Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ultimate 'expressing oil' thread

Hey all

I don't want to make another redundant thread but I am really having trouble performing the lid massages effectively enough to express a good amount of oil. I tried the Latkany method of rubbing a q-tip down my eyelids but this doesn't seem to work for me.

I've seen methods suggested where you get your finger and rub around the eyelids to express the oil. Could anyone explain the technique of doing this to me in more detail? Examples like how hard to do it, motions of finger/q-tip movement (whether it be straight down, circular motion etc) and also duration of rubbing. Also, where on the eyelid are you meant to press/rub? The upper part and then move downwards or just directly on the lid margins all the time?

If anyone could help me it'd be great because when I do by fluke manage to express some oil it feels soooooooooo great!!!

I basically use the Latkany method, as he illustrates in his book. I use a Q-tip, BUT I wet the end and pull off almost all the cotton (it's easier to remove it when it's wet). This leaves a stiff end that I use to sort of "poke" along at 8-10 points just right under the base of the lashes. I do the lower lid first, while pulling the eyelids out to the side with the forefinger of my other hand. Then I close my eyes slightly (while still stretching the lid out to the side) and go along the upper lid. Then I wet the other end of the Q-tip, and use that to gently rub the lower lid (the part of the lid closest to the eye surface--the "inner" lid---not the same as what you're pressing on to express the oil), and then the upper lid--to clean off any residue or oils that have been expressed. The upper lid is harder to clean. I pull down on my lower lid slightly, and then "trap" the upper lid open by pinning it to my brow bone while cleaning.

This only takes a few minutes. The main point is to take the cotton off one end of the Q-tip. Otherwise, the cotton end is too soft, too flexible, and too fibrous---to do a good job of pin-point pressing on the lids/glands.

This seems to work for me. I usually get a bit of oil going. Afterwards, I rinse out my eyes with a vial of PF tears. Then I wait 5 minutes, and put in FreshKote drops. After that, I'm good for 6 hours or so.

Calli

Comment

Wow, Calli, I can't even IMAGINE doing that without the cotton on the Q-tip. That skin is too sensitive not to have something padding it.
      I wet both ends of the Q-Tip with water or, preferably, Unisol (preservative-free saline) and then press with one end of the Q-tip all the way around. Then I use the clean-wet end of the Q-Tip to wipe off the lid margins (inner side of the lashes next to the eyeball).

Then I rinse out the eyes with either Unisol or PF drops.

By the way, since I have rosacea, I no longer use a hot compress before-hand. I do this right after I shower. While in the shower, I close my eyes and stick my face into the water and let the hot water bounce off of my eyelids.

After all that, I hold a cold compress on my eyes just so they're not irritated from the heat and the poking.

Arcaeon, Dr. Latkany watched how I do it and the two things I was doing wrong were:
      1. You have to get as close to the lash line as you can. I was a millimeter or so too low under my bottom lashes, which makes the lid sort of flip inside out and then you're not compressing the right spot.
      2. I wasn't doing it hard enough. It still kind of grosses me out, but you have to be making your eyeball move a bit or you're not pressing enough.

And be really careful with the Q-Tip...You don't want to poke yourself in the eye. I find I get more traction with the Q-Tip when it's wet, so it doesn't slide and possibly slide into my eye.

Calli, I don't know how you can do that without the cotton on the tip.

There are a number of sites that say to do this with your finger. You could but you have to make sure your nails are really short and your fingers are really clean. And you wouldn't be able to pinpoint the spots as well.

Comment

Yikes, I didn't know I would sound radical! Thanks for making me aware of that. I don't want anybody else to poke their eye because they tried my "method." Frankly, I never even thought....

I am so comfortable messing with my eyes---I guess that's why I can do that. I've also done a lot of small handwork; my hands are very steady. I've never "slipped" or even come close to poking myself. I started that method because the fuzzy fat soft Q-tip end was just not directing the pressure precisely enough (your points 1. and 2.). And the cotton wisps would get into my eyes, which I didn't like.

Calli

Comment

I do it much like NYer and I also cannot imagine not having the cotton on the tip. Even so I can get my eyes irritated if I am too rough. I do it in the shower too. I put my conditioner on my hair and let it sit while I hold a cloth to my eyes for 2-3 minutes with the warm water running through it. I use a vial of Refresh and rinse my eyes immediately after. I am kind of addicted to the procedure because it does make my day much better. Sometimes later in the day I wash my hands really good and just sort of massage that general area or repeatedly squeeze my eyes closed until a little oil goes up on them. I used to lose lashes a lot or have them grow in all crooked. This procedure over 7 months or so has left me with pretty lush eyelashes. I read that it means the tissue in that area is healthier again.

Comment

Do all of you always get a "blur" after doing Dr. L's method? He showed me how to do it in May (I've been doing it incorrectly 5 months prior to that), and I've only gotten a blur once since May in my better eye.

Is this supposed to be a few seconds of completely blurriness? My eyelids feel sticky afterwards, so something's happening, but no blurring...

Comment

I found that I had more blurring when I used a hot compress than now when I just have the shower water bouncing off of my eyelids. So I think the blur might be related to the hot compress rather than the oil. But I may be entirely wrong. I also never feel "good" or "relief" after doing the compressions. So I may be doing it wrong, too!

Comment

The blur can be such a split second for me that I used to think it was water in my eye that I blinked away. Generally I wake up with my eyes feeling kind of swollen and just yucky, but it takes 1-2 hours for the menthol feeling to set in. If I then hop in the shower and do the procedure, I am good for another few hours. It generally brings almost immediate relief for the "cool" feeling. This is only true when my eyes are having mild days. On really bad days the procedure only brings a little and very temporary relief, but overall I do know that it does work for me.

Comment

I don't get any blur either, i do steaming then apply a warm compress - the reason i do steaming first is i find the dry heat irriates my eyes a bit, then i do lid massaging, lid cleaning and apply drops.

I have gotton a BIT of relief since starting the compresses and lid cleaning but not anything amazing. They still dry out later in the day and air conditioning just KILLS my eyes and air con is just EVERYWHERE - shops, bars, niteclubs! All the places a young person like me should be hanging out!!!

I find also since doing the compresses etc the skin around my eyes is terrible - dry and sore! Could anyone recommend a very GENTLE eye cream i could use?

Comment

acarol, Steaming can really irritate your skin.. Think of steamed vegetables - they're cooking! You may want to try just taking a hot shower and letting the hot water bounce off of your close eyelids for a minute. The steam in the shower will help, too, and it's not so directed at your eyes and face.

Comment

When trying to clear my Meibimoian glands, I always try to apply pressure below my field of vision.

I use "finger rolls": with my eye open, I gently press a finger to the skin below my eye, then roll it upward toward the eye lid margin. I move the finger after each roll, generally picking a position at the outer corner, middle, and near the nose. I do roughly 30 rolls at each position.

I feel much safer using my finger since I am much less likely to poke myself in the eye than with a q-tip.

This method avoids pressing on the cornea, so should avoid any blur except that caused by the thick oily tears expressed.

Comment

Originally posted by NYer View Post
                        acarol, Steaming can really irritate your skin.. Think of steamed vegetables - they're cooking! You may want to try just taking a hot shower and letting the hot water bounce off of your close eyelids for a minute. The steam in the shower will help, too, and it's not so directed at your eyes and face.
                        I always thought steaming was good for the skin - isn't that why people go to steam rooms and saunas.

Comment

Yes but they don't stand right over the spout where the steam comes out. That's pretty much what you're doing when you hold your face over the pot of steaming water.
                          If it's irritating your face, it's not helping you.
                          Also, keep in mind that it was the Romans and Greeks and Turks (Mediterraneans) who started the steam bath concept. Not sensitive-fair-skinned Celtics.

Comment

Ya its only for 10 minutes every night though- don't think that will do too much damage - it is helping my eyes a little so i will continue doing it for the moment.

Comment

Don't want to be a nerd - but you are not steaming your face like veg - just holding it in hot vapour so you won't be causing damage! I expect you are holding your head over a bowl of steaming water with a towel on your head?
                              Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Working...
                              X