Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often should I be doing lid scrubs and compresses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often should I be doing lid scrubs and compresses?

Hi all,

Well, if you read my earlier post you would know that drops alone don't work for me, I think I have an MGD problem, although I scored 7 seconds on the tear break -up time test which, according to this site and my optometrist is 'marginal', but my symptoms are really more on the severe end. As in, constant pain pretty much all day and waking up in severe agony during the night from bone dry eyes. Unfortunately for me though, I can't use any drops to keep them moistened at night because they just don't agree with me and it makes things worse.

SO, according to the absolutely amazing advice on this site (more helpful anything my opthom has told me, go figure) I have started lid scrubs, massages and warm compresses. The warm compresses definitely help for like an hour or so after I do them, but then the pain tends to come back. I've been doing 2-3 compresses followed by scrubs per day. I was just wondering for a person in the very early stages of trying to clear his eyelids and establish some sort of normality there how often should I be doing the compresses/scrubs/massages? And how long should it typically be before I actually get some beneficial effects in the form of less pain and more moisture in the eye?

Also, sorry to be pestering with all these questions, but I really wanna fix my eyes and do the technique properly, how do you get your eyes when doing the massages to make the 'squish' noise? I was told once you hear that you know the oils are flowing out nicely but I can't seem to make mine do it. All I am doing is using one index finger to make the other eyelid taut and then using the finger to rub in a circular motion fairly gently for about 10-20 seconds. Is this good enough, what else can I do?

Well, thanks so much to anyone who read all that. I really appreciate any help, even little things like this help to change my life.

I got no benefit until I learned to do it the Eye Spa way that Dr. Latkany teachs on this site and in his book "The Dry Eye Remedy" (amazon has it). Within 10 days of doing it his way I was getting excellent results. I have continued with it daily for many weeks and if I miss a single day my eyes are worse. I asked him a question on his thread and he told me how to tell if it is working. You might check out his area of this forum as he is very helpful and will answer your questions about this. The book is worth it's weight in gold.

Comment

Eyelid scrubs and compresses

The whole idea of the eyelid scrubs and compresses is to help unclog the pores that secrete oil onto your eyeball. The oil helps retain your tear film. Blepharitis is when these pores get clogged and the oil can't get out. This leads to nothing being able to "stick" to your eyeball aka rapid tearfilm breakup. The scrub removes debris around the pores and in between your eyelashes. and the warm compress turns any oil that has is plugged in the pores into a more liquid state so it can flow onto your eye. The relief you are feeling is due to the oil keeping the tear film on your eyes and making them less dry. I'm a poster child for Blepharitis and it took about a year for me to understand what was going on with my dry eye problems. I don't get a lot of pain (which is probably not good as my eye doesn't know it's dry, taking Restasis for this and it is helping a lot. I actually do feel discomfort now when I never did before.) but I do get really lousy vision when my tearfilm breakup goes down.

Comment

I am confused about this.

I had Lasik on one eye and have dry eye. When I asked my surgeon about Blepharitis and MGD I was told that I had neither of these, that my dry eyes are caused by the tear reflex and not by Blepharitis.

Lasiksurvivor....do you have Blepharitis? Is it from Lasik?

I do the warm compressors and lid massage rather then srcubs but I have been told by my lasik surgeon that I don't need to do anything of this kind. I have Dr. L's book, when I did the lid scrubs I never heard any squish sounds or say anything popping.

As a post Lasik patient do I need to be doing the scrubs, is this relevant to me?

Comment

Blepharitis

Look at your the lower edge of your eyelid in the mirror where the eyelashes are. If it is slightly swollen or puffy, you may have Blepharitis. If it is wrinkled (well depending age, I suppose) and appears normal, you may not. It is fairly easy for a trained doctor to tell. The one I am seeing now spotted mine 5 feet away in a semi darkened room. This was after I stopped doing my warm compresses and had a really horrible relapse.

Comment

Hi Arcaeon !
            You need to experiment with your eyelid hygiene
            The goal is to unblock the ducts and liquify the oil in the glands so that it can flow freely
            This is done by heat and massage and cleansing the eyelid margins of debris and bacteria
            This can be done many ways - I recommend Dr Latkanys way - Though i do steaming myself.
            If you go to the forum on MG and lid care you will see what others are doing which will give you ideas and allow you to experiment.
            How often ?
            I wouldnt do the full works more than twice a day - and once did me ,though you might feel the need of heat only more than that I have one of Rebeccas gel masks that heat in the microwave and in the past would have used that if my eyes gave me too much bother
            Thank God i have it well under control now and just do the full works - (my style) before bed ,and i hardly ever need drops now and can forget about my eyes most of the time - you will get there too but every one is a bit different -All the best

Comment

Lasiksurvior..

Thanks for the reply. I guess I can rule out that then, one down many more to go!

I will keep on with the hot compress because it feels good.

Best of luck with your treatment.

B.

Comment

I have read that it is a good procedure for anyone, blepharitis or not, because it contributes to good eye health if one has dry eye. Also, I have not been diagnosed with blepharitis and have none of the symptoms but my doctor said it is good to do anyway. If I skip even a day my eyes know it.

Also, about 2 years ago I noticed I was losing a lot of eyelashes or they were growing in crooked. My doctor says eyelid scrubs are good for this. I have been doing them daily for several months and I now have the thickest, lushest eyelashes I have had since I was in my 20's. I am 52. It is noticeable enough that women keep asking me if I have a new secret mascara that makes my eyelashes so full.

Comment

Working...
                X