rice packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rice packs

For those of you that hot pack with rice packs, what do you suggest for this? I don't want to use any of my old socks so thinking about buying some new socks, and I'm wondering what type is better.

Thanks.

Pete, this is a thing that you can try and see if you like one thing better than another. The type of sock, well, if you're living with a wife, g/f, etc, it should be pretty easy to get hold of a pair of pantyhose, or knee high hose.
    Be sure and do not buy instant rice. Buy the kind you have to cook (but do not cook it for this process.)

Fill the end of the sock with rice and tie off with a piece of string, rubber band, whatever works. You can also buy a nice white pair of cotton socks and try using them. Could be mens or womens, doesn't matter. You can compare sizes if you buy them and get what you want. This tied off sock filled with rice is your rice baggie. Any kind of sock you pick will probably be just fine. Lucy

P.S. The baggie in the Dry Eye Store is wonderful. I love mine. I used to use pantyhose, but I'm going with the big time now.
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
      Pete, this is a thing that you can try and see if you like one thing better than another. The type of sock, well, if you're living with a wife, g/f, etc, it should be pretty easy to get hold of a pair of pantyhose, or knee high hose.
      Be sure and do not buy instant rice. Buy the kind you have to cook (but do not cook it for this process.)

Fill the end of the sock with rice and tie off with a piece of string, rubber band, whatever works. You can also buy a nice white pair of cotton socks and try using them. Could be mens or womens, doesn't matter. You can compare sizes if you buy them and get what you want. This tied off sock filled with rice is your rice baggie. Any kind of sock you pick will probably be just fine. Lucy

P.S. The baggie in the Dry Eye Store is wonderful. I love mine. I used to use pantyhose, but I'm going with the big time now.

Well I have a female roommate and not sure I am comfortable asking her for that. A regular pair of white socks would work as long as it's long enough?

I noticed the baggie in the store, but thought I should try my own first and see how I like it. My dr suggested the rice is better because it stays warm longer.

Comment

Yes Pete, as long as it's long enough. Any adult sock--and you can decide just how much rice you want to put in it. You might just fill up the foot part of the sock and tie off at the cuff. Experiment a little and see what feels best.

I warm mine in the microwave with a glass of water in the microwave.
        This is just a personal thing, but it puts some moisture in the contents. Try warming for 1.5 minutes at first and see if it is hot enough. I know you'll work this thing out. Practice makes perfect, and the best part is that no one will see it, at least from DEZ. Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
          Yes Pete, as long as it's long enough. Any adult sock--and you can decide just how much rice you want to put in it. You might just fill up the foot part of the sock and tie off at the cuff. Experiment a little and see what feels best.

This is just a personal thing, but it puts some moisture in the contents. Try warming for 1.5 minutes at first and see if it is hot enough. I know you'll work this thing out. Practice makes perfect, and the best part is that no one will see it, at least from DEZ. Lucy

I absolutely agree with Lucy on this one with regards to the water.

If you microwave it without the water you run the risk of burning the rice.

I had my mum whip up a rectangle pouch our of some white towelling and filled it with rice.

I microwave it then wrap it in a microfibre cloth as it seems to produce more moisture and makes a huge difference for me anyway.

Good luck

Ian

Comment

Be careful about heating water in the microwave. You run the risk of superheating the water above normal boiling temperature and it can then suddenly explode out of it's container the instant the container is moved and cause you serious burns (as if we don't already have enough problems).

See link: http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/superheating.html

prattstar's method (or similar) may be safer...

Comment

wrap rice baggy with a baby washcloth

I've just started using these on a more regular basis, but have used the knee high pantyhose to hold the rice and then wrap it with a baby washcloth after microwaving. They're thin and soft and feel very nice on sore eyes. Also they're very affordable for a pack of six and then just toss them in the wash every couple days.

Comment

Working...
              X