Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MGD - How do I know my warm compress is working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGD - How do I know my warm compress is working?

Greetings all!

After having recently been diagnosed with MGD I have started trying the warm compress treatment recommended on the web: I did a little searching about "MGD" since that was all I heard the doctor utter, told me it was "chronic", but did not tell me how to treat it except for using eye drops.

Anyway being new to it all I wanted to get some advice from the experts - you guys.

1. How do I know my warm compress is working?
    I've seen some posts that people say they can see a liquid being discharged when they massage after the warm compress...
    - Where does this liquid come from?
    - What does it look like?

2. Can hot showers, followed by massaging the lids while in the shower work as an alternative to warm compresses?
    I've found that any sort of warm compress I use, a wet cloth, a warm rice sock, etc. leave me with styes. If I just use the hot water in the shower to heat the oils and massage them while I'm in there, will that work the same as using a warm compress?

Apologies if these questions are being repeated, I've searched around but couldn't find the answers anywhere. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Compresses

I've been told that the shower technique is effective for MGD.

Kim
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

Hi,

Many people talk about "expressing the glands" and seeing "stuff" come out. I have to say I have never seen anything come out, though I like to think something is coming out. Sometimes I thiink my eyes have gone a little watery, or maybe that is oil, I really don't know, but rubbing it with the Q-tip could easily make it water.

Dr. Robert Latkany, in his book the "Dry Eye Remedy" suggests the shower and massage method as a good second choice if the first choice, hot compresses etc doesn't work for you, or you jsut don't have time for it.

I though have only being doing this process for a short time so I am a bit of a novice when it comes to this.

There is a member called MGD and if I remember correctly he has posted a few threads/posts on this topic. You can do a member search and then look up all posts by him...or you could just wait for a few more responces. It is something that somes up an awful lot as everyone wants to do it the "right way" but no one is 100% sure what way that is....or maybe they are an its me who just isn't 100% sure

Welcome,

Bernadette

Comment

To tell if oil is coming out, squeeze eyelid glands, lower lid by pulling eyelid down slightly and apply pressure from either side(you use both hands). Right above the lower eyelid, the margin closest to the eye, you will either see liquid or paste come out. try this after 5-10 mintues of compresses. Wish I could show you. Although, sometimes nothing may also come out.

Comment

I did it incorrectlly forever (I was trying it on my own as no doctor had recommended it). My new doctor instructed me how to do it and immediately I had great results.

I typically hear the oil squishing out and I feel it as well. You definitely can hear a squish or squeak like sound. At least I do.. I know you have to make sure you apply enough pressure or the oil will not come out-at least for me it didn't matter how much heat I used , if I didn't apply pressure the oil didn't come out and my eyes and lids were always read and inflammed-not anymore!

Good luck!
          Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
            I did it incorrectlly forever (I was trying it on my own as no doctor had recommended it). My new doctor instructed me how to do it and immediately I had great results.

I typically hear the oil squishing out and I feel it as well. You definitely can hear a squish or squeak like sound. At least I do.. I know you have to make sure you apply enough pressure or the oil will not come out-at least for me it didn't matter how much heat I used , if I didn't apply pressure the oil didn't come out and my eyes and lids were always read and inflammed-not anymore!

Good luck!
            Can you tell us more about how you changed your 'massage' technique?

Comment

Instead of using a q-tip I use my finger and apply firm pressure in a sweeping motion from the inner corner of my eye to the outer corner-I make sure to apply pressure over the entire eyelid as the glands are located throughout.

I didn't know how to do this correctly until my doctor had demonstrated it to me. You have to make sure you pull the eyelid taught to the side a bit and apply firm pressure. I would definitely ask your doctor to show you the proper technique. good luck
              Jenny

Comment

Working...
              X