warm compresses... or just moisture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warm compresses... or just moisture?

Hi I'm new here. I'm 40 and just got diagnosed with dry eye.

Prior to that, had been dx with blepharitis 2 years ago. Drs suggested I rub my eyes with a warm washcloth and gave me restasis.
    I have been doing this and on 4th week of restasis. No real relief yet.
    Question: someone here said they fill up a bowl with hot/boiling water and put a towel over their head (like you do when you have a headcold) and let the moisture seep into their eyes.

Will that really help to stimulate the meiboian (sp?) glands? I suspect that is my problem... thanks.

I think an actual compress would be more effective. The "steam bath" would feel good and I suppose get the oils flowing a bit, but it's not a very convenient thing to do. I do my compresses in 5 minutes flat...day and night using either a rice baggie in the microwave or a heating pad with a damp washcloth.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Rice baggies are the way to go

I agree that using a warm compress is a better choice than trying to steam your face. This link will give you information on how to construct and use a warm compress (rice baggies are wonderful and cheap to make): http://www.dryeyezone.com/encycloped...ompresses.html

Also, if you haven't picked up Dr. Latkany's book, "The Dry Eye Remedy," I highly recommend it. It's a quick read and a great resource for information about dry eyes.

Comment

In defense of steaming

I tried all other methods and would'nt swap my steaming for any other
        It's wet and comforting and you can have your eyes closed /half open /or fully open.It also makes it much easier to massage or work with the lids because they are wet - Previously i was beginning to damage the skin on my eyelids which were drying out, and since i seemed to be allergic to all eyelid creams i could'nt moisturize
        Another spin off is that my complexion has softened and improved -
        Yes its a bit messy but my eyes are so much better now i only do it at night and cant wait to do it sometimes as it is so soothing
        Each to his/her own method - but i would'nt want to discourage anyone from trying this since i find it so good
        The main thing is to use heat - wet heat is known to pennetrate more than dry actually

Comment

The steam thing might be easier for those without young children! I'd worry about scalding my kids.

I agree that steam is good, although I've not steamed my eyes but enjoy the warm moisture from swimming in a very warm pool. Just keep my head above water so the most moisture is right at eyeline.

Maybe some of you should ask for a face steamer for Christmas!
          Lucy

P.S. There is a sauna where I go to the pool, but the dry heat hurts my eyes. I don't use the sauna.........but would love a steam room.
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Face steaming concern

Originally posted by stella
            I tried all other methods and would'nt swap my steaming for any other
            My concern about face steaming is that it can cause spider veins to surface. If you google "face steaming spider veins," you'll see a number of references to this and recommendations to avoid steaming if this is a concern. I don't know what affect (if any) it has on rosacea or other skin conditions.

I don't want to discourage anyone from finding dry eye relief in whatever way works best for them. I just want to place my vote for rice baggies!

Comment

Yes - just googled spider veins and it would appear to be a genuine concern for some people
              Having said that if you google face steaming you will find lots of resons to do it - cleansing, hydrating ,opening up the pores ,good for blackheads and acne - Its only water -admittedly hot but i cant imagine it could do worse harm than sun bathing which is the ultimate insult to the skin - specially the face, and boy have i sunbathed in the past before all those scares
              I have a good skin - a bit dry - but i find it has really improved since steaming and i did it for my eyes not my face
              I found that dry heat was giving me wrinkles round my eyes and making my lids dry and uncomfortable and i just could'nt find an eye cream that did'nt set my symptoms off
              So its steaming for me - only 5 to 7 minutes a night.If it has'nt given me thread veins after a year , i doubt if i will get them now
              I cant use rice baggies 'cos i dont seem to be able to tolerate rice on my eyes -even covered in cotton - allergy thing again i suppose

Comment

Working...
              X