cold compresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold compresses

I have not been so good this last while - I think i am becoming resistant to the antibiotic ointment i use on the lid margins every night,which had helped greatly in the past and which i have been using for the last 11 months
    Anyway i have been experiencing a recurrance of some of the symptoms of the bad old days -
    My eyelids prickle and itch and feel swollen - probably a flare up of the blepharitis - also red inside lids - eyes themselves not too bad though i have been using drops a lot more

Well i decided to use ice packs - I filled 2 little plastic bags about 3inches square with water and self -sealed the top and placed in the freezer( you can get these small plastic bags in a stationers - like where you buy pens pencils erasers ) I put them in a [I]thick[/I] cloth and placed them on my eyes for about 10 minutes
    That really seemed to reduce the inflamation and my eye lids felt and looked better for several hours

Just thought i would share this -- PS -- i still do the steaming/cleansing/ massage before bed every night

Stella, icepacks were the only thing that kept me from pulling my eyes out for the five years I was working with this affliction! I bought little gel-blue icepacks that would be cold if kept in the freezer. We had a frig at work so I kept one there and used it on lunch and breaks. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks for that Lucy - you are sooo experienced in these things
      I wish you did'nt have to be - but at least you can use your experiences to help some of us
      Thanks
      Stella

Comment

Interesting! I'm thinking of trying ice packs, my eyes have been really bad the last month, burning like crazy, (typical as the month before was my best-ever), and doing more heat hasn't helped me at all.
        just keep swimming...

Comment

I have to agree with Lucy on this one.

Icepacks have on some days been the only thing that kept me dealing with this, particularly after an erosion.

I bought the blue gel packs that you get in a pharmacy. The ones I have are brill as you can use them either hot or cold.

I leave one in the freezer for an icepack and I leave 1 in the cupboard, place it in boiling water (disclaimer - being very careful of course) to create a warm compress.

The gel ones are great, regardless of whether I use it hot or cold, I never put it directly on my face, I always wrap it in a microfibre cloth (being synthetic seems to generate more moisture) and then relax.

Hope this helps

Ian

Comment

Hi Ian
            Where do you get your gel packs?
            Are they specifically for eyes , or is it one of these rectangular ones you can use for headache or muscle spasm? Do they go over both eyes at once OK

Comment

Stella

I'm pretty sure I got mine from boots.

They are not specifically for eyes, they are the rectangle ones but they are specifically hot and cold packs.

Also, I reiterate that I use a microfibre cloth as it seems to work best, not sure what it is but works better than a normal flannel.

Yes, it covers both eyes.

I will be heading to town tomorrow (if time permits so I will check out my local boots and get a product code if I can).

Cheers

Ian

Comment

You may sometimes find these in a pharmacy as a headache remedy. I tried to make mine "hot" in the microwave awhile back and......well, it shrivled. I was sad as this was my favorite. I'm looking for another. Lucy
                Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Just rumaged around my ever increasing armoury of "fight the DES" stuff
                  I[B] found a small gel pack that Rebecca's shop does [/B I remember sending for it along with something else ???(now the little grey cells are not working - just to match the decaying eyes !)
                  Any way it is a coolmask that you put in the fridge -- It freezers OK

Thanks Ian - so helpful as always !

Comment

Working...
                  X