for anyone else, but I have found it works well for me. I WOULDN'T THINK ABOUT DOING THIS WITH PLUG-IN APPLIANCE AROUND MY HEAD OR FACE. I will also make sure I don't ever use an electric blanket with this.

What I did was get one of those HEFTY OneZip bags, and filled it about half full of water and pressed all the air out. Then I experimented to see what it would take to get it to accidentally come open. Surprisingly, it is hard to get the water to come out in any other way besides sliding the zipper or sitting on it.

So you are asking, why would I take the chance with water and not stay with my trusty rice bag? The answer is that there are some advantages to water. Water has excellent heat retention properties and will maintain its initial temperature longer and more stably than rice. Also, I can regulate the exact temperature with the time set on my microwave. Because the moisture content varies with the rice, the rice temperature varies and I can get hot spots. Another thing I like is the way the water conforms to my eye area.

The most important thing I found is to not heat the bag up too much. I found that it is easy to make it too hot. It might feel OK at first but within a few minutes it is too hot. I experimented to find my exact time to make the water just right. Better too cool than too hot.

Richard.

Very interesting. I will definitely try that out!

By the way - I always place my rice baggy in the microwave as flat as possible, and shake it up well when it comes out. Never had a problem with hot spots but theoretically I can certainly understand that they happen.

One of the issues I have with any heat method is that personally, I don't like to get a lot of heat all around the eye sockets (forehead, temples etc). I want it as much as possible just on the eyedlids. That's why I actually really liked the Eyefeel devices (although they are costly if you use them daily) and was disappointed we couldn't get them imported for wider distribution. With the rice, I typically take it by opposite corners - i.e. one corner on each end, same side - to let it consolidate at the other seam, and lay it across my eyes that way. Maximizes heat retention for me as I like a nice long compress. I've been getting 10-15 minutes useful heat out of it doing 45 seconds on high.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Heat-related, a little OT

I did not want to start a new thread on this matter, and I thought that this thread might draw people who can give me some advice. However, it is a bit off topic.

I noticed that before I had recurrent corneal erosions, I often got relief from uncomfortable eyes in sort of automatic (I'd say not even fully conscious) ways. One thing that I loved to do was to take pretty warm showers and hold my face under the spray for a few seconds at a time. I hate water in my eyes but not on my eyelids. Since the erosions, I have been frightened of getting my face wet, so I just rub soap off and on with a washcloth.

What I want to know: Once my eye heals up a bit and I can go maybe two months without an erosion, do you think that I could take up this old, favorite habit? Might it even help?

Another heat-related issue: In the winter when I would bake or open the door of the fireplace, my eyes always felt good getting a little distanced dry heat, too. Is this deleterious to a person with anterior basement membrane dystrophy? Should I avoid such things this coming winter?

Comment

Working...
      X