Rice etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rice etc

Ooooh goody. Another rice baggy fan. And in a CE course no less!

ODs face increasing need for knowledge of nonpharmaceutical treatments

Alternative treatments for dry eye
    Many nonpharmaceutical treatments exist that are effective for dry eyes. One major cause of dryness is lid disease. The core treatment for lid disease is lid hygiene (scrubs, massages and soaks).

In a study by Paugh and colleagues, 21 patients with contact lens intolerance were treated in one eye with lid hygiene for meibomian gland dysfunction. After 2 weeks of treatment, fluorescein breakup time was improved an average of 4 seconds compared to the control eye. These objective results were corroborated by reports of improved subjective comfort with contact lens wear after therapy.

One of the most effective methods of lid hygiene and massage is using uncooked rice and a sock. See the accompanying table for details. Microwaving a sock with uncooked rice and massaging the lids works very well. Flaxseed (not the oil) can be used in place of uncooked rice. Placing a wet sterile gauze under the sock can enhance the process with moist heat.

I like to add lid expression after the massage for those patients with meibomian gland dysfunction. Some experts like to use microwaved potatoes or boiled eggs for heat and lid massage. I prefer not to use them because of the limited shelf life of food products.

Current thinking is that lid disease that does not go away with conventional treatment is most likely ocular Demodex. Demodex has been targeted as a potential cause of ocular surface inflammation, meibomian gland dysfunction and lash abnormalities.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
    Ooooh goody. Another rice baggy fan. And in a CE course no less!

ODs face increasing need for knowledge of nonpharmaceutical treatments
    nice! I do love my rice baggy.

Can more people please comment on Demodex. I do have lid disease that doesn't go away w/ conventional treatment. Has anyone been diagnosed or talked to their doctor about Demodex?

Comment

Tea Tree Oil for Demodex

Dr. Tseng published a research that show that treatment with Tea Tree Oil is effective against Demodex. So you might want to try it.

There is an experiment with with Demodex going on now, and I would post about in case result would come out positive.

Comment

Working...
      X