Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compresses-cold or warm?

Hello,

I am a newbie with Sjogrens (25 yrs old). Curious to know if cold or warm compresses are better for Sjogrens. I was recommended cold by my eye doctor but see that warm are recommended on the Sjogrens home web page. Just want to see which works better, if at all Thanks!
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Originally posted by kcoffiner
    Hello,

I am a newbie with Sjogrens (25 yrs old). Curious to know if cold or warm compresses are better for Sjogrens. I was recommended cold by my eye doctor but see that warm are recommended on the Sjogrens home web page. Just want to see which works better, if at all Thanks!
    Heat and cold have different functions in dry eye:

Heat packs liquefy chronically thick meibum (oil) in the meibomian glands so that it gets into, and stabilizes, the tear film. This is a daily treatment for many people with meibomian gland dysfunction. It should not be overdone - particularly with some conditions like rosacea. Additional treatments for MGD include Omega 3s and oral antibiotics.

Some people also use heat packs just for the soothing effect.

Cold packs are commonly used to reduce pain and inflammation when the eyes are tired, sore and inflamed.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Compresses

Thanks for your reply! My doctor told me that my TBUT was pretty good for someone with Sjogrens. She indicated that my primary problem was aqeuous deficiency. I probably will use a combo of cold and hot as needed. Thanks!
      If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

New idea for warm moist compress! Feels great!

I have tried several products and I have decided the one that works the best is my "Bed Buddy". This product is found at Walgreens and is a moist heat compress that is mainly designed for the neck. However, I have found that if I heat it in the microwave as instructed and place it over my eyes for a few minutes, it is so soothing and relaxing after a long day of working at a computer. It molds to the shape of your face and lays quite nicely in place even when turning on your side. Be cautious to not heat it too long so as not to burn your eyelids. I usually set it for about a minute in the microwave. It runs about 10 dollars and can be used for other things too. I use one for my eyes, my daughter uses hers for breastfeeding purposes, and my hubby uses one for his sore shoulder! It is a cheap remedy and if it does not help with your eyes, at least you can use it for other things!

Comment

Working...
        X